Notre Dame is burning

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

TrebleVoices

Re: Notre Dame is burning

Post by TrebleVoices »

A bit late to this post but I'll add my two cents...

I was lucky enough to attend a concert in Notre Dame in 2016. It was a concert by the Københavns Drengekor, with Danish Royalty in attendance. I have to say the combination of magnificent singing with such a spectacular and historic venue made it a very special concert. So I for one am very hopefully they can restore the cathedral to former glory.

As for the restoration destroying the feel of the place. In my opinion if this was a complete rebuilt from ground up, I might agree. But much of the building remains, many of the artworks and artefacts were saved, so while there will be new bits, a substantial part of the building will remain "original". I have put original in quotes there because, to echo Tully, Cathedrals are continuously restored and improved or altered over time. Take Ely for example, built in phases, parts of it fell down, and it was restored several times. Did any of that detract from it being quite a stunning venue for the Libera concerts? In my opinion it only adds to the history, adds to the story, and allows this generation to put their mark on it for the future.

Perhaps in 100 years time a French boy will be visiting the cathedral on a guided tour and shown the restored roof will proudly say, my great-grandfather worked on that!

Even stonehenge had some restoration work done...
P1030117.jpg
P1030117.jpg (2.07 MiB) Viewed 9470 times
P1030117.jpg
P1030117.jpg (2.07 MiB) Viewed 9470 times
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

First mass in Notre Dame since fire :D

You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

The video is unavailable. Has it been set to "private" or is it limited to specific countries?
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

It says "This video is private".
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

I am in France and can't read the video, it says it is private.
I believe the first mass was only with priests inside the building (wearing helmets, funny sight ! :D ) with onlive retransmission. It was a while ago. For Christmas they set a concert of the regular adult choir, and with famous french musicians such as Gauthier Capuçon, with helmets too, and still TV live :lol:

Here, hear an Ave Maria (I'm not sure whether this was the whole concert or not ?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTgTjZzyCUA

(I don't know how to insert the video)