2023 US Tour

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: 2023 US Tour

Post by Surpinto »

Oh how I wish that I was joining them in San Francisco and Los Angeles after the amazing performance that I witnessed last night in New York. Sadly finances don't allow such travels but the concert was so incredible I must write a second review to convey some of the differences in the performances. As usual these will just be my personal highlights rather than an extensive detailed review of all songs.

This time we were in a smaller space and unlike the basilica there was no large area for them to move around. A small stage was constructed in front of the altar and choir stall area. Riverside Church, NYC is a large church to be sure but smaller than the massive basilica, and the pews are situated much closer to the front. Had they been singing from the choir stalls for a service there would have been some, but not much, distance between us in the audience/pews; but due to the fact that they were singing from a small constructed stage we were exceptionally close to them. This allowed us to not only see them better but also to hear their natural voices and not just through the amplification equipment.

This was especially notable with Nathan who has such a beautiful voice! I could hear him quite distinctly as he sang right in front of me in various songs. I'm not even referring here to his solos by the way!

Highlights this time for me included, unexpectedly, "Sanctus". I've known this song for so long it's not one that ought to impress me but, when the sound is really working in a space, you can hear all of the different voice parts in in a way that is by no means apparent in the recording. In the recording everything is nicely blended together and the song is a classic Libera song for a very good reason. But on stage, and if the audio conditions are just right, you can actually see them duetting back and forth between the higher trebles and the lower trebles. Yes for sure you can hear this on the album but it's more distinct in concert when seeing it. I was really moved and impressed by this piece, pulled in musically speaking.

Now in writing this review I was hoping to add new commentary about songs I didn't write about previously but I would be totally remiss if I didn't mention Luca on "Ave Maria" again. He sang it even better than in DC and I didn't think that was even possible. His execution was not only good but absolutely flawless, his voice is like cutting through slightly melted butter. That buttery soft and smooth quality coupled with his impeccable delivery was beyond reproach. Absolutely beautiful!

I'm further compelled to mention "Ave Verum" again which probably was the most impressive piece in New York as it was in DC particularly for the uninitiated. One can see real operatic type training with Freddie based on how he was moving his body and mouth so as to maintain vocal control. I've only ever seen that kind of body movement (to that extent anyway) with professional adult classical singers.

Next we come to "O Beata". While I liked this song in DC it somehow sounded better this time. Mitchel and Victor have a wonderful duet on this song, singing the solo parts together at the same time. I complimented Mitchel's voice in my prior review, but the second time around I really heard him on this particular song. His voice has a certain lightness to it, a certain sweetness, like a feather on the wind that might float away at any moment, and yet doesn't. Yet his singing isn't all light and air, as he entices and beguiles you into the song with him.

His performance this time on "Smile" was also incredible. As mentioned in the previous review, I've never heard so much emotion added to a song from a singer who wasn't an experienced adult performer. When I wrote that other review I had wondered if perhaps it was a fluke of some sort, a one-off. No way! This was absolutely intentional and he did it again this time. Incredible!

Another interesting highlight this time that I didn't discuss before is Daniel on "God Only Knows". This song was done as a duet with him and Luca. Luca does a commendable job on this piece but I want to focus on Daniel here. Daniel has a very interesting range at this stage of his vocal development. It's like a staircase rather than a slide. In one verse he climbs to a higher stair to sing in the more alto register, and then on the next he steps down a few steps to sing in the tenor range. It doesn't appear that he can easily "slide" along the entire spectrum of that vocal range at this point if that makes sense. But he seems to be able to access particular sub ranges within his vocal capacities. Absolutely amazing that he can maneuver between these different rungs on his vocal ladder. And, yes, I'm mixing metaphors here so what of it? :lol:

Then we come to an unexpected descant singer Oskar H who didn't sing at the DC concert but was apparently doing the high notes on "Vespera" I was told. I didn't see it myself because from my vantage point I couldn't see that part of the stage, but if so we have a strong voice from a fairly small boy. We'll see what happens with him as time goes on!

An interesting tidbit: Dominik may have been (if I'm not mistaken) the only individually mic'd older lower range boy in the group. I could definitely make out his nice lower voice during some of the lower parts.

With all of that said, the choir as a whole sounded absolutely brilliant once again. I didn't hear any notable flaws in the execution of the group as a whole and it seems that they do better with a slightly larger compliment of singers as is the case this time.

I know that I'm failing to mention so many songs and so many soloists who did a phenomenal job at this concert. There's so much more that could be said about this performance but I want to just focus on my own personal highlights and the things that moved me and which I can easily express here. For those of you seeing them in San Francisco and/or LA please keep us posted because you're in for an unforgettable performance.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:09 pm">9 months ago</span> Then we come to an unexpected descant singer Oscar H who didn't sing at the DC concert but was apparently doing the high notes on "Vespera" I was told. I didn't see it myself because from my vantage point I couldn't see that part of the stage, but if so we have a strong voice from a fairly small boy. We'll see what happens with him as time goes on!
Speaking of Oskar -- if (like me) you can't remember having seen him smile, Justin managed to capture one (barely).

► Show Spoiler
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

... I mean, it took me less than 1 minute to find a pic of him smiling ?
He is fairly young and for some reason he did not sing during the first concert despite having done the sound check. He might have been ill, so certainly he is tired ?

Thank you Surpinto for sharing your thoughts ! I am glad you got to attend 2 concerts after waiting soooo long. I feel like I would like Luca's Ave Maria to be recorded :D You make it sound fantastic !
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Post by theriverflowson »

Thank you so much for sharing your impressions another time, Surpinto, it was fun to read! I hope you're not too sad to miss the other two concerts, but it doesn't sound like it could become any better than yesterday! :D

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:09 pm">9 months ago</span> Then we come to an unexpected descant singer Oscar H who didn't sing at the DC concert but was apparently doing the high notes on "Vespera" I was told. I didn't see it myself because from my vantage point I couldn't see that part of the stage, but if so we have a strong voice from a fairly small boy. We'll see what happens with him as time goes on!
Wow, do you really mean Oskar H or Oscar J? Just asking, because there is so much potential to get them mixed up in writing with the similar names plus the J/H being right next to each other on the keyboard :lol:

I guess Steven was conducting again? And is Josh travelling with Libera as well?
Last edited by theriverflowson on Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:35 pm">9 months ago</span> Thank you so much for sharing your impressions another time, Surpinto, it was fun to read! I hope you're not too sad to miss the other two concerts, but it doesn't sound like it could become any better than yesterday! :D
A little bit wistful of course, but I'm more excited to hear from those fans who are attending those forthcoming shows to see exactly what their impressions are; and what, if any, differences they notice. :D I'm just glad that others can hear them sing because it's really so amazing to experience their live shows: the lights, the stage movements, the incredible music! No other choir does what they do and I know just how happy it'll be make those attending, including those who didn't get a chance to go to DC or NYC. Let's be real, these aren't cheap trips!

theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:35 pm">9 months ago</span>
Wow, do you really mean Oskar H oder Oscar J? Just asking, because there is so much potential to get them mixed up in writing with the similar names plus the J/H being right next to each on the keyboard :lol:
Oh no! I fixed my typo. Yes, it was Oskar H.

theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:35 pm">9 months ago</span> I guess Steven was conducting again? And is Josh travelling with Libera as well?
Indeed! Steven conducted and the introduction by the boys for "Lighthouse" included a reference to Josh being a former member of the choir who now writes songs for them and was on piano for the show.
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

I felt like I deserved a Libera concert as well tonight so I treated myself with a nice Angels Sing in America 2015 edition. A success, church was full, the music good, the soloists awesome and very young :mrgreen: Felt like clapping, also was annoyed when they said the concert was going to end. Very authentic experience, I recomend a 100% :lol: No signing line though :| also I did not recognise every boy, I had to check the Libera Passion's archives :lol:
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Sat Jul 29, 2023 6:21 pm">9 months ago</span> ... I mean, it took me less than 1 minute to find a pic of him smiling ?

He is fairly young and for some reason he did not sing during the first concert despite having done the sound check. He might have been ill, so certainly he is tired ?
Well, perhaps I exaggerated a bit as an excuse to post what I thought was a nice pic. Fan_de_LoK also got lots of smiley faces after NYC, including one with Oskar and Oscar.

What a day they had today!
  • Staten Island Ferry (presumably to pass by the Statue of Liberty)
  • 9/11 Memorial
  • Top of the World Trade Center
  • NYC Subway :shock:
  • Central Park
Apparently, the Prime sports drink is still hard to get in the UK. They looked delighted to find it here.

For pictures, check out US Libera's IG story real (expires after 24 hours).
Mercurial909
Silver Member

Post by Mercurial909 »

Thank you again, Surpinto, for a wonderful review. It’s the closest a pauper like me is ever gonna get to an unrecorded Libera concert.

Interesting comments about Nathan, and especially Oskar. Always nice to know when the little ones are showing precocious talent.

I’m hoping Nathan will get an opportunity to sing some more notable ‘solo-solos’ soon, because he’s already 12 years old (like Morgan and Thomas M) and, like Thomas M but unlike Morgan, Nathan is in danger of being caught on the wrong side of puberty/waiting for Luca to age out before he gets to really ‘own’ a song that we associate with him.
ste1701fan

Post by ste1701fan »

So i just got an email from Libera USA for extra donations....

#post edited by mod#
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

ste1701fan wrote: <span title="Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:43 am">9 months ago</span> So i just got an email from Libera USA for extra donations....
Also Thanks to everybody for leaving such wonderful reviews. I have not been to a Libera concert in a year so it’s wonderful to catch up on the concerts and peoples reactions :D

#post edited by mod#
ste1701fan

Post by ste1701fan »

Heres the mail:

Emergency Plea for Donations

The 2023 tour has cost far more than prior tours, and we are not just facing a shortage. We are, as of July 30th completely out of money. To be specific we have a $15k credit card balance and only $11k in the bank!

We still have 4 hotel bills to pay, as well as equipment and venue costs for two more concerts.

I’m afraid I have to come to my most generous donors with hat in hand and ask for another round of donations to help us close this gap. We need an additional $80k to pay for the rest of the tour.

Please help us if you can by clicking the donate button below.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Hello all

I have edited and removed a couple of posts on this thread. Please be aware that all of the people involved with Libera and Libera of the US are volunteers who do all they do for free.

Since the last USA tour prices have gone through the roof for flights, hotels & food. The organisers have done these tours many times and had projections for the donations and ticket sales they would get to pay for it.

Unfortunately, it seems that money is tight for everybody and therefore there is a shortfall in funding. That is unfortunate but not malicious. If you have been following Libera US on Insta you will know how much the boys love the tours, especially to the USA. It's pretty much the only reward they get for doing this other than their love of singing.

So if anybody can spare a donation, whatever the amount, that would be a great help. I would note that there is an issue with the US Libera website at the moment & it doesn't seem to be accepting payments but hopefully that will be resolved soon.

Thank you all and apologies to the people whose posts I have amended/deleted.

Andy
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Thank you for posting this. I think it summarizes the situation well....and it's a sad situation indeed. I just made a miniscule donation both to test that the system was working (it is!) and because I wish I could do more. :cry: :(
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Just wanted to thank everybody who has left such wonderful reviews :D

It means a lot to the fans who can’t be there and we are living though your experiences.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:32 pm">9 months ago</span> Thank you for posting this. I think it summarizes the situation well....and it's a sad situation indeed. I just made a miniscule donation both to test that the system was working (it is!) and because I wish I could do more. :cry: :(
It doesn't work for me on either phone or PC :?
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love