Schola Cantorum

Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

Luckdragon
Gold Member

Re: Schola Cantorum Upcoming Performances

Post by Luckdragon »

Is that LC at the lower left? Surely he can't be in year 7 yet.
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

Hmm, I don't think that's LC. But I'm suddenly not sure.

There are four + one definitely recognisable ones. But there are other faces in there that look strangely familiar to me, including the one lower left. I suspect they may be younger brothers of existing CVMS members.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Celtic wrote: <span title="Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:09 am">1 year ago</span> Hmm, I don't think that's LC. But I'm suddenly not sure.

There are four + one definitely recognisable ones. But there are other faces in there that look strangely familiar to me, including the one lower left. I suspect they may be younger brothers of existing CVMS members.
It's not him, so 4+1. That's a mighty fine haul for the Schola and I'm sure the other newbies have plenty of talent as well.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

We are live-streaming our concert with the Schola and @CalumHuggan on Tuesday 11 October. If you can't attend (tickets here: https://trybooking.co.uk/BVDP) you can listen on line via this link:

...and here's another picture of our new 6th graders because they're just so awesome:
310093340_622963729329587_1757252256870393996_n.jpg
310093340_622963729329587_1757252256870393996_n.jpg (297.95 KiB) Viewed 1421 times
310093340_622963729329587_1757252256870393996_n.jpg
310093340_622963729329587_1757252256870393996_n.jpg (297.95 KiB) Viewed 1421 times
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:29 pm">1 year ago</span> We are live-streaming our concert with the Schola and @CalumHuggan on Tuesday 11 October. If you can't attend (tickets here: https://trybooking.co.uk/BVDP) you can listen on line via this link:
I just finished watching this incredible concert. All of the current Libera students (11?) participated, plus the former member. The video was choppy but fortunately the audio was excellent.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Tiffin flies way under the radar when it comes to British Boy Choirs but they've probably been on more movie soundtracks than anyone.

This should be an epic collab. I wish they'd do a full concert.

Celtic

Post by Celtic »

Tiffin is a good choir, the conductor James Day is very good. I was sat directly behind him at a CVMS Messiah concert a few years back. (Nice to see that sort of professional respect)

I have heard them twice, once for their 60th Anniversary concert, which was recorded by Classic FM and a year or so later for Verdi's Requiem. Both were great, but it's a choir I have struggled to engage with due to lack of opportunity, usually clashes or in venues awkward to get to.

I was undecided about Mahler. RAH is not a venue I particularly enjoy. The seating layout is terrible, the affordable seating in the top section is essentially out for me due to my vertigo. (Tried for Last Night of the Proms and had to move in the interval because I was feeling dizzy) Which leaves the seats in the round or the too expensive seats in the main seating area. Anyway, luckily, I have a funeral to go to, so the choice was conveniently taken away...

I am back at the RAH for Cormac in December though, second row main seating. I expect the venue will redeem itself in that situation...
Josquin2Penderecki

Post by Josquin2Penderecki »

Celtic wrote: <span title="Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:16 pm">1 year ago</span> Tiffin is a good choir, the conductor James Day is very good. I was sat directly behind him at a CVMS Messiah concert a few years back. (Nice to see that sort of professional respect)

I have heard them twice, once for their 60th Anniversary concert, which was recorded by Classic FM and a year or so later for Verdi's Requiem. Both were great, but it's a choir I have struggled to engage with due to lack of opportunity, usually clashes or in venues awkward to get to.

I was undecided about Mahler. RAH is not a venue I particularly enjoy. The seating layout is terrible, the affordable seating in the top section is essentially out for me due to my vertigo. (Tried for Last Night of the Proms and had to move in the interval because I was feeling dizzy) Which leaves the seats in the round or the too expensive seats in the main seating area. Anyway, luckily, I have a funeral to go to, so the choice was conveniently taken away...

I am back at the RAH for Cormac in December though, second row main seating. I expect the venue will redeem itself in that situation...
Well, if you aren't already quite familiar with Mahler's music, it would've been a challenging concert to listen to anyways. Mahler's 8th also has a reputation as being one of the most difficult pieces to pull off in a live concert, even with top notch orchestras.
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

I have heard Mahler over the years here and there. But besides his Symphony no. 5, I'm not really familiar with his works at all. So, I am not overly disappointed to miss this. On the other hand, I do often feel I should push myself into new works! Next time... 8)
Josquin2Penderecki

Celtic wrote: <span title="Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:37 pm">1 year ago</span> I have heard Mahler over the years here and there. But besides his Symphony no. 5, I'm not really familiar with his works at all. So, I am not overly disappointed to miss this. On the other hand, I do often feel I should push myself into new works! Next time... 8)
Start with his first Symphony. It's the shortest and probably the easiest to listen to, although his 4th Symphony isn't too difficult either. Then, proceed to his 2nd Symphony, which is his first really long work (80+ minutes). His 8th Symphony is the most unconventional in terms of symphonic form, and it's got so much going on that it can be hard to follow at times. For me, his Symphonies 2, 5, 6, and 9, are his best. By the way, his 3rd Symphony features a short fifth movement which has a boys choir, women's choir and soloist (video below).

Celtic

Post by Celtic »

Oh and the Tiffin Boys Choir too! :mrgreen:
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Josquin2Penderecki wrote: <span title="Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:50 pm">1 year ago</span>
Celtic wrote: <span title="Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:37 pm">1 year ago</span> I have heard Mahler over the years here and there. But besides his Symphony no. 5, I'm not really familiar with his works at all. So, I am not overly disappointed to miss this. On the other hand, I do often feel I should push myself into new works! Next time... 8)
Start with his first Symphony. It's the shortest and probably the easiest to listen to, although his 4th Symphony isn't too difficult either. Then, proceed to his 2nd Symphony, which is his first really long work (80+ minutes). His 8th Symphony is the most unconventional in terms of symphonic form, and it's got so much going on that it can be hard to follow at times. For me, his Symphonies 2, 5, 6, and 9, are his best. By the way, his 3rd Symphony features a short fifth movement which has a boys choir, women's choir and soloist .

If you are anywhere near Minneapolis on November 12th you can hear the Minnesota Orchestra play Mahler’s 3rd at the Orchestra Hall. Combining this with the concert by the Escolania de Montserrat on November 11th at the Basilica of St Mary may make a visit more appealing. It has done so for me.
Josquin2Penderecki

john45 wrote: <span title="Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:56 pm">1 year ago</span>
Josquin2Penderecki wrote: <span title="Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:50 pm">1 year ago</span>
Start with his first Symphony. It's the shortest and probably the easiest to listen to, although his 4th Symphony isn't too difficult either. Then, proceed to his 2nd Symphony, which is his first really long work (80+ minutes). His 8th Symphony is the most unconventional in terms of symphonic form, and it's got so much going on that it can be hard to follow at times. For me, his Symphonies 2, 5, 6, and 9, are his best. By the way, his 3rd Symphony features a short fifth movement which has a boys choir, women's choir and soloist .

If you are anywhere near Minneapolis on November 12th you can hear the Minnesota Orchestra play Mahler’s 3rd at the Orchestra Hall. Combining this with the concert by the Escolania de Montserrat on November 11th at the Basilica of St Mary may make a visit more appealing. It has done so for me.
I'm thinking about it since I live nearby, but I almost never go to live concerts.
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

I would highly recommend the Escolania, they were the best choir of the Nuremburg festival, and to keep this on topic for the thread, even Scott Price thought so! He even included their best song Ave Maria (Schubert/Vivancos) in the recent CVMS concert!