Concert in Ely Cathedral, May 2022

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Celt

Re: Concert in Ely Cathedral, May 2022

Post by Celt »

Kilhwch wrote: <span title="Thu May 26, 2022 9:23 am">1 year ago</span> This led to one slightly startling moment during Orinoco Flow, when half the boys suddenly turned sideways and started singing directly to me. I happened to be the only person in the south transept just then, so it was like having my own private Libera concert, albeit only for 20 seconds or so.
That sounds awesome!
Kilhwch wrote: <span title="Thu May 26, 2022 9:23 am">1 year ago</span> I was lucky enough to be able to attend the St John's shows in 2020 and 2021. The first was a tiny but dazzling crack of light cut through the dark pall of the pandemic; the second was both the end of a day and a new dawn. Wonderful as they were, both were shortened concerts with setlists necessarily focused on carols and If material; this was a full concert that took us on a journey through Libera history, ending with a glimpse of the future. And for all those who couldn't make it this time, hopefully it won't be long before you too can jump on the ship once again.
The St John's Smith Square concert in 2020 in particular was such a strange experience. The covid-safe seating, the boys not moving on stage, the double mini-concert format. However, at the time, I was just grateful that there was anything at all. It was, as you say, a little beacon of light in the darkness. They were the only two concerts for me between 3rd March 2020 and 2nd July 2021 when Westminster Abbey sang a public concert for the first time since December 2019! I even resorted to hanging around street musicians just for a bit of live music...

Ely finally felt like things were (almost) normal again. Long may it continue...
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Kilhwch wrote: <span title="Thu May 26, 2022 9:23 am">1 year ago</span> Some scattered and somewhat belated reflections on the Ely concert:
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and impressions with us. From everything I've read it sounds like this concert was not to be missed, and that it was a true testament to the continuity of the choir despite both the pandemic and Robert's untimely passing.

I can't wait to hear the new song which will hopefully make its way to an album in due time. :D
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Kilhwch wrote: <span title="Thu May 26, 2022 9:23 am">1 year ago</span> Some scattered and somewhat belated reflections on the Ely concert:

Come My Way – based on the lovely George Herbert poem famously set by Vaughan Williams, but I think there was a second poem in there too; there seemed to be some extra lyrics between each verse of the Herbert, but I can't remember them now. We'll have to wait to hear it again. Gentle and flowing.
Thank you for these lovely notes.

The extra lyrics for Come My Way are by Robert, as mentioned in the programme.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

maartendas wrote: <span title="Thu May 26, 2022 11:54 am">1 year ago</span>

Come My Way – based on the lovely George Herbert poem famously set by Vaughan Williams, but I think there was a second poem in there too; there seemed to be some extra lyrics between each verse of the Herbert, but I can't remember them now. We'll have to wait to hear it again. Gentle and flowing.
Thank you for these lovely notes.

The extra lyrics for Come My Way are by Robert, as mentioned in the programme.
Here they are. The middle verse and the final line are Robert's. The first and third verses are the original by George Herbert.
IMG_2268.JPG
IMG_2268.JPG (416.87 KiB) Viewed 4026 times
IMG_2268.JPG
IMG_2268.JPG (416.87 KiB) Viewed 4026 times
Kilhwch

Post by Kilhwch »

Silly me! Of course the lyrics were in the programme all the time, but it was too dark to read them while the concert was going on, and somehow I didn't think of looking in there when I came to write up my notes.

As a thank you for clearing that up, here's a photo I took during the soundcheck. Pity about the chair in the foreground with the hymn books on:
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Does anyone remember who sang the vocalises in Always With Me?
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

I think it was Daniel C
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Thank you! There were so many amazing high vocalise singers this time, really impressive!

Excellent for them and for us, bad for my memory. :shock: :D
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Post by theriverflowson »

It’s been more than two weeks now since my first Libera concert. I’m still in a state of feeling absolutely euphoric and so thankful that I stumbled over Libera by coincidence during the early stage of the pandemic and to finally have had the privilege of a live experience.

The weeks before the concert I got more and more nervous, asking myself if Libera could fulfill my high expectations of how good they would sound in a live performance.

I reserved the whole Saturday to stay in Ely, mainly to explore the venue, this absolutely stunning cathedral. I was quite sure that I would not be able to enjoy a tour to any place in the surrounding area, knowing that I might miss anything in Ely, so I reserved Cambridge for Sunday.

Things went even better than expected. Already in the morning hours I was able to observe Kavana and Matthew preparing the stage and Sam and Steven working on the sound desk (I might have missed some other well-known team members) – being my first “contact” to real Libera, and oh dear, what ICONS were scurrying around me! It felt quite weird for me to stroll through the cathedral with all that already-Libera-related stuff going on here and there, making it difficult for me to concentrate on the cathedral itself.

After the tower tour – which was one of the few opportunities to uncouple a bit from Libera up there – I noticed a bunch of fellow LD members sitting on the pews. Just having joined them, I saw some movement from the corner of my eyes, which was the moment when Libera arrived at the venue for their rehearsal, already wearing their beautiful white robes (take care for stains, guys!). Of course, I was hoping to be able to join the rehearsal as well, but to prevent disappointment, I was expecting that this would take place without any audience. Luckily, this was not the case, and any visitor of the cathedral had the opportunity to continue their exploration of the cathedral or observe the rehearsal.

Looking back, I would say that the rehearsal was that first and most intense “snap-moment” for me on that day, seeing and hearing them live for the very first time. Even the “ti-ta” and “1-2-3-[…]” soundcheck elements in the beginning sounded absolutely beautiful and this procedure was interesting to observe. It was followed by a (what it felt) very exclusive mini concert with (apart from Ave Maria I guess?) parts of all songs from the upcoming concert. It was beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! I was so blown away, that I did not even realize the wonderful composition of old, new, emotional, rousing, classical, … songs, which I would never have expected, having in mind the announcement of the Ely concert page.

What came to my mind while sitting on the pew listening the rehearsal: How would any random person feel, being a visitor of the cathedral, not knowing about Libera nor about the concert that night, and now hearing by coincidence this sounds of angels in that heavenly place? Libera must have won many more fans during that afternoon and hopefully sold some of the remaining tickets.

The time between rehearsal and concert is not very present in my mind. I was just waiting, curiously feeling a subliminal sadness with the thought in my mind, that with every second passing off, not only the beginning of the concert was approaching, but also the moment when the concert was over.

Back on the venue before the concert it was a special, warm feeling to be together with so many friends of Libera. I was very happy with my place in the center of the 5th row, making it possible to hear a lot of the live sound elements and not only the sound coming from the speakers, while at the same time having a good view on the whole stage.

I guess it was kind of helpful for me to be present during the rehearsal before. This first moment of Libera singing directly in front of you felt very surreal and I was able to recover from that “shock” a bit in the hours between rehearsal and concert, which made it easier to dive into the music during the concert and simply enjoy it without combating a feeling of insubstantiality all the time.

When I write “dive”, this might be the most appropriate description I’m able to give about my concert experience. I simply forgot anyone and anything else and the whole concert felt like one wonderful dream. I would not be able to provide a review of the single songs, at least not at the moment. I can announce that I had goosebumps during every single song, even the ones that I would not call my favorite ones when listening to Libera otherwise. I am simply blown away by Libera’s qualities, definitely surpassing even the most optimistic expectations I had.

To be a bit more specific about the concert at this point, here is a brief list of my song highlights, as far as I can reproduce my feelings during the event: Vespera, Sanctus, Salva Me, Sing For Ever, When A Knight, Libera, I Am The Day (and all the other songs :lol: ). I was nearly getting a bit too emotional, when Daniel W paid tribute to Robert after Sanctus and this is another moment, that will remain in my mind.

Not to say that it was a great experience to privately travel for the first time since the pandemic. I enjoyed good food, drinks and music, slept in a hotel room with a beautiful view on the cathedral and had very good conservations with great people. I am very thankful!
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by theriverflowson on Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Thank you, Manuel, for your (pre-)concert review, that was a very nice and interesting read about how you felt before for a change I'm sure many of us can relate to. That excitement before the first concert, the atmosphere, finding out that Libera is real, the sweet uncertainty what and how it will happen, the uncertainty if it will be as good as you heard and hope, meeting fellow fans for the first time, marveling at the venue etc.

theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:55 pm">1 year ago</span> Looking back, I would say that the rehearsal was that first and most intense “snap-moment” for me on that day, seeing and hearing them live for the very first time. Even the “ti-ta” and “1-2-3-[…]” soundcheck elements in the beginning sounded absolutely beautiful and this procedure was interesting to observe.
YES! That's why I love their sound check rehearsals: because it allows a little insight in how they work. That's the really interesting part, not only a finalised product. :D

theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:55 pm">1 year ago</span> What came to my mind while sitting on the pew listening the rehearsal: How would any random person feel, being a visitor of the cathedral, not knowing about Libera nor about the concert that night, and now hearing by coincidence this sounds of angels in that heavenly place? Libera must have won many more fans during that afternoon and hopefully sold some of the remaining tickets.
That exactly reflects my thoughts from 2017.
(Quote from my review back then: "You have to pay entrance to get into the church, but then you could move around freely. This may have been well-intentioned, for many people sat down and listened, and in the evening, perhaps, some more listeners came to see the concert. Hopefully (I didn't check). One thing is certain: If I had never heard about Libera before and would have come into the cathedral during the sound check, I would have run to the concert in the evening!")

theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:55 pm">1 year ago</span> When I write “dive”, this might be the most appropriate description I’m able to give about my concert experience. I simply forgot anyone and anything else and the whole concert felt like one wonderful dream. I would not be able to provide a review of the single songs, at least not at the moment. I can announce that I had goosebumps during every single song, even the ones that I would not call my favorite ones when listening to Libera otherwise. I am simply blown away by Libera’s qualities, definitely surpassing even the most optimistic expectations I had.
Such a wonderful description. No doubt, you enjoyed your first concert in the most complete way that was possible and I'm very happy you did! And don't worry: You can set your bar that high for the next concert. :D

theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:55 pm">1 year ago</span> The time between rehearsal and concert is not very present in my mind. I was just waiting, curiously feeling a subliminal sadness with the thought in my mind, that with every second passing off, not only the beginning of the concert was approaching, but also the moment when the concert was over.
After the concert is before a concert, but I understand what you mean: For me the most enjoyable moment of a concert is the second, before it starts.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:20 pm">1 year ago</span> For me the most enjoyable moment of a concert is the second, before it starts.
To quote A.A. Milne:

“Well”, said Pooh, “what I like best —“ and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn’t know what it was called.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:55 pm">1 year ago</span> It’s been more than two weeks now since my first Libera concert. I’m still in a state of feeling absolutely euphoric and so thankful that I stumbled over Libera by coincidence during the early stage of the pandemic and to finally have had the privilege of a live experience.
So exciting to read about your first Libera concert! :D It's somewhat surreal seeing them live after years of listening to recordings and seeing videos/DVDs. I'm so glad you were able to have this experience so soon after discovering the choir and also to enjoy the beauty of Ely Cathedral. Not only did you see them perform, but it sounds like you saw them at a concert which was not to be missed.

I think many of us experienced similar emotions at our first concert with Libera. As someone who attended some number of classical music concerts (Libera’s not exactly classical but it’s the closest comparison) before ever seeing Libera live, I can tell you that their live performances can be absolutely mesmerizing in a way that few live concerts I've attended have been. Again, I'm probably preaching to the choir (pun intended :wink:) in saying so, but it's just such a joy to read that you experienced the same phenomenon! :D :D :D
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

maartendas wrote: <span title="Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:52 pm">1 year ago</span>
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:20 pm">1 year ago</span> For me the most enjoyable moment of a concert is the second, before it starts.
To quote A.A. Milne:

“Well”, said Pooh, “what I like best —“ and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn’t know what it was called.
I've never read "Winnie-the-Pooh", but it looks like it is quite common to feel this way. :wink: :D
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:47 pm">1 year ago</span>
maartendas wrote: <span title="Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:52 pm">1 year ago</span>
To quote A.A. Milne:

I've never read "Winnie-the-Pooh", but it looks like it is quite common to feel this way. :wink: :D
I could insert a link to a YouTube video of Carly Simon's "Anticipation" but I'm not sure if it would be in keeping with the spirit of this forum.
GlennJalmas

Post by GlennJalmas »

Libera Official had already released the photos from the last concert🙂.

https://libera.org.uk/gallery/sass-2021-2/