Schola Cantorum

Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: Schola Cantorum Upcoming Performances

Post by Surpinto »

I've seen Carmen several times live and it's definitely Bizet's operatic jewel. His other famous opera Les pêcheurs de perles has some amazing arias but not nearly as many memorable pieces.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Celt wrote: <span title="Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:18 am">1 year ago</span>
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:08 am">1 year ago</span> [...] there is no single opera by any composer for me with such a neverending chain of beauty as in "Carmen".
"neverending chain of beauty" is a brilliant phrase and definitely sums up my experience! :D

Edit: totally stealing that phrase to use when I talk about it. :P
:lol: The honour! Oh, why didn't I expensively sell the rights? How rich I could become! :shock: :lol:
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

It looks like they are embarking on their first tour since the start of the pandemic, albeit a short one to Lisbon.

https://twitter.com/CVMSMusic/status/15 ... 97/photo/1
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Alas, the final curtain. Onward to Lisbon!

bamboo
Silver Member

Post by bamboo »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:56 am">1 year ago</span> Alas, the final curtain. Onward to Lisbon!

Is that LD and FM I see?
Last edited by fan_de_LoK on Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Names removed
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:56 am">1 year ago</span> Is that (LD) and (FM) I see?
We can't name them since this was a non-Libera event but you're on the right track.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I hope everything works out well with their flights. Flight cancellations due to understaffing are a problem with some airlines. It does appear that they made it to their flight this morning however.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

"The term ahead promises to be exciting for the Vaughan's musicians. We are already busy at London's opera houses, with boys preparing for Tosca at English National Opera and in La boheme at the Royal Opera House. Later in the term boys will sing in Tosca at the Royal Opera House.

In addition, 30 boys are to join the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra for a performance of Mahler's Eighth Symphony at the Royal Albert Hall at the end of October. We are also very pleased some of our string players will work alongside our orchestral partners Southbank Sinfonia for their Twentieth Birthday Concert at St John's, Smith Square in November.

The St Cecilia Concert in November at Holy Trinity, Sloane Square will include a performance of Beethoven's Mass in C with much more besides from the School's instrumentalists and singers. Meanwhile, throughout the term we will run a series of Early Evening Recitals, each focusing on a particular aspect of the School's music-making.

In October the Schola will give a concert alongside percussionist Calum Huggan at St Paul's Knightsbridge. In December the choir returns to Holy Trinity, Sloane Square for the annual performance of Handel's Messiah, with St James's Baroque. The Carol Service at Our Lady of Victories, Kensington High Street, closes the term.

Further details on each event will appear here in the coming weeks."

306780158_606691497623477_5321519704543599252_n.jpg
306780158_606691497623477_5321519704543599252_n.jpg (212.2 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
306780158_606691497623477_5321519704543599252_n.jpg
306780158_606691497623477_5321519704543599252_n.jpg (212.2 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
Josquin2Penderecki

Post by Josquin2Penderecki »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:00 am">1 year ago</span> In addition, 30 boys are to join the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra for a performance of Mahler's Eighth Symphony at the Royal Albert Hall at the end of October.
It should be noted that Mahler's Eighth Symphony is scored for double chorus and boys chorus, as well as eight soloists, a huge orchestra and pipe organ. However, because of the forces required, it looks like the concert is using three adult mixed choruses and two boys choirs (Cardinal Vaughan and Tiffin). While I certainly like the whole symphony as a Mahler fan, I think the opening section, "Veni Creator Spiritus", is the best part. The last few minutes are memorable as well.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Josquin2Penderecki wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:51 pm">1 year ago</span>
Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:00 am">1 year ago</span> In addition, 30 boys are to join the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra for a performance of Mahler's Eighth Symphony at the Royal Albert Hall at the end of October.
While I certainly like the whole symphony as a Mahler fan, I think the opening section, "Veni Creator Spiritus", is the best part. The last few minutes are memorable as well.
Nice! You should have plenty of time for a nap in between. :wink:
Josquin2Penderecki

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:16 pm">1 year ago</span>
Josquin2Penderecki wrote: <span title="Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:51 pm">1 year ago</span>
While I certainly like the whole symphony as a Mahler fan, I think the opening section, "Veni Creator Spiritus", is the best part. The last few minutes are memorable as well.
Nice! You should have plenty of time for a nap in between. :wink:
That would be out of the question for me, and the thought of people falling asleep in between is unthinkable, even if it is 85 minutes long! Anyways, the subdued, slow-paced opening section of the second movement is a nice contrast to the overwhelming music of the first movement. Now, if any member of the boys choir falls asleep, they should probably spend a couple days in jail!
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

OMG :shock:

I am SO SO excited for the Oct 11th concert. :D :mrgreen:
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

Celtic wrote: <span title="Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:19 pm">1 year ago</span>
OMG :shock:

I am SO SO excited for the Oct 11th concert. :D :mrgreen:
Congrats to the new class with faces old and new. Looks like it's gonna be an epic year!
Josquin2Penderecki

It's good to see a former member of Libera in the group of new singers. When a talented singer leaves Libera, you hope they won't abandon their musical training/performing