Concert St John’s Smith Square (2021)

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Re: Concert St John’s Smith Square (2021)

Post by TullyBascombe »

Even though I bought a ticket, I have obligations which may prevent me from attending. If such is the case I'll offer my ticket to anyone who wants one.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:19 pm">2 years ago</span>

So, if you were in charge, would you tell choirs such as Libera to not meet in person for the next few months and cancel everything, or do you have something else in mind?
I'm not sure I understand the point you are trying to make. I'm simply saying the concert will not be stopped by a government lock down because the government won't go there. I'm suggesting the only thing that might cancel it is an outbreak of covid amongst the performers because that will require quarantine.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:57 pm">2 years ago</span>
bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:19 pm">2 years ago</span>

So, if you were in charge, would you tell choirs such as Libera to not meet in person for the next few months and cancel everything, or do you have something else in mind?
I'm not sure I understand the point you are trying to make. I'm simply saying the concert will not be stopped by a government lock down because the government won't go there. I'm suggesting the only thing that might cancel it is an outbreak of covid amongst the performers because that will require quarantine.
Perhaps not. See below

"Contacts who are not required to self-isolate

You will not be required to self-isolate if you are notified you have had close contact with someone with COVID-19 and any of the following apply:

you are fully vaccinated
you are below the age of 18 years 6 months
you have taken part in or are currently part of an approved COVID-19 vaccine trial
you are not able to get vaccinated for medical reasons

Fully vaccinated means that you have been vaccinated with an MHRA approved COVID-19 vaccine in the UK, and at least 14 days have passed since you received the recommended doses of that vaccine."
GlennJalmas

Post by GlennJalmas »

A recent response from Libera regarding the upcoming concert states that it will filmed and will be available for streaming🙂.

https://libera.org.uk/news/london-concert/
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Ouch. Even if self isolating is not required I would find it crazy to maintain the concert if any of the boys has been found positive to the virus in the days preceeding the concert. I would find it disrespectful for the audience since the boys could be contaminated even if the tests were negative (due to the incubation lapse of time). That would be risking the contamination a lot of people. I hope they would consider at least a warning so that we could choose for ourselves if we are willing to attend in these circumstances.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:34 pm">2 years ago</span> Ouch. Even if self isolating is not required I would find it crazy to maintain the concert if any of the boys has been found positive to the virus in the days preceeding the concert. I would find it disrespectful for the audience since the boys could be contaminated even if the tests were negative (due to the incubation lapse of time). That would be risking the contamination a lot of people. I hope they would consider at least a warning so that we could choose for ourselves if we are willing to attend in these circumstances.
I don't think it would be necessary to cancel the concert because of one Libera member testing positive days before. Giving a warning about it to those planning on attending may be a good idea though. Just to put things in perspective: Since March 2020, 88 deaths have been recorded in England among children and teens.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:34 pm">2 years ago</span> Ouch. Even if self isolating is not required I would find it crazy to maintain the concert if any of the boys has been found positive to the virus in the days preceeding the concert. I would find it disrespectful for the audience since the boys could be contaminated even if the tests were negative (due to the incubation lapse of time). That would be risking the contamination a lot of people. I hope they would consider at least a warning so that we could choose for ourselves if we are willing to attend in these circumstances.
The distance between the audience and the performers is well over 2 metres and even if a performer were unknowingly infected it is unlikely that this would present a risk of infection to an audience member. Unfortunately, unlike many London theatres, SJSS does not, at present, require proof of full vaccination for entry, masks only. But if you are fully vaccinated (and I would hope that the majority of the audience will be fully vaccinated) the risk of infection would be minimal - probably less than that from travelling to the venue via public transport.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

The American Choral Directors Association (ACDA) recently recommended that all singers and speakers be masked. This recommendation was based on the results of an aerosol study commissioned by an international coalition of performing arts organizations. (https://acda-membership.s3.us-east-2.am ... l+copy.pdf)

The Phoenix Boys Choir recently held a live performance where the audience and the singers all wore masks. I'm not sure if choirs in England are observing similar precautions. The CVMS Schola Cantorum recently gave a live performance but I don't know if the singers or audience were asked to wear masks.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:06 am">2 years ago</span> The American Choral Directors Association (ACDA) recently recommended that all singers and speakers be masked. This recommendation was based on the results of an aerosol study commissioned by an international coalition of performing arts organizations. (https://acda-membership.s3.us-east-2.am ... l+copy.pdf)

The Phoenix Boys Choir recently held a live performance where the audience and the singers all wore masks. I'm not sure if choirs in England are observing similar precautions. The CVMS Schola Cantorum recently gave a live performance but I don't know if the singers or audience were asked to wear masks.
I haven't seen any English choirs wearing masks while singing, thank goodness. However, it's possible that a few are doing it.
Celt

Post by Celt »

CVMS didn't wear masks during their recent concert, nor have I seen masks used onstage at all in any of many events I've attended in the UK since May, thankfully. I really have no interest in hearing muffled nonsense if I'm paying to hear live signing. This isn't just the case in the UK either, Spain for instance has compulsory indoor masks, but in three theatre shows I saw there, only one show had the chorus masked and only when they weren't singing. Interestingly some CVMS boys took part in a study about aerosol dispersion in singing earlier this year, but I don't believe the results have been published yet.

UK Venues have been wildly different in their requirements. Back in May I had compulsory track and trace before entry or temperature checks, and with some venues doing full seat spacing in all directions. Later in the summer some were requiring vaccine certs. Opera Holland Park, which is an outdoor(!) venue, had temperature checks at the gate and full covid seat spacing at the end of July! But in the last month or so the checks seem to have declined further, The Royal Opera House and the London Coliseum for instance have checked nothing but my bag before entry, with none of the opera singers masked and all seats sold.
Last edited by Celt on Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Post by theriverflowson »

There are special 'voice masks' and 'face brackets' or 'mask spacer' (you can google it) available to improve singing under a mask.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as ... -1.5695376

I don't think anyone would like to wear this during a public concert, but at least it is good to have this possibility in case it would be mandatory to be masked.
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
Celt

Post by Celt »

Most theatre shows are still testing their actors daily I believe, allowing them to perform as normal on stage.

I forgot to mention that no venue has required the use of facemasks for customers since the law change in the summer, but many still have notices and announcements encouraging it. Airports, Transport for London (tube and buses), and some train operators do still require it.
seraphita
Silver Member

Post by seraphita »

Thats good news. I was waiting for that.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

GlennJalmas wrote: <span title="Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:30 pm">2 years ago</span> A recent response from Libera regarding the upcoming concert states that it will filmed and will be available for streaming🙂.

https://libera.org.uk/news/london-concert/
[]_________[]_________[]

Forever //*\\ Anima Christi
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

So I'm not going to be able to attend the concert, I have an obligation at home the day after. I have a single printed ticket in row H for the 8 PM concert. I'd like to give that ticket to anyone who will take it. If you want it just PM your name and address to me. First come first serve.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Free ticket, Seat H 5. Anyone who wants it I'll pop the (printed) ticket right into the mail.