From a Distance - Hope

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

Jack

From a Distance - Hope

Post by Jack »

Hey all,

I would like to give a shout-out to "From a Distance" from the "Hope" album. This version is not just about the sound – it's a masterpiece in quality, length and lyrics (very relevant these times).
There's something about this one that stands out – the clarity, the precision in the harmonies, the layers. It's pure Libera, but like HiFi. The other versions of this song (different album, live, etc) are good too, but this one seems extremely pure in sound.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this version.

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: From a Distance - Hope

Post by Surpinto »

100% agree!

Perhaps I'm a touch ignorant but I didn't really know this song prior to Libera's release of it, though I realize it’s well known. Anyway, the lyrics and singing are so poignant in difficult times….and that’s really the point I think :)

Definitely touching and pure in word, melody, and expression.

The studio version is of course the best due to the ability to re-record unlike the live BBC version; though I do wish they had made a studio recording of this song with Merlin (the soloist in the video) as I think his voice was uniquely suited to the song based upon my hearing him sing in live in concert.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Absolutely agree. There is also something so beautiful about children singing it. From a distance, you look like my friend, even though we are at war... heartbreaking.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Jack wrote: <span title="Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:00 pm">3 months ago</span> Absolutely agree. There is also something so beautiful about children singing it. From a distance, you look like my friend, even though we are at war... heartbreaking.
Yup!
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

I very much enjoyed Nathan's live performance on the U.S. tour.
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Post by theriverflowson »

Jack wrote: <span title="Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:00 pm">3 months ago</span> Absolutely agree. There is also something so beautiful about children singing it. From a distance, you look like my friend, even though we are at war... heartbreaking.
It is the first line that comes to my mind when thinking about the song. It breaks down the message to such an innocent view of the world that only children have (or at least should have...). Combined with the pure, bright Libera sound it is indeed heartbreaking.

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:08 am">3 months ago</span> I very much enjoyed Nathan's live performance on the U.S. tour.
Wow, would have loved to witness this!
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!