Libera Members Time Line

Current and former Members of Libera

Moderator: Moderators

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: Libera Members Time Line

Post by Yorkie »

The Furby wrote: <span title="Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:25 pm">1 year ago</span> Pardon my English as what I wrote didn't really make sense. :?

I was just commenting on the fact that it is the first time I can see Jaymi Bandtock & Sam Harper in blue cassocks and surplices, as in all the other videos (Top of the Pops excepted) they're wearing white robes.
No worries :D Your English is way better than my French! Keep up the good work on your database - I love it.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

The Furby wrote: <span title="Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:07 am">1 year ago</span> Found a SPBC video I did not know about : another TV performance of San Damiano with Sal Solo (1984).
The video you found was from BBC's "The Rock Gospel Show" and is from a broadcast on June 3, 1984. It is most likely the very first TV appearance of the SPBC.

There was another performance of San Damiano with Sal Solo (which you seem to know about) that is from a broadcast on December 23, 1984. Contrary to the video description, it is at best the SPBC's second TV appearance. This one includes a short solo by SPBC's Quentin Engstrom at 1:58. The 1981 Choirboy of the Year, Andrew Hopkins, is standing third from the right.

Sal and the SPBC then appeared on "Top of the Pops" sometime between December 30, 1984 and January 5, 1985.

Here is the album version. It does not have Quentin's solo.

Sal also went on a European tour in 1985 and produced a version of his song for Polish TV with the Lutnia Chór Chłopięcy from Warsaw. Their uniform was a rope-belted brown monk's robe over a ruffle-collared surplice, an interesting precursor to Libera's white monk's robes.

Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

The SPBC and The London Community Gospel Choir also joined Sal in singing "Adoramus Te" on the album.

Attachments
271153630_4628135003967535_6327872784858168070_n.jpg
271153630_4628135003967535_6327872784858168070_n.jpg (39.74 KiB) Viewed 4478 times
271153630_4628135003967535_6327872784858168070_n.jpg
271153630_4628135003967535_6327872784858168070_n.jpg (39.74 KiB) Viewed 4478 times
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Want to see something even earlier?

Here's a video of a 1982 rehearsal for "Pontiphar" that was (allegedly) originally uploaded by Andrew Hopkins himself. It features Vincent Penfold as the soloist.

This video has restricted playback so you'll have to view it directly on YouTube.

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

OMG I can say 100% that I have never seen that video before; whereas the Sal Solo one I was familiar with. Even if my memory failed me about one video or another, I don't think anyone can forget those high kicks and dorky dance moves :lol: :shock: :P

Where did you find this video?!
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:29 pm">1 year ago</span> OMG I can say 100% that I have never seen that video before; whereas the Sal Solo one I was familiar with. Even if my memory failed me about one video or another, I don't think anyone can forget those high kicks and dorky dance moves :lol: :shock: :P

Where did you find this video?!
The link was originally posted by a strangely obsessed Russian guy who was an admin for the Libera Nation FB group. He had a large collection of obscure Libera photos and videos. Nobody has heard from him since his Uncle Vlad cut Russia off from Facebook.
The Furby

Post by The Furby »

:shock: Thanks Luckdragon for sharing all this!

I'm curious as you identified Quentin Engstrom from the video, do you have other members you can name?
NateSD

Post by NateSD »

Those really old looks at Robert Prizeman's early vision is actually really fascinating. Thanks for sharing this one.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

The Furby wrote: <span title="Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:07 am">1 year ago</span> :shock: Thanks Luckdragon for sharing all this!

I'm curious as you identified Quentin Engstrom from the video, do you have other members you can name?
I'm afraid that I have no other names for you, Furb. :(
NateSD wrote: <span title="Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:58 pm">1 year ago</span> Those really old looks at Robert Prizeman's early vision is actually really fascinating. Thanks for sharing this one.
To think that Libera might easily have become a group that sang and danced to showtunes...
The Furby

Post by The Furby »

Someone posted a better quality video of Live Like Horses on YT !

We now have a way clearer view of many faces :D

Dinedorelle
Silver Member

Post by Dinedorelle »

Yes, this is pretty good quality. I already picked out the well-known faces, but I may have a go at those on the right who had no stage lights on them (or were covered in the visuals by Pavarotti's shoulders!)