Royal Wedding 2011

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

maartendas
Diamond Member

Royal Wedding 2011

Post by maartendas »

Maybe nice/a good idea for a topic of its own about the royal wedding yesterday. If for any reason, then to post this video, I think possibly for me the musical highlight of the ceremony at Westminster Abbey (the most impressive part of the whole day for me anyway - although it was hard not to be moved by the car ride afterwards and the crowds at the palace).
The setting for unaccompanied choir by Paul Mealor of this famous Latin text ("Where there is love and friendship, there is God") must be one of the most moving and beautiful choral pieces in the British tradition:

[youtube][/youtube]
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Yes, must agree with you Maartendas a stunningly beautiful piece of music.

I didn't see the wedding - as we were kindly given the day off in celebration (!) I played golf with a few friends then headed in to town for a drink or two. Boy was I rough today.
Last edited by Yorkie on Sun May 01, 2011 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

Sounds nice, thanks for posting, Maartendas!

Regarding the wedding and queuing, I heard that some of the 'Royal' fans took the best places already on Wednesday :lol: (if I heard correctly)
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

Yorkie wrote:Yes, must agree with you Maartendas a stunningly beautiful piece of music.

I didn't see the wedding - as we were kindly given the day of in celebration (!) I played golf with a few friends then headed in to town for a drink or two. Boy was I rough today.
Yes I agree a nice piece of music.

To be honest, I'm not much of a patriot myself, and the thought of watching a couple of snobs getting married bores me, although I did appreciate an extra day from work, much needed to get over my jet lag from Canada.

A drink or two ???

Must have been a few more than two, unless you northerners can't hold your drink ;)

By the way Andy, I though Billy Elliot was an excellent show in Canada, had me laughing loads, ill be heading to London to see it again at the first opportunity taking advantage of the cheap seats that I hear are available ;).
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

paul30003 wrote: A drink or two ???

Must have been a few more than two, unless you northerners can't hold your drink ;)

By the way Andy, I though Billy Elliot was an excellent show in Canada, had me laughing loads, ill be heading to London to see it again at the first opportunity taking advantage of the cheap seats that I hear are available ;).
Well, I think it was the cocktails that did form me. The Cosmopolitan was nice but I think the frozen strawberry Margaritas took me over the edge.......

Re Billy (sorry Maartendas) yes, I read your blog so knew you liked it. I'm down in London on the 12th - there is a small chance I'll make the show........... :wink:

Now, to get back on topic, the best part of the wedding (after the singing) was the cartwheeling Verger:

[youtube][/youtube]

Mercy & Love
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

Yorkie wrote:
paul30003 wrote: A drink or two ???

Well, I think it was the cocktails that did form me. The Cosmopolitan was nice but I think the frozen strawberry Margaritas took me over the edge.......

Re Billy (sorry Maartendas) yes, I read your blog so knew you liked it. I'm down in London on the 12th - there is a small chance I'll make the show........... :wink:

Now, to get back on topic, the best part of the wedding (after the singing) was the cartwheeling Verger:

[youtube][/youtube]
Sory Maartendas, drifted a little ot

The cartwheeling verger was funny :D
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

- Plato
Rebecca (:
Platinum Member

Post by Rebecca (: »

The choir sounded excellent! :)

About the cartwheel - HAHAHA! :lol: I find that really funny!
Actually, after the Libera concert I was doing some flips and cartwheels in the parking lot, since I was so happy.... :roll:
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Rebecca (: wrote: About the cartwheel - HAHAHA! :lol: I find that really funny!
Actually, after the Libera concert I was doing some flips and cartwheels in the parking lot, since I was so happy.... :roll:
So that's the effect choirs have on some people... not on me unfortunately ;)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

maartendas wrote:
Rebecca (: wrote: About the cartwheel - HAHAHA! :lol: I find that really funny!
So that's the effect choirs have on some people... not on me unfortunately ;)
If i was 25 years younger, I would have been cartwheeling after the Canada concerts ;)

- Plato
Rebecca (:
Platinum Member

Post by Rebecca (: »

Well, I had to get my energy out somehow :lol: and it probably helps that I was a competetive cheerleader and gymnast for 10 years before I switched to music!

Just finished watching a recorded version of the wedding! It was all so beuatiful! I sang along to Jerusalem, and really enjoyed all the other songs as well! But I must say, some of the hats were... :shock:
libera36

Post by libera36 »

Rebecca (: wrote:But I must say, some of the hats were... :shock:
:lol: My thoughts exactly! :wink:
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

What's a Verger?
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

TullyBascombe wrote:What's a Verger?
A verger (or virger, so called after the staff of the office, Latin virga = twig, rod) is a person, usually a layman, who assists in the ordering of religious services, particularly in Anglican churches.

- Plato
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

paul30003 wrote:
TullyBascombe wrote:What's a Verger?
A verger (or virger, so called after the staff of the office, Latin virga = twig, rod) is a person, usually a layman, who assists in the ordering of religious services, particularly in Anglican churches.
As Paul says and they do all the grunt work for services by getting everything set up ready for the priests to come in and do there stuff (chalices, communion wine, wafers, incense, etc). At Westminster Abbey you can also see them walking ahead of the important people holding a silver rod out in front of them - the idea being that in less polite and busier times when the Abbey was packed with the great unwashed, people had to get out of the way of the rod thus clearing a path for the Verger + priest/VIP to walk through.

Mercy & Love
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I've heard that back in colonial times the rod was used to help the parishoners pay attention to the sermon.