Summer Concerts 2022 - Brighton & Chichester

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

filiarheni
Gold Member

Re: Summer Concerts 2022 - Brighton & Chichester

Post by filiarheni »

Is the advanced sale for the families? Or for friends' associations of the churches or both?

As a parent, I can relate to the point of view that the families long to have a high chance to get a premium seat, as they invest and support a lot as well, but of course, as a lover of Libera's music, I feel our side's pain too. Perhaps the families complained that these chances to see their very own children from a fine seat have been too low over the years?

A compromise solution might be to provide concerts with and others without advanced booking, or an exclusive concert for the relatives once a year.

(In Cologne Cathedral the members of the Cathedral choirs' friends' association have the privilege to sit in the middle nave for their annual advent concert (free entrance). And it's always fully occupied, year by year. There's hardly any chance to get to the middle nave, if you're no member, no matter how early you show up there. :( )
Last edited by filiarheni on Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

It’s a shame that we have gone back to the old days with tickets.

I completely understand Parents sacrifice a lot but then these are professional concerts so I don’t understand why things have reverted backwards and especially when you consider the cost for fans as well.

All this will do is put some fans off from attending which will hurt Libera in the long run.
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Post by theriverflowson »

Libera stated in the comment section that it is not planned to provide a stream, so we will need to attend somehow or miss it :cry:
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Well, it would not be good if they had poorly attended concerts, and I'm concerned about that happening in this situation. Things are only going to get tougher in the coming months, so they need to stay in good shape financially. It will be quite an accomplishment for Libera and many other musical groups if they still exist a couple years from now.
Lux Aeterna

Post by Lux Aeterna »

dani wrote: <span title="Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:59 pm">1 year ago</span> It’s a shame that we have gone back to the old days with tickets.

I completely understand Parents sacrifice a lot but then these are professional concerts so I don’t understand why things have reverted backwards and especially when you consider the cost for fans as well.

All this will do is put some fans off from attending which will hurt Libera in the long run.
Especially since for many of us a possible trip to London would be quite expensive and tiring. I would also need: a passport (116 euros ), at least two visits to my local Questura ( the Italian passport is released by the Police after your criminal record is checked and considered clean ", the hotel, food and of course, the concert's ticket. I won't spend hundreds of euros for a back seat honestly. Image
Attachments
Screenshot (43).png
Screenshot (43).png (111.49 KiB) Viewed 1868 times
Screenshot (43).png
Screenshot (43).png (111.49 KiB) Viewed 1868 times
The heaven soars with voices above...
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Lux Aeterna wrote: <span title="Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:18 pm">1 year ago</span>Especially since for many of us a possible trip to London would be quite expensive and tiring. I would also need: a passport (116 euros ), at least two visits to my local Questura ( the Italian passport is released by the Police after your criminal record is checked and considered clean ", the hotel, food and of course, the concert's ticket. I won't spend hundreds of euros for a back seat honestly.
We do not know yet what really happened today and still will happen, until the booking opens for everyone tomorrow.

Your passport would be an investment that is not only for now, so I think you shouldn't assign these expenses and time spent only to this trip. I agree with you regarding the travel and accommodation cost, which are very high for diverse reasons.

For me, it's the travel hassle from A to B, it looks very stressful in an anyway stressful year. It would be easier for me to take a decision, if there was a third concert connected.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

I think for me, if there are no half decent seats left in the front section by tomorrow I will give it a miss. I am also not a fan of this advanced booking. SJSS during covid was different, even at the back of the hall, with most of the seats missing, it was still an amazing view. Given the visuals are a big part of Libera concerts I'm not risking our dodgy striking trains to look at the back of someone's balding head for 2hrs. But let's see what tomorrow brings...
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

After an exhaustive search for flights there exists nothing cheaper than roughly $1700 for the days I want to travel; not to mention hotel costs for which at least there is a broader spectrum of options. The seating situation being so unclear and aggravating, and the costs being so high, and everything needing to be planned relatively last minute, I have decided that this trip is not for me. To say I am disappointed is an understatement.
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

There definitely seems to be a consensus that the presale is not working out well for these venues. I feel like part of the reason for that is that the
churches selected don't have a lot of good seating to begin with. Ely's curving front rows ahead of the pillar was a stroke of genius that opened up
many more great seats than you would normally see at a Cathedral. Like everyone else, I am hoping for the best for these shows.

I just looked at my records and saw that if I don't go this summer, it will be the first time since 2009 that I haven't attended a concert that Libera held during
the summer season.
Lux Aeterna

Post by Lux Aeterna »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:32 pm">1 year ago</span>
Lux Aeterna wrote: <span title="Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:18 pm">1 year ago</span>Especially since for many of us a possible trip to London would be quite expensive and tiring. I would also need: a passport (116 euros ), at least two visits to my local Questura ( the Italian passport is released by the Police after your criminal record is checked and considered clean ", the hotel, food and of course, the concert's ticket. I won't spend hundreds of euros for a back seat honestly.
We do not know yet what really happened today and still will happen, until the booking opens for everyone tomorrow.

Your passport would be an investment that is not only for now, so I think you shouldn't assign these expenses and time spent only to this trip. I agree with you regarding the travel and accommodation cost, which are very high for diverse reasons.

For me, it's the travel hassle from A to B, it looks very stressful in an anyway stressful year. It would be easier for me to take a decision, if there was a third concert connected.
"Sadly" I live in an isolated area of the Country, and international direct flights are not always available. I would probably find one in bigger airports, but they are far from where I live and it's just too hot for a 200km car travel. Let's hope for the next spring concerts at this point.
The heaven soars with voices above...
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

I've never seen so much disappointment (as opposed to the opposite reaction) in response to a Libera concert announcement. I agree with tom413 that the physical layouts of venues themselves make the tenuous seating situation that much more frustrating; but I also understand, and respect, Libera's desire to allow the families to purchase advance tickets. :?

The current oil/jet fuel prices, coupled with a busier than normal summer travel season, when combined with the (relatively speaking and with respect to international travel arrangements) last minute announcement, have all conspired to create a difficult situation for all of us.

I do hope that those who manage to make it to a show enjoy it on all of our behalves and please please please keep us in the loop with reviews and other information so that we, at the very least, participate in that way with our favorite choir! :D :D :D
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:09 pm">1 year ago</span> I've never seen so much disappointment (as opposed to the opposite reaction) in response to a Libera concert announcement. I agree with tom413 that the physical layouts of venues themselves make the tenuous seating situation that much more frustrating; but I also understand, and respect, Libera's desire to allow the families to purchase advance tickets. :?
Yes, that is unual and I get it that people are disappointed on a personal point of view, but let's remember it is reassuring that Libera is performing any concert this summer. Sure, there is a cost for these concerts, and I hope the venues will be full enough so that Libera does not lose money. But from a musical point of view, it is also necessary that the young boys get more experience, and that the older ones still get opportunities to sing with the group while they are young enough. I think we should be glad about that. It is not just about us attending or not :D .

And honestly, I am not surprised by anything that is going on... Probably they hoped for an international tour until last minute and they still managed to secure a small UK tour, which is great (better than nothing anyway). They announced it late, so of course the prices for planes and train will be high, even more with the crisis like someone pointed out before. That is why international attendance is not expected to be as high as usual... which is why they will secure tickets for families and local attendance, in my opinion. It all makes sense.

Then, it is very easy for me to be fine with the situation, as I might very well attend Chichester's concert. I would have preferred Brighton but I can not reasonably try to get 2 days off work (I work on Saturday), just one should be fine.

Little advice : hostel booking costs seem pretty high. Have a look at AirBNB if you can. I found something really decent. I have not booked the train for now, I will after I am sure to obtain that day off work. :roll:
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

Ely is capable of having 4 front rows. The booking for Ely 2022 started at row C. There was more room behind the stage if they completely removed the choir stalls rather than just shifting them back. Something they should consider if they go to Ely again.
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Post by theriverflowson »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:37 pm">1 year ago</span> Yes, that is unual and I get it that people are disappointed on a personal point of view, but let's remember it is reassuring that Libera is performing any concert this summer. Sure, there is a cost for these concerts, and I hope the venues will be full enough so that Libera does not lose money. But from a musical point of view, it is also necessary that the young boys get more experience, and that the older ones still get opportunities to sing with the group while they are young enough. I think we should be glad about that. It is not just about us attending or not :D .
You are so right, thanks for pointing that out! :D

I'm a bit worried that people might purchase tickets tomorrow to secure their option to take part and in the end decide to not attend due to the several reasons already mentioned here. I fear this will have a huge impact on the atmosphere if several seats on this relativley small venues remain vacant. Not too sure if there is a vital second market for the tickets then :?
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I wish it wasn't such a problem for them to professionally film concerts at venues outside of St. John's Smith Square. I suppose the cost of doing so at the other venues would be too high to be profitable.