QUESTION FOR USA LIBERA FANS!

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

andiemusic27

QUESTION FOR USA LIBERA FANS!

Post by andiemusic27 »

Hi everyone. I have a few questions for Libera fans in the US, so please read on! I intend on using your answers to the best of my ability to promote Libera to more new fans and reach existing fans with information about the group.

I am an intern for EMI Classics (the record label which Libera is signed to) therefore my greatest interest is in promoting Libera to new audiences and spreading the popularity. I discovered them since I started working with this music company and have taken an interest myself. Basically I am trying to figure out who exactly the Libera fans ARE here in the US, and where they are, so I can get a better understanding of how they can be reached. These forums are definitely a great way, but if you have any other insight, it would make it much easier for us to grow Libera's fanbase even further.

Some things I am wondering are: How did you find out about Libera? What made you become a fan? For example - are you a young choir student who studies choral music? Are you an adult who saw an album in the store and picked it up at random? Did you see a live Libera performance? Hear about them at your church? Stumble upon them on YouTube by accident?

Importantly, if you are a Libera fan, I'd love to know what region of the US you are from. The 'Peace' album sold the best in Denver CO and San Francisco CA and I am personally very curious as to why this may be.

The more information I have on how to reach Libera fans in the United States, the more updates and news we will be able to share directly with you - the fans. That is our main goal. I'd love it if you could provide any information that you may want to share.

Thanks, and keep listening!
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

I'm not from the US but I guess 'YouTube' and the 'PBS broadcast special of their concert at Leiden' are the two driving factors behind Libera's success in America. If you are an insider at US EMI - maybe you could drop few hints to fund another Live DVD! we're overdue one ;-)
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
plumpuff6
Silver Member

Post by plumpuff6 »

I found out about Libera on iTunes. I was looking for "Pachelbel's Canon" or something to listen to, and stumbled upon "Sanctus" from the 2006 Angel Voices album. I was so impressed by it that I bought the album from iTunes and have been a fan ever since around 2008. I had previously listened to other treble choral music such as the Vienna Boys' Choir and the King's College Choir and Westminster and so on, but I find myself enjoying Libera's sound the most and must confess I listen to those other choirs only rarely now, although they also have a beautiful sound.

I am from the Twin Cities area in Minnesota.
et laudate Domino in laetitia
et cantate Domino gloria
saecula et saeculorum, Alleluia
jesuspeace34

Post by jesuspeace34 »

I am a young adult from Florida which is in the Southeastern part of the U.S. I found Libera through Youtube. I became a fan as soon as I heard Salva Me by Steven Deraghty. The one thing thats hard is that I wish that Libera was found more in stores and on the radio. Everything that I have seen from Libera is online. One time I emailed a religious radio station requesting Libera. They responded saying that they do not play choir music, which doesn't make sense to me because it is a religious radio station. I would love to see Libera CD's and DVD's here more because then I think more people would know about it. Heck, I wish I had a Libera bumper sticker so I could put it on my car, which would let people know that Libera is around. Then again, if I had a lot of money I would paint one of their CD covers on my car. I hope they can perform here in Florida. I would be advertising like crazy. I probably put some non-relevant information here, but I hope this helps. :)
Molly Weasley

Post by Molly Weasley »

I am a young adult from the southeastern part of the US, and I found out about Libera when my choir teacher used them as a listening example during our midterm exam. I would love for Libera to become more popular in the US, so I hope this helps!
Rebecca (:
Platinum Member

Post by Rebecca (: »

I've also posted this on the Angel Voices group, but I'll copy and paste it here :D

I'll do my best to answer all of these, and I hope it helps!
I'm 14 years old and discovered Libera when I was 11 (not many fans are in this age range at all, though). I discovered them the night before a choir solo contest where I would be singing the song "Evening Prayer" or "Prayer" as Libera calls it. I went to YouTube to look for it and stumbled apon their version, BUT before even hearing the first note of Tom and Ed's singing the 1999 version of "Sanctus" caught my attention for some reason and I clicked on it. Right away I was shocked. I sat there with my mouth wide open, just staring. Befor I knew it I'd watched every video I could get my hands on. Then, some 2 and a half odd years later I found the whole Libera community online, and shortly after than began going to concerts!
I'm from Texas (Houston), but unfortuntly I was not able to go when they last came here. They seem to have an okay following here, and I'm able to find their CD's in almost every store that sells music!
chris17

Post by chris17 »

I'm 17 years old and from Washington state (northwest US; not Washington DC). I originally discovered Libera while looking for a good version of Do You Hear What I Hear on iTunes. I eventually found the version on Angel Voices 3, and I knew I liked boy treble music so I looked up the album on Amazon, which recommended Libera albums. :)
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I'm a codger from Virginia. I first encountered Libera accidentally in 2005 on the internet, the Real Rhapsody site. I was searching for "Adeimus", but the search came up with Libera's "Adoramus" instead. For quite awhile the only contact with Libera I had was on YouTube, then in 2006 Barnes And Noble began carrying a few of their albums.

I think you'll find that many of the people here first encountered Libera on YouTube. While YouTube offers the possibility of mass exposure for a group like Libera, people only get exposed if they go looking for them.

If only there were some way of enticing people to get acquainted with Libera on YouTube.......
Benj
Silver Member

Post by Benj »

If EMI wants to know what would sell more than a new Libera album, well it's a new Libera Live concert dvd!

I not sure if i saw EMI's logo in their latest video but in case they haven't seen it, Libera's got a new terrific main soloist to perfectly lead a new live concert dvd.

Libera already has a solid fan base all over the world, not just the US. They've done that with almost no promotions at all. Just a few tv commercials here and there, it doesn't take a genius to figure out they're the easiest artists to sell.
little-miss-sunshine

Post by little-miss-sunshine »

I'm from Chicago and I found them on accident through Youtube.
The first song I heard was "Sanctus". I looked up more songs and loved the whole "modern classical" aspect to it.
Thunderhawk261
Silver Member

Post by Thunderhawk261 »

I'm a middle-aged divorced father of four from Round Rock, Texas. I stumbled upon the Far Away video on YouTube quite by accident (while looking for a Shrek clip for my kid--no kidding) shortly after my divorce was final. I viewed all of the concert footage from Leiden. I was amazed at what I heard. I credit Libera's music for helping me through the darkest part of my life and for helping me become more spiritual. Last summer I attended both concerts in Dallas and Fort Worth. Like previous posters have mentioned, another concert DVD would be much welcomed (and please have them come back to Texas).
javerylibe

Post by javerylibe »

I can't speak for myself, but I did a bit of poking about in the (admittedly very elementary) demographic statistics on Libera's official Youtube account.

Among viewers who self-report their age, sex, and location:

• Libera's videos are far and away most popular with men aged 45-54 and men aged 55-64. Coming up behind them in the third-most-represented demographic tend to be, depending on the video, either men aged 35-44 or women of a similar age group. Young women aged 13-17 appear in the demographic rankings, but only quite rarely.

• The United States, whether due to higher-than-usual access or higher-than-usual interest, is absolutely one of the biggest consumers of Libera music, at least through Youtube. According to the Youtube maps, the States join Japan, the Philippines, and Britain as the world's most likely online consumers of Libera material.
Malibu
Silver Member

Post by Malibu »

I'm new here, but I saw this thread and thought I would reply.

I found Libera after intensely looking for a particular 'boy choir' sound. I searched Google and went through many websites of different choirs but didn't find the sound I wanted until I finally came across Libera's website. I probably searched for several hours to find it. What hooked me was the "You Were There" video that was on the webiste. After watching that vid I decided to order Eternal since I figured that would give me the biggest range to songs to decide if I truly wanted to continue to listen. Now I have Angel Voices 3, Peace Deluxe, and Angel Voices in Concert DVD.
I've always liked the boy choir sound so when I heard Libera I became a fan almost instantly. I'm not into any other choral music, but I just love Libera's sound.
After first discovering them, I went to Youtube and watched every video I could find. The Youtube vids are how I truely 'learned' about Libera as a group, and became of a fan of the boys themselves.
I live in a suburb of Detroit, and managed to make it to 2 concerts in Canada (absolutely wonderful by the way). I'm 27 and male, so I'm probably not in Libera's usual audience demographic. Other than Libera I usually listen to Pop, Rap, Rock and Country.
Unfortunately I don't know how to better market Libera in the US. I did go to FYE (a music store chain in the US) to see if they had any Libera CD's and they did have a section for them, but there were no CD's available (I checked twice over a couple of weeks). It would be better if the store could keep the CD's in stock more often.
Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to include a lot of information.
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

Malibu wrote:I'm new here, but I saw this thread and thought I would reply.

Hey Malibu,

Welcome to Libera Dreams.
We are a friendly bunch here, stick around for all the lastest information and gossip :)
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
BrightEyes
Silver Member

Re: QUESTION FOR USA LIBERA FANS!

Post by BrightEyes »

Hey guys,

I'm kind of late to this thread, but here's how I first heard of Libera...

I'm from Sacramento, CA and way back about 1999 or so I found the first "Libera" CD in a local record store, "Tower Records" in the classical music section, where I was looking for boy choir music.

I'm not too sure on the first CD I bought. It may have been one of the "Angel Voices" CD's from St. Philips Boys Choir. It's been too many years ago and now it's kind of like what came first the chicken, or the egg.

I know that all of their early CD's had the white swan on the cover, so once I got this home and found out just how fantastic this music was, I researched online and quickly found that St. Philips Boys Choir and Libera were basically the same, and quickly picked up all the CD's I could. I've been a dedicated fan ever since.
"How can the light that burned so brightly, Suddenly burn so pale?"