Forever (Spring 2023)

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

gingerthedog1

Re: Forever (Spring 2023)

Post by gingerthedog1 »

I'll post some initial thoughts on the new samples on the website!

Beati Quorum is light and breezy, just like God Only Knows. I enjoy them both because they sound so innocent and suit childrens' voices so well. I do agree it gets very busy, but I think it's interesting and fun to listen.

Ave Verum is so sensitively interpreted, I particularly like how Freddie is able to show so much difference in tone color in the span of a short sample. It's not my favorite song since it's a bit dreary to my ears, but I am sure I'll love it for the technical achievement in the performance.

The Lighthouse is quite different from what Libera has sung before previously, but I do love the unexpected chord progressions and all the dissonances. The melody seems to float and shimmer instead of progressing forwards. Luca's voice is so well-suited for the shimmery, floaty melody.

I think I would like O Beata better if it was sung as unaccompanied plainchant, but the orchestration doesn't seem to suit the melody well. Still, I am looking forward to Luca's solo, and while it isn't my favorite, I do agree that it is very much in style of previous Libera songs.

Anima Christi is similarly unmemorable to my ears, but at least it doesn't have the same orchestration problems as O Beata.

At Sea may prove to be one of my favorites on this album. It reminds me a bit of Three Ravens in being slightly out of left field for the style Libera normally sings, but also strangely very suitable for their voices. I really like how the background vocals and the solo seemed to carry each other forward, and the atmosphere of the whole song is very enjoyable.

Sing Forever is so sweet, and I do love how the younger voices make the song more light, delicate, and gentle than previous versions. Joseph and Nathan have voices that complement each other well. Joseph's voice is bright but also has a surprising richness and maturity, while Nathan's soft and shimmery tone contrasts nicely.

Love Shine A Light is my favorite of the samples so far. Whoever the soloist is was allowed to truly use crossover style, with vocal scoops and all. I don't think Libera has ever produced a pop song with pop vocal technique to the extent I hear here, which is very exciting. The soloist manages to caress the words and make the melody lilt, while not going overboard and making it too saccharine, which is always a danger when classical childrens' groups sing crossover music.

I'm very excited to hear the full version of this one, and am also looking forward to finding out who the soloist is.
GlennJalmas

Post by GlennJalmas »

I do hope that Libera Official will create another introduction to this album just like what they've done with their last album If in 2021.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

"The" Justin thinks Frederick H. is the soloist on "Love Shine a Light". Considering the recent concerts he's attended, I'm inclined to believe him.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

gingerthedog1 wrote: <span title="Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:40 pm">1 year ago</span> I'll post some initial thoughts on the new samples on the website!
Thank you for your thoughts! :D

I love all the samples so far! What has always made Libera stand out to me over the years is just how many of their songs I actually enjoy. With most music groups I'm a fan of, I like only a handful of songs on a given album. But with Libera it's rare that I dislike more than maybe just a single song; if any. The rest I greatly enjoy and I usually absolutely love at least 2-5 from every album.

I also enjoyed what I have heard of "Love Shine a Light" and wonder about who the soloist is. "Anima Christi" I love that sub-style of song within Libera's overall style so I'm looking forward to that song.

"At Sea" - it has a new age sort of style similar to several songs from the first three Libera albums Libera, Luminoso, and Free. It's sort of like an amalgam between "A New Heaven" and something like "Silencium" maybe....

"Be Still My Soul" is always a song I like seeing re-recorded as it's a real Libera treasure!

Looking very much forward to the rest but those are just my preliminary thoughts right now. Once the album comes out I'll write a short review and assessment of each song.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

In the lead up to the release of our new album 'Forever' we will be releasing some tracks as digital singles. We kick off on Friday 5th May with 'Love Shine a Light'.
https://orcd.co/ihd91_s1
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

dani wrote: <span title="Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:59 pm">1 year ago</span>
In the lead up to the release of our new album 'Forever' we will be releasing some tracks as digital singles. We kick off on Friday 5th May with 'Love Shine a Light'.
https://orcd.co/ihd91_s1
A Korean fan using this song to make a promo vid...
justin

Post by justin »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:49 am">1 year ago</span> "The" Justin thinks Frederick H. is the soloist on "Love Shine a Light". Considering the recent concerts he's attended, I'm inclined to believe him.
Sorry to disappoint but it seems Mitchel is the soloist 😅
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

justin wrote: <span title="Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:28 am">1 year ago</span>
bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:49 am">1 year ago</span> "The" Justin thinks Frederick H. is the soloist on "Love Shine a Light". Considering the recent concerts he's attended, I'm inclined to believe him.
Sorry to disappoint but it seems Mitchel is the soloist 😅
Well, I should've stuck to my initial guess, although it was a lucky guess because I've never heard his voice before.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Moose confirms...

Fu5TDsGXoAY142b.jpg
Fu5TDsGXoAY142b.jpg (253.52 KiB) Viewed 3672 times
Fu5TDsGXoAY142b.jpg
Fu5TDsGXoAY142b.jpg (253.52 KiB) Viewed 3672 times
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Cool! Always nice to hear a new soloist, not to mention a new song with music video. Very exciting! :D

Music videos shared around online or stumbled upon seem to be the primary way Libera is discovered by the uninitiated. :D
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

The new album 'Forever' will be released in Japan in exactly 2 weeks, on May 17th.
Libera Records posted on social this morning, to remind of this deadline, and to remind that the first buyers benefit from a small gift, variable according to the merchant site.

There are 6 different gifts :
  • Tower Records : a note book

• Yamano Music : a poster calendar

• HMV : a ball pen

• Rakuten : a clear file

• Amazon JP : a large cover sleeve

• various other sellers : another model of clear file

Details on the Libera Records page :
https://libera-records.com/discography/libe-0015
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Well, their version of "Love Shine a Light" is pleasant and agreeable, but quite forgettable in my opinion. There's really nothing there to make me want to listen to it repeatedly. I also feel that some of the parts with multiple voices have that "studio" sound to the point where it bothers me somewhat.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Tue May 02, 2023 11:29 pm">1 year ago</span> The new album 'Forever' will be released in Japan in exactly 2 weeks, on May 17th.
Libera Records posted on social this morning, to remind of this deadline, and to remind that the first buyers benefit from a small gift, variable according to the merchant site.
Thanks for the info. I suppose I'll be receiving the pen from HMV which I am happy to gift to someone in DC or New York! :D
Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Fri May 05, 2023 7:20 am">1 year ago</span>
I like it a lot, a very pleasant Libera elevation complete with souring voices and harmonies of a pop song into a more crossover style. I hope we get to hear it this summer because I think this is an ideal song for a live concert. A very pleasant voice on the solo with a clear pure tone. Good job, Mitchel!
Lux Aeterna

Post by Lux Aeterna »

I usually don't "binge" a specific song before the album gets released, but I love this one so much that I can't stop listening to it. There is also something I noticed when I first heard "Come My Way", so I got a look at the Members section of the Libera Passion website:the actual group is quite young now, and this can perfectly heard while listening to the songs that have been released. It's strange to think that the older soloists are now at the end of their treble careers in the group :cry:
The heaven soars with voices above...