Forever (Spring 2023)

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: Forever (Spring 2023)

Post by Yorkie »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:46 pm">11 months ago</span> Very interesting to know that the famous Yorkie-does-not-like-Exsultate does enjoy "Love Shines a Light". Though I have been unsure about this song, I find that it balances really well with the other songs in the album, bringing a light touch
Exultate wasn't terrible the first 100 times I heard it in concert but then it started to hang around like a bad smell for the encore at the next 1000 concerts. Other songs came and went, but Exultate refused to die. I think in the end they kept it on the set list to torture me.

Reading your review I think we are very much in sync about the tracks & performances.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:34 pm">11 months ago</span>
I think in the end they kept it on the set list to torture me.
Good enough reason for us to demand and protest that they bring it back, no? :lol: :wink: :mrgreen:

Okay okay, but I really like that song! :P
bamboo
Silver Member

Post by bamboo »

Anyone knows if it is possible to get a digital copy of Kizuna/Eternal Bond? Most of the songs are not my type of music, so was thinking of getting digital music for specific tracks rather than a whole album...
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

bamboo wrote: <span title="Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:44 am">11 months ago</span> Anyone knows if it is possible to get a digital copy of Kizuna/Eternal Bond? Most of the songs are not my type of music, so was thinking of getting digital music for specific tracks rather than a whole album...
IIRC with past albums, the extra Japanese tracks have been released as digital singles around the time the digital album was released.
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

My Review...

Forever is a super opener, I think Joseph Hill's vocal quality really lends itself to emotive expression and I love his voice. I would say, in terms of vocal qualities he would, in my ears, be the natural replacement for Daniel White, going forward. (but DW's voice isn't a Norwegian Parrot yet, so back off with your predictions of its demise!!) This song has all the requisite Libera components; thoughtful and thought provoking lyrics sung captivatingly by a talented treble with soaring choral responses and with a uplifting and captivating finale.

Beati Quorum is a fantastic song, at least in my view. I was firmly in the Raoul camp in those early polar discussions of the two new songs from him and Joshua. I love the broad array of typical Libera styles, memorable solo passages, choral harmonies, insistent rhythm and upbeat tempo and the joyous collective expression of voice that this song brings. It was a favourite of mine when I heard it in concert, and it remains so in album format.

The Beach Boys are a bit before my time, so the original isn't that familiar to me, although obviously, I had heard it before. I had already heard the Libera version as a single and I loved it. It is a thought provoking song with strong lyrics, but with a playfulness to the melody that manages to make it upbeat anyway. The three soloists on this are absolutely perfect. Luca, Daniel and Victor. Their individual vocal qualities are so different and just make the solos absolutely captivating and the harmonies are fantastic. I really like this.

Far Away is a retake of a classic Libera song and I heard this in concert last year. This album version is fantastic, and a huge component of that is Luca's voice. There is a depth to Luca's voice in this that is just super. In fact, his voice across the whole of the album is for me the best I've heard (so far!) from him for Libera. This might be a reflection of how his voice has developed over the last year, particularly as a result of his solo projects. A great song, sung fantastically.

Ave Verum Corpus. Well, what can I say? I've mentioned it enough already, that for me, Freddie's solo performance of this at SJSS is the best solo I have ever heard live at a Libera concert. I was surprised to discover that this is not unanimous, I have heard dissenting voices in this regard, but I have also heard several people say something similar to me. The album version? Fantastic and wonderful, but for me, not quite as good as when I heard it in concert. Maybe I was lucky and was sat in the sweet spot aurally, but there was just a captivating quality about that live version that drew me in like tunnel vision. The album version is great, but I feel like I can still spot the fire-escapes in my periphery. (I know, I know, terrible analogy). That being said, it is my absolute favourite song on the album.

The Lighthouse is the second of the pair of new songs introduced last year and when I first heard it I wasn't that enamoured. But the weird thing is, I am no longer sure entirely why. Yes, ok, I know the musical style informed my opinion at the time, but I think having heard it more since, that objection has faded and been replaced by a new appreciation for its qualities. It is a calming, light and open song, and actually contrasts perfectly with the powerful expression of Ave Verum Corpus in the previous track. I therefore withdraw any previous comments about this track and instead state that, I quite like it! Luca's voice in this is great and carries the sentiment of the song perfectly.

O Beata Trinitas is opened wonderfully by Mitchell who is really showing his talent on this album. His vocals in the opening are crystal clear and both penetrating and haunting at the same time. The lyrics are in that traditional Libera style, a thoughtful expression with a liturgical background. But the ending is a surprise with very contrasting emotions crammed into a finish that is not expected but makes for a very memorable and enjoyable song. This passed me by a bit on the first play through, but not anymore!

Anima Christi is a difficult one for me to comment on. Its general the theme is a bit underwhelming for me, but it is punctuated by shining solos which elevate it beyond its subdued base. I really cannot tell you how exactly I feel about this one. The solos are fantastic and draw me to it, but as a whole song, I'll need more time to buy in to it.

Come My Way is one we heard last year, and I couldn't really comment on this one truthfully without coming across as a fawning DW fan-boy, but I'll try anyway... It has a wonderful melancholy sound, and heartfelt lyrics which Daniel's voice naturally suits perfectly and his voice in this, especially in that final refrain, just makes my eyes water. Damnit! Stop chopping onions!! I'm trying to write a review here!!! Touching, emotional, a Prizeman song, sung by a fabulously emotive voice. I couldn't ask for more.

At Sea, is a second new one from Joshua. I love Freddie's voice of course and that haunting background choral, and then the occasional lilting or piercing voice cutting through it. I think this one will be similar to Lighthouse for me, in that I initially found it challenging, but the more I listen to it, the more I like it and appreciate its qualities. Current status: Haunting, interesting and very enjoyable.

Sing For Ever, a classic Libera song remixed is a nice return at this point to something familiar. Lovely solos from Joseph and Nathan in this. Not overdone, and keeping most of the song at subdued volume building a bit towards the end before closing out perfectly. A great song in a lovely new rendition.

Be Still My Soul is another classic, which I think last appeared in 2015 on “In America”? It has all the Libera traits and is delivered perfectly by the current cohort. But, there isn't anything I can really point to in this as a standout quality, rather just a well sung repeat of an old song, rooting Libera rightly in the music that made them who they are.

Grateful Heart is a lovely penultimate song, with a memorable solo by Luca whose voice shines brightly in this one and really pulls you into the song and keeps you interested until the end. This is another reflective and emotive song and is thoroughly enjoyable and captivating with perfect vocals from Luca.

Love Shine A Light by contrast is a more upbeat and light song to end the album with and I think the song selection here is a perfect way to end. Mitchell again shows he is a soloist who deserves more attention with a sparkling and engaging opening. The choral passages are smile-inducing and joyful and the lyrics make it absolutely clear, if you couldn't work it out from the voices, exactly how you should be feeling. A joyous and fun end to a fantastic album.

An absolutely fantastic album, which I feel manages to remain true to Libera's style, pays tribute to Robert's music and at the same time opens the door to, and showcases wonderfully, some fantastic music by the people who will be the future of the choir's repertoire.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Celtic wrote: <span title="Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:19 pm">11 months ago</span> Damnit! Stop chopping onions!! I'm trying to write a review here!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Very nice review. Many of my own thoughts mirrored as well throughout your commentary.

Thanks!
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Libera has just released "Ave Verum" as the fifth single from Forever...

Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

The "Ave Verum" video premieres Saturday...

Celtic

Post by Celtic »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:52 am">10 months ago</span> The "Ave Verum" video premieres Saturday...
Finally! Feel like I've been waiting ages for this vid! Although, I am not surprised they have saved it for just before the album get's released!

I am happy that it will get to be heard by many more people, because I really do think Freddie is exceptional in this song and deserves all the praise he will undoubtedly get! Not everyone will like it and I know people who heard it in the SJSS concert who didn't take to it, but on the other hand there are reviews like this:
Padmachou wrote: <span title="Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:46 pm">11 months ago</span> Ave Verum is even better recorded, Freddie is exceptional, but the harmonies as well (I could not enjoy them as much live, or maybe I was just too focused on Freddie's incredible performance). Actually I think this is how I will die : listening to Ave Verum. It makes me want to close my eyes and breath deeply, which is good, just, not in the middle of the street :lol:
Yorkie wrote: <span title="Wed May 17, 2023 8:30 pm">11 months ago</span> Ave Verum. This was mind blowing live when we heard it at St John’s last Christmas. If you have yet to hear it Freddie M is going to blow you away. His voice on this track has been given free rein and so it has more of a Soprano feel to it (think Aksel Rykkvin’s more operatic style from his solo album) than the more traditional Treble style of English boy choirs. Worth the price of the album alone. What a voice. What a performance. Wow.
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat May 20, 2023 12:31 am">11 months ago</span> Ave Verum – Wow, wow, wow! A more operatic piece with a huge demanding solo for Freddie. I hope that pieces in this style, much like “Cum Dederit” on If, continues to be a part of Libera’s repertoire. The song has a sort “Mysterium” feel to it which I feel is an extra bonus. At the minimum, and for those who don’t care for it, this song is nevertheless a cool showpiece.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Celtic wrote: <span title="Fri Jun 16, 2023 12:27 pm">10 months ago</span>
Finally! Feel like I've been waiting ages for this vid! Although, I am not surprised they have saved it for just before the album get's released!

I am happy that it will get to be heard by many more people, because I really do think Freddie is exceptional in this song and deserves all the praise he will undoubtedly get! Not everyone will like it and I know people who heard it in the SJSS concert who didn't take to it, but on the other hand there are reviews like this:
And I stand by my words. To hear it for the first time live was exhilarating.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
SingForEver

Post by SingForEver »

Celtic wrote: <span title="Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:19 pm">11 months ago</span> Ave Verum Corpus. Well, what can I say? I've mentioned it enough already, that for me, Freddie's solo performance of this at SJSS is the best solo I have ever heard live at a Libera concert. I was surprised to discover that this is not unanimous, I have heard dissenting voices in this regard, but I have also heard several people say something similar to me. The album version? Fantastic and wonderful, but for me, not quite as good as when I heard it in concert. Maybe I was lucky and was sat in the sweet spot aurally, but there was just a captivating quality about that live version that drew me in like tunnel vision. The album version is great, but I feel like I can still spot the fire-escapes in my periphery. (I know, I know, terrible analogy). That being said, it is my absolute favourite song on the album.
I've never felt inclined to post something myself, but now I would just like to add that I had a similar experience with this song last year. Freddie's solo at SJSS was magnificent. To me it felt like his voice filled out the whole space, rising up to the ceiling and spreading out throughout the audience. It completely drew me in in a way that I have rarely experienced, in a moment of joy and awe.

When I noticed a new song in the program at first I didn't know what to expect. I didn't even know that Freddie had so much power in his voice in order to deliver a performance like this. I agree that the recorded version is fantastic and I will definitely play it often, but listening to the song for the first time, live at the concert felt overwhelming. Maybe it was just a rare moment that caught me by surprise and cannot be repeated. The elegance and beauty of the adagio in combination with such an outstanding, ethereal solo created a very special moment for me at SJSS that evening that I'm sure I won't forget.

And that was on an evening filled with many wonderful, outstanding performances by the boys of Libera.

Hopefully the new single and music video will bring joy and awe to many people now. It's a beautiful arrangement of the music and Freddie deserves some recognition for his solo in it.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

SingForEver wrote: <span title="Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:52 pm">10 months ago</span>
I've never felt inclined to post something myself, but now I would just like to add that I had a similar experience with this song last year. Freddie's solo at SJSS was magnificent. To me it felt like his voice filled out the whole space, rising up to the ceiling and spreading out throughout the audience. It completely drew me in in a way that I have rarely experienced, in a moment of joy and awe.
Welcome to Libera Dreams! Please continue feeling inclined to post here :D You were at SJSS?! Amazing and I'm jealous. I so hope they sing this piece in the US in July. Was this your favorite song at that concert or were there others that you enjoyed more? :)

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:52 am">10 months ago</span>
Having heard the song in full through the Japanese album the song was less of a surprise than it might be for those who are still waiting on the international release; and as we know music videos use the studio version of a recording rather than recording the song anew.

Obviously Freddie’s voice is amazing as others have already remarked, and this sort of darker and slightly more operatic song – as well as the candles, darker lighting, and overall videography – is reminiscent of the style of Cum Dederit.

The song is amazing and the music video is definitely a good one, but with that being said I do have a fairly serious criticism of the videography here. Although I'm by no means knowledgeable in video editing, and typically don't try and criticize artistic choices which are obviously an expression of someone's artistic vision, I found it a bit jarring that there were so many shots where two video frames were being overlapped. It seemed to me that these overlapping shots weren't just used as a transition or to accompany the melody, but were the majority of the video, and it just didn't seem like it worked here. I think it worked better on “Cum Dederit” because of the lighting and main camera focus on Dominik in many of those overlapping shots, whereas here you have overlaps of multiple angles of the choir, or the orchestra, and nothing ever seems in focus. The real issue isn't the use of this technique in general but that the overlapped shots are too long in duration. It's an overuse and it sort of takes away from the video for me.

Perhaps I'm just spoiled because Libera's music videos are typically of the highest caliber so maybe I'm just being touchy about a point of personal annoyance rather than anything objective in the video. Of course it's also possible that maybe everyone else thinks the video is incredible...in which case I stand by my personal idiosyncratic irritations :wink:
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Post by theriverflowson »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:46 pm">10 months ago</span> Perhaps I'm just spoiled because Libera's music videos are typically of the highest caliber so maybe I'm just being touchy about a point of personal annoyance rather than anything objective in the video.
This pretty much sums up my thoughts as well (better: I had the same overall feeling , but wouldn't be able to express myself in a proper way :oops: ), so thank you, Surpinto!
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
Cat-a-tonic

Post by Cat-a-tonic »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:46 pm">10 months ago</span>

The song is amazing and the music video is definitely a good one, but with that being said I do have a fairly serious criticism of the videography here. Although I'm by no means knowledgeable in video editing, and typically don't try and criticize artistic choices which are obviously an expression of someone's artistic vision, I found it a bit jarring that there were so many shots where two video frames were being overlapped. It seemed to me that these overlapping shots weren't just used as a transition or to accompany the melody, but were the majority of the video, and it just didn't seem like it worked here. I think it worked better on “Cum Dederit” because of the lighting and main camera focus on Dominik in many of those overlapping shots, whereas here you have overlaps of multiple angles of the choir, or the orchestra, and nothing ever seems in focus. The real issue isn't the use of this technique in general but that the overlapped shots are too long in duration. It's an overuse and it sort of takes away from the video for me.

I'd also generally agree with that, particularly that it was OK in Cum Dederit because of the darker background and the focus on Dominik, and also perhaps because there were fewer boys doing the backing harmonies and they weren't split over two locations the way they were here. However, I still liked this video very much.

This was the first time I'd heard Ave Verum as I'm still waiting for the international release (only five days to go!). It was the song I've been most anticipating having read the Christmas concert reviews. However, I was also nervous in case I didn't find it as great as I'd hoped. But I did. As other people have already said, Freddie is just stunning. He shows such control and range, starting in what to me sounds like a similar register and tone to his Sacris Solemnis solo (I'm not musical or musically educated so can only go on what it sounds like to me) but then shooting up into the higher ranges with those gorgeous wild trills on immolatum and praegistatum (just to clarify - by wild I don't mean out of control or anything like that - more that wild describes the feeling I got from them, soaring up above the rest of the piece, 'free' might be a better term).

The choir harmonies are lovely, they blend beautifully and are at times almost imperceptible but it wouldn't be the same if they weren't there. And, as so often, the white robes give an ethereal sense, so the whole thing seems slightly otherworldly.

But this song is mainly about Freddie who deserves every bit of praise that comes his way for this solo.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Cat-a-tonic wrote: <span title="Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:49 am">10 months ago</span>
As other people have already said, Freddie is just stunning. He shows such control and range, starting in what to me sounds like a similar register and tone to his Sacris Solemnis solo (I'm not musical or musically educated so can only go on what it sounds like to me) but then shooting up into the higher ranges with those gorgeous wild trills on immolatum and praegistatum (just to clarify - by wild I don't mean out of control or anything like that - more that wild describes the feeling I got from them, soaring up above the rest of the piece, 'free' might be a better term).
Well stated! Perfectly well understood what you mean and the comparison to "Sacris Solemnis" is apt as well to my mind.