Libera Members Time Line

Current and former Members of Libera

Moderator: Moderators

Dinedorelle
Silver Member

Re: Libera Members Time Line

Post by Dinedorelle »

The Furby wrote: <span title="Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:07 pm">4 years ago</span> Well done Dinedorelle ! :D This boy was actually among the ones I sent to Ben C for identification.
More pics :

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Thanks The Furby :). It was actually really enjoyable listening to Libera's old songs whilst scouring the comments!

It seems you posted a reply whilst I was typing my last one, so it was really interesting to see that you agreed with my 1995 choice of Joe (and bamboo's too) if that's who they were referring to!

Your 4th image that comes from this video https://libera-passion.exprimetoi.net/t ... bera#27907 was broadcast in 1998 and seems just right for his age - shame he has the hood up. I'm still not totally convinced it's him though ; there are only 12 known boys' images from that year on the Time Line, and that wouldn't make up a group. There are most likely another 6 or so we still don't know anything about. Hopefully his mother will come to our aid!
Your 6th image that comes from this video https://libera-passion.exprimetoi.net/t ... bera#27909 was broadcast in 2000. Apart from the hair colour it does look very much like him; same haircut, face shape, and I think more importantly his height. He's quite tall in this video as he's not on a step and he's almost as tall as Sam Coates (who is stood on the step behind). I'm going to put him in with a question mark!

When you asked Ben Crawley, obviously he didn't divulge his name, but did he confirm all those photos were of the same boy?
The Furby

Post by The Furby »

Actually I didn't send him these pics. When updating my video topic at LP a couple of months ago I took the opportunity to screen cap every Angel Voices / SPBC video. I'm currently sorting them out.

The images I sent Ben Crawley were the 3 posted here (#6): http://www.forum.libera-dreams.com/view ... =38&t=3196
Although he didn't confirm they show the same boy I'm positive they do :)
Dinedorelle
Silver Member

Post by Dinedorelle »

Can anyone tell me the name of this lad?
I can name everyone else, but he's a bit of a mystery!

The screenshot is from Libera in 2005 singing Adoramus on their first Korean tour.

At 7:15/7:52 you can see comparative heights, and he's the same as Raoul.
It surely can't be Nathaniel Webb can it?

fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Dinedorelle wrote: Can anyone tell me the name of this lad?
Could it be Samir Abouelfaid ?

The Furby

Post by The Furby »

I concur with f_d_L, Samir Abouelfaid it is :)

South Korea tour 2005, recorded for TV.
Here's a clearer image of the boys (same show, different song) :
https://libera-passion.exprimetoi.net/t ... bera#27863
Dinedorelle
Silver Member

Post by Dinedorelle »

Thanks to you both. Yes, now I see that it’s him!
Don’t know why I didn’t look at my own Time Line though? All the clues were there! :roll:
Dinedorelle
Silver Member

Post by Dinedorelle »

I'd like to open up parts of the Time Line for a more general edit, so everyone can have a say as to my choices, in a slightly fun way.

To do this, I've made a section of it semi-interactive.
For this challenge, I've started with images of all the known boys from 1987 and the known boys from 1988. They all appear on a new spreadsheet,
'FACE MATCH 1987/1988'.

Here's a snapshot of part of the page:

Every reader of this post can access the challenge by clicking the link below. It'll take you to a Google Sheet that you personally can edit: in this case the task is to match up the boys' faces from the two years. I've made it as simple as possible within the constraints of Google Sheets.
You're free to add your Libera Dreams name on the sheet, or play anonymously if you'd still like to have a go. If you're not an active member of this post or of Libera Dreams in general, your opinion still counts; or even if you'd like to see how others have matched up the faces, it's all free and open to view.

After a period I'd like to use your choices to refine the main Time Line.

There are simple instructions on how to play at the foot of the page - it's just a matter of cutting and pasting.
There are 8 Player spaces, so first-come-first-served. I'll add more if needs be.
Tip: reduce the Zoom to 50% before you start to make everything easier to view.

bamboo
Silver Member

Post by bamboo »

Dinedorelle wrote: <span title="Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:17 pm">4 years ago</span> Image
Just curious, where did you get the photos from? YouTube videos? Do you happen to have the exact link to these videos?
Dinedorelle
Silver Member

Post by Dinedorelle »

bamboo wrote: <span title="Fri May 01, 2020 5:10 pm">4 years ago</span> Just curious, where did you get the photos from? YouTube videos? Do you happen to have the exact link to these videos?
They're not from videos bamboo - they're just tidied-up images from the covers of two St. Philips Boys Choir singles.

The 1987 boys are from this:

and the 1988 boys are from this:
Wolf

Post by Wolf »

Didn't think I'd enjoy it so much but that was a fun exercise, and well organized. Thanks :)

Also, I believe one of the images is mirrored (hard to be 100% certain as only a few of the boys have partings, and photo resolution/angle makes discerning hair direction difficult).
Dinedorelle
Silver Member

Post by Dinedorelle »

Wolf wrote: <span title="Sat May 02, 2020 2:26 am">4 years ago</span> Didn't think I'd enjoy it so much but that was a fun exercise, and well organized. Thanks :)

Also, I believe one of the images is mirrored (hard to be 100% certain as only a few of the boys have partings, and photo resolution/angle makes discerning hair direction difficult).
Thanks Wolf for entering into the spirit of the game :) You've given some excellent feedback, and made some interesting choices!
In fact, I'm pretty sure you've recognised a few boys that I hadn't, when I first tried to link the two years together.

Would you be kind enough to highlight where you thought the images where mirrored please?
You seem pretty adept at using Google Sheets, so you could just highlight the two.
Also, I added two extra columns so you could add your last two newbie boys to the 1988 line, and complete your match.
The Furby

Post by The Furby »

Dinedorelle, I must say this collaborative idea of yours is brilliant !
It's fun, user-friendly and it will certainly help getting a better picture of these early boys.
Thanks a lot for taking the time to set everything up.
Wolf

Post by Wolf »

Dinedorelle wrote: <span title="Sat May 02, 2020 12:28 pm">4 years ago</span>
Thanks Wolf for entering into the spirit of the game :) You've given some excellent feedback, and made some interesting choices!
In fact, I'm pretty sure you've recognised a few boys that I hadn't, when I first tried to link the two years together.

Would you be kind enough to highlight where you thought the images where mirrored please?
You seem pretty adept at using Google Sheets, so you could just highlight the two.
Also, I added two extra columns so you could add your last two newbie boys to the 1988 line, and complete your match.
Quietly confident in my choices! Would've felt near impossible had you not taken such care to splice up the photos.

By mirrored, I mean to say the entire photo (as shown on album cover) is backwards, rather than individual portraits.

If you take a look at #3, #4, #13 on my sheet I think there's a good argument the partings make more sense on the opposite side, with the boys being clear matches. Less obviously, I think #14 would match better when mirrored, and there's some more subtle hints in others but they would be confirmation bias more than evidence. Thought it's worth mentioning as it might throw people off a little with their matches.
Dinedorelle
Silver Member

Post by Dinedorelle »

Wolf wrote: <span title="Sat May 02, 2020 10:32 pm">4 years ago</span>
Quietly confident in my choices! Would've felt near impossible had you not taken such care to splice up the photos.

By mirrored, I mean to say the entire photo (as shown on album cover) is backwards, rather than individual portraits.

If you take a look at #3, #4, #13 on my sheet I think there's a good argument the partings make more sense on the opposite side, with the boys being clear matches. Less obviously, I think #14 would match better when mirrored, and there's some more subtle hints in others but they would be confirmation bias more than evidence. Thought it's worth mentioning as it might throw people off a little with their matches.
That's a very interesting point Wolf. Thanks for pointing that out. I see now how some of the boys who have obvious partings on one particular side are mirrored between the two years.
That means that one of the group photos was printed in reverse. I've looked at a few YouTube videos and all those I've seen confirm that the 1988 group photo is the correct orientation, and the 1987 one is backward.
I've now flipped all the 1987 images on your sheet horizontally - have a look, it makes quite a difference :wink:
Dinedorelle
Silver Member

Post by Dinedorelle »

The Furby wrote: <span title="Sat May 02, 2020 3:48 pm">4 years ago</span> Dinedorelle, I must say this collaborative idea of yours is brilliant !
It's fun, user-friendly and it will certainly help getting a better picture of these early boys.
Thanks a lot for taking the time to set everything up.
Thanks The Furby too for your encouragement.
I guess I was expecting those who were interested in gaining some extra knowledge about the old boys to help out as much as they were able, and many really have been invaluable, but then I realised that they couldnt interact very much without me opening up the whole Time Line for everyone to edit.
So I thought maybe I could open up small sections and let anyone try out their observational skills. The few that have tried have really helped a lot so far.

I've some pretty clear images of all the 21 boys from January 1985 which I might put up later if anyone's interested.
Anyone recognise these two?

Image Image