Another Newbie

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

Malibu
Silver Member

Re: Another Newbie

Post by Malibu »

maartendas wrote:Welcome Malibu, you are right this is a nice place to hang around :)
Just curious: What was the specific boy choir sound you were looking for? What did you have in mind while you were searching?
Thanks. I don't know how to describe it, but it's the sound that Libera has. I guess you could just call it the angelic sound. I listened to many different choirs as I was searching, but nothing caught my ear until I heard Libera.

There are 2 things that kind of got me looking for this sound. First, was when I was watching the funeral of Pope John Paul II. The Sistine Choir was singing and I liked the sound. The funny thing is, I searched for that type of sound after hearing, but I kept searching for "chambers choir" or "church choir" or something similar. It never even occurred to me to search for "boy choir", so I eventually gave up.

The next time I really started searching was after I heard this song by Trans Siberian Orchestra when I was making my Christmas playlist last year.
[youtube][/youtube]
The children singing gave me the chills. After finding the video on youtube, and even though that video has mostly girls singing I loved the sound and it finally dawned on me to search for "boy choir" and after hours of searching for that type of sound...I found Libera! And the rest they say, is history.

Sorry for the long answer to a short question :)
Lead, kindly light amid the circling gloom.
Lead thou me on.
The night is dark and I am far from home.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Thanks Malibu, nice story ;) It can be hard to find a certain sound once you heard it but don't know how to describe it, and a great relief when you find it :)
The only downside to this is - it's hard if not impossible to find similar choirs to Libera - I mean there are a lot of amazing boy choirs out there but they are all very traditional. I know the Vienna Boys Choir (Wiener Sängerknaben) tried their hand at something different but it didn't quite get the warm reception Libera gets ;) (at least not everywhere, I am still too unfamiliar with it myself to really judge it). So, yes the angelic sound of boy trebles can be found in a wide range but the specific Libera sound is still unique in the world (and I often wonder why this is so).

Anyway, great to have you on board :)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Malibu
Silver Member

Post by Malibu »

I agree that it is hard to find sounds similar to Libera. I have heard the Vienna Boy's Choir, but I'm not a fan. I think part of it is the heavy German accent. No offense to our German speaking members, but German is just not a "beautiful" sounding language. Some of the other choirs I heard seemed almost like they didn't want the boys to sing high. They were higher than adult men, but not like Libera.

Since getting into this music a little more I've found a few other other songs here and there by other choirs I like, but not entire albums like Libera.
Lead, kindly light amid the circling gloom.
Lead thou me on.
The night is dark and I am far from home.