Potential Impact of COVID-19 on Libera

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

bachmahlerfan

Re: Potential Impact of COVID-19 on Libera

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Well, I'm happy to hear that Evensong made a return to St. Philip's. If you aren't happy to hear this, I can probably guess why and I feel sorry for you. Anyways, I hope this can continue uninterrupted, unless, of course, one of their own members tests positive for the virus.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

The choir apparently sang at the morning Communion service at St Philip's today. Unfortunately, with the new tiered system in England for covid-19, and London going into the Tier 2 (high) phase, they may not be able to do anything in a group larger than 6 in future services or rehearsals. If London goes into Tier 3, then I assume they will have to shut down for awhile.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

So, can anybody guess when Libera may start rehearsing again? I read that choirs could be allowed to rehearse outdoors as early as April 12. However, until Libera can start rehearsing indoors, I don't think they will be able to make much progress.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

According to the news vaccination in Britain is proceeding very well, so who knows, restrictions may be lifted within a few more months. The vaccination of children is still uncertain though.
kay
Silver Member

Post by kay »

Hi Tully

Trying to second guess current situation in UK is in reality a minefield. Our vaccination program has been outstanding BUT the threat of yet another spike/wave is still a possibility. From Monday up to 6 people (or two households) can meet socially distanced in gardens. Sunday lunch in gardens in our climate is, well........

Recording sessions/concerts all we can do at this stage is hope. Children don't seem as prone but there has been a rise in, what we term, secondary school age kids (those from 12 upwards). Personally I hope the rise is just because they have all gone back and won't lead to anything more serious.

As for the boys all we all want I guess is for them to stay safe and get back to normality when it is so.
I Listen To the Music Of Angels
GlennJalmas

Post by GlennJalmas »

A recent Tweet from Libera Official about the pandemic.

bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I saw the latest guidelines for amateur choirs singing indoors from the UK government. They are only allowing up to six people in a choir. Some people expressed disappointment over this. Hopefully the maximum number of people permitted will increase soon. I don't know if these guidelines are enforceable, or if a choir could simply decide to disregard it.
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Post by theriverflowson »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Wed May 19, 2021 3:32 am">2 years ago</span> I saw the latest guidelines for amateur choirs singing indoors from the UK government. They are only allowing up to six people in a choir. Some people expressed disappointment over this. Hopefully the maximum number of people permitted will increase soon. I don't know if these guidelines are enforceable, or if a choir could simply decide to disregard it.
Thanks for the update. I found the following:

"Gatherings above the limit of 6 people or 2 households indoors can only take place if they are covered by a legal exemption, such as:
organised parent and child groups or support groups which can be attended by up to 30 people
[...]"

Source: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/covid-19-co ... ts-changed (last updated: May 17, 2021)

I would have thought that "organised child groups" would be applicable in this case, but you say a separate guideline exists for choirs?
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Wed May 19, 2021 10:33 am">2 years ago</span>
bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Wed May 19, 2021 3:32 am">2 years ago</span> I saw the latest guidelines for amateur choirs singing indoors from the UK government. They are only allowing up to six people in a choir. Some people expressed disappointment over this. Hopefully the maximum number of people permitted will increase soon. I don't know if these guidelines are enforceable, or if a choir could simply decide to disregard it.
Thanks for the update. I found the following:

"Gatherings above the limit of 6 people or 2 households indoors can only take place if they are covered by a legal exemption, such as:
organised parent and child groups or support groups which can be attended by up to 30 people
[...]"

Source: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/covid-19-co ... ts-changed (last updated: May 17, 2021)

I would have thought that "organised child groups" would be applicable in this case, but you say a separate guideline exists for choirs?
From what I've seen online, choirs are dealt with separately, so the exemptions mentioned on the source you referenced don't apply. Anyways, a bunch of amateur choirs were looking forward to having their first rehearsal this week in a long time, only to have their hopes dashed. Their seems to have been a lack of communication and clarity from the government entity.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Related to my last couple posts, I noticed that the London Oratory Schola choristers are allowed to sing in a full choir at weekend masses. I know there are exemptions for school choirs, but they're singing at a weekend mass for the general public. In addition, they are not a boarding school, so they don't have a "bubble" like choristers at a boarding school. Yet, the choir at St. Philip's where Libera members sing would still be limited to just six singers indoors (I don't know what St. Philip's is doing currently). Sorry, but I don't see the logic in this.
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Post by theriverflowson »

This topic currently appears to be more and more present in the media:

BBC: Amateur choirs 'devastated' at Covid rule change in England

The Guardian: Distraught choirs forced back to Zoom after late Covid rule change in England

In social networks this topic is discussed under the hashtag #SingingMatters and there even is a Petition on the UK Parliament website that could need some more signers.
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Singing for musical education is exempt I believe:

https://musiciansunion.org.uk/working-p ... -musicians

Therfore, if you are creative, I think you can get around the issue. Could also be that the Oratory is considered to be a professional choir for the purposes of worship.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

So, it seems that the singers are back to a regular schedule of liturgical singing on Sundays along with rehearsing. Looking ahead, I don't know when they will do a tour again. However, there is a 5-1/2 month gap between their Christmas concert and their Ely concert next year. If they aren't going to tour, couldn't they manage to do a couple more concerts? They have the one week break in February and the 2.5 week break in April. It would be nice if they could schedule additional concerts during those breaks in London or other locations in England. If they don't tour next summer either, then they should do the same during that period.

Looking ahead to the next couple months, they mentioned that something was in the works to honor Robert Prizeman and his legacy. I wonder if that will occur before Christmas, or if it will be early next year? They do have the late October vacation to work with, but I have the feeling they may need more time to put all the components together for a program.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:45 pm">2 years ago</span> So, it seems that the singers are back to a regular schedule of liturgical singing on Sundays along with rehearsing. Looking ahead, I don't know when they will do a tour again. However, there is a 5-1/2 month gap between their Christmas concert and their Ely concert next year. If they aren't going to tour, couldn't they manage to do a couple more concerts? They have the one week break in February and the 2.5 week break in April. It would be nice if they could schedule additional concerts during those breaks in London or other locations in England. If they don't tour next summer either, then they should do the same during that period.

Looking ahead to the next couple months, they mentioned that something was in the works to honor Robert Prizeman and his legacy. I wonder if that will occur before Christmas, or if it will be early next year? They do have the late October vacation to work with, but I have the feeling they may need more time to put all the components together for a program.
Libera usually goes very quiet from Christmas until spring, presumably rehearsing for their spring and summer appearances. I suspect it will be the same in early 2022, but I agree that it would be nice if they made up for lost time by scheduling something for this winter.