St John's Smith SQ Christmas Concert 2020 (Dec 6)

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

filiarheni
Gold Member

Re: St John's Smith SQ Christmas Concert 2020 (Dec 6)

Post by filiarheni »

Here are some thoughts of mine about this long awaited concert. I'd have loved to attend, I had two tickets which I very upset had to return due to the obligation to quarantine upon arrival in the UK. So the tickets turned into donation so that at least something positive resulted. 

It was strange to see the boys without their numerous choreographies with which they normally accompany their songs. But this didn't seem to steal their enjoyment and they were as committed as always. They went with the music as much as their restricted positions permitted them to do, even with the most upbeat songs such as Ding Dong Merrily On High and others. Very well done, boys!

The sound was highly transparent, sometimes it may have even been too much, but on the other hand I did enjoy hearing details I usually don't. :)

Above all else, I had been excited about the three new songs and they couldn't be any more different! One calm and heartwarming. One touching the soul unto tears. And the third vibrant, playful. 

Let Me Make Songs For The People formed the thrilling concert opener and following the lyrics' meaning, it was doubtlessly the most appropriate song to start off a concert which accomplished under such problematic circumstances in a world turned upside down this year.
Tune and harmonic construction of this anthem-like piece are rather conventional, no big surprises, they progress in a familiar way. So this differs from songs like Angele Dei for example. BUT it's absolutely captivating via its gorgeous arrangement! Love at first listen over here. :) It is both rich and gentle, directly full of power and hope for the future, the several part harmony starting with the second verse was simply enchanting and then the third verse turned to a soft, intimate mood. A catchy, but certainly no boring song.
This marvelous introduction to the concert made it very clear that neither Libera's singing quality nor their sound had dropped during those past long months and I leant back and let myself carry away with joy and with goosebumps for what more was to come tonight.

Walking in the Air, ah, this lovely song does so good! It's Luca's song indeed, it suits him in the best way, as by that frequency of long notes he can showcase his amazing breath control and the crystal clear shimmer of his voice. A gem!

If was the song I had been curious about the most. Being German, the fact that it originates from a film about Anne Frank strikes a chord in me, and those poignant lyrics hand in hand with the haunting music have a deep impact on me. There's an intensely longing, imploring tone, of resignation even, and yet I still seem to perceive a slim ray of hope there, and all of that doesn't quit to evoke that "why". Nevertheless, the way I feel about this song is not only intertwined with its historic reality, but at the same time includes today's issues. I fail at putting that in proper words, I'm afraid.
Robert's arrangement follows the original song closely; however he did what I had quietly been hoping for: To lessen at least a bit the heartbreaking melancholy of the original in favour of giving it a brighter, more hopeful direction by the choir, who with gentle caution enfolded Daniel's lead part. The song lays its entire focus on the solo. So Daniel had a huge responsibility. He fulfilled his job, as if he was aware of that, he really was inside the song, which was very moving to watch as well.
A wonderful song.

The Angel Gabriel is a song we apparently don't talk about very often when we discuss Libera's songs, although I'm almost sure we all like it a lot. Maybe this results from being quite an even-tempered song without much development. It's just rounded in itself. I love to hear Libera sing it and this time it was one of my highlights of the concert! :D The song itself is simple, but the streaming Libera sound and the soft musical swaying while the song moved on blended to an irresistible ensemble, completely homogeneous, which includes the orchestra. The song filled me with peace throughout and the final part was mesmerizing.

I never get tired of Carol Of The Bells. That's still a terrific song up to today and Libera delivered it with the usual spirit! I always pay special attention to that essential part later on, when the music is being built up increasingly and with a final draw of even more power at "from everywhere filling the air" opens out into "Oh how they pound etc.". That has to happen seamlessly and was excellently delivered by the choir under the perfect conduction by Steven Geraghty. I'd like to use this song to, representing the whole concert, give him a shoutout here and now! He conducted precisely and unobtrusively and it was a pleasure to watch him.

Deep Peace was the song I liked the least of this concert due to its strange sound. When the singing had begun after the intro, it made something like "whoops" in me, as there suddenly was a painful sound discrepancy between solo group and the accompanying choral and instrumental part. Also there was too much reverb added for my taste. So I regret to say that I didn't enjoy the song very much, although the singing itself was flawless. 

Sing For Our World - yeah! :lol: Very dance-like, rhythmic, not at all like the songs by Libera we are used to, not even with upbeat songs like Ding Dong or Three Ships. But the choral arrangemen did work, it was still our Libera who sang it! :mrgreen:  That's a rousing music which was so entertaining to listen to! A speedy, difficult song which requires full concentration, but I bet they had enormous fun rehearsing and performing it. Having to avoid the natural movement to such a groovy piece must have been a challenge and for me it was a somewhat odd view, while the energy they put into their singing was absolutely visible. I couldn't help but move to their rhythm on my comfy couch and no other song saw me smile as broadly as this one. WOW!

But oh, what did you do to me to publish two songs at the same time with such titles Let Me Make Songs for the People and Sing For Our World? How shall I manage not to confuse them forever?! :shock:

The energetic I Saw Three Ships closed a magnificent Libera concert as their encore.

Coming to the solos, Daniel, Dominik, Luca and Victor had a most busy day, double-busy so to speak. ;)  Tbh, I'd have preferred a broader variety of soloists, oh look how spoilt I have become through the last years! :mrgreen:  I missed an extended lead solo by Oliver WR or a solo by Laurence I had much wished for. Voice changes ahead ...? But I guess that after such complicated choir times Robert, very comprehensibly, intended to be on the safe side with a reduced group of highly experienced reliable soloists. We did get to hear some prospective soloists though, the youngest of whom was Daniel, I believe  - called "Small Daniel" as distinguished from "Big Daniel" (White) - singing the final line of Carol of the Bells. Although short, Small Daniel's voice and his calm promise good times to come!Dominik's voice has distinctly developed: It has taken in more vigor and more core and he clearly gained more confidence. You could tell that he kept practising his voice, of which we were given plenty of proof during the lockdown time. 

Summarising what I wrote and what I had to skip due to a lack of time, this concert not only made me more than happy in terms of the music, but also gave me the relieved security that Libera has not incurred any damage by the corona disaster. I feel warm and joyful inside, and how I long now for seeing them in person finally again in April/Ely ... please, please, may it happen! :roll:

Especially big thanks to Libera and all others and also to the staff of St. John's Smith Square for making all of this possible; for attendance in person as well as through streaming! After so much concert frustration this year it feels incredibly good to have had this one! :D  It was very uplifting as well to share an equal excitement with other Libera fans around the globe. :)
Last edited by filiarheni on Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

@filiarheni Wow, you're German?

You write in English better than most Englishmen!

Thanks for the review!
justin

Post by justin »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:05 am">3 years ago</span>
Song For Our World - yeah! :lol: Very dance-like, rhythmic, not at all like the songs by Libera we are used to, not even with upbeat songs like Ding Dong or Three Ships. But the choral arrangemen did work, it was still our Libera who sang it! :mrgreen:  That's a rousing music which was so entertaining to listen to! A speedy, difficult song which requires full concentration, but I bet they had enormous fun rehearsing and performing it. Having to avoid the natural movement to such a groovy piece must have been a challenge and for me it was a somewhat odd view, while the energy they put into their singing was absolutely visible. I couldn't help but move to their rhythm on my comfy couch and no other song saw me smile as broadly as this one. WOW!

But oh, what did you do to me to publish two songs at the same time with such titles Let Me Make Songs for the People and Song For Our World? How shall I manage not to confuse them forever?! :shock:
I agree wholeheartedly. However, if you look very closely, at 55:13-55:16, you could see that Victor was shaking his head as if in agreement with the verse "love, peace and freedom, no boundaries between us". And then from 56:40 to 57:00 when they were singing their "Do do.. da da... la la", you could see a number of boys bobbing their heads along with the rhythm (Freddie, at the front, being the most obvious :lol: ) Can't wait to see their full choreography when they're not forced to be rooted to a spot!
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

An amazing review as always, filiarheni, full of colorful descriptions and small vivid details! Although I enjoy reading everyone's reviews, yours are always a treat to take in.
justin wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:52 am">3 years ago</span>
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:05 am">3 years ago</span>
Song For Our World - yeah! :lol: Very dance-like, rhythmic, not at all like the songs by Libera we are used to, not even with upbeat songs like Ding Dong or Three Ships. But the choral arrangemen did work, it was still our Libera who sang it! :mrgreen: That's a rousing music which was so entertaining to listen to! A speedy, difficult song which requires full concentration, but I bet they had enormous fun rehearsing and performing it. Having to avoid the natural movement to such a groovy piece must have been a challenge and for me it was a somewhat odd view, while the energy they put into their singing was absolutely visible. I couldn't help but move to their rhythm on my comfy couch and no other song saw me smile as broadly as this one. WOW!

But oh, what did you do to me to publish two songs at the same time with such titles Let Me Make Songs for the People and Song For Our World? How shall I manage not to confuse them forever?! :shock:
I agree wholeheartedly. However, if you look very closely, at 55:13-55:16, you could see that Victor was shaking his head as if in agreement with the verse "love, peace and freedom, no boundaries between us". And then from 56:40 to 57:00 when they were singing their "Do do.. da da... la la", you could see a number of boys bobbing their heads along with the rhythm (Freddie, at the front, being the most obvious :lol: ) Can't wait to see their full choreography when they're not forced to be rooted to a spot!
That's right! And those with individual microphones and earpieces likely had the added rhythm of a click track playing in their ears as well!
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Alas my internet provider has been squashing down my bandwidth recently so my appreciation of the concert was dampened by frequent buffering stops. I'm almost reluctant to try to view the stream again because I only get 6 tries. From what I was able to hear and see I am most interested in seeing Libera post a YouTube video of "If". Even broken into segments it was enchanting.
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:41 am">3 years ago</span> Alas my internet provider has been squashing down my bandwidth recently so my appreciation of the concert was dampened by frequent buffering stops. I'm almost reluctant to try to view the stream again because I only get 6 tries.
If you stay on the same browser tab, you should be able to play it as many times as you want.

In the Bleak Midwinter will be released on Sunday.
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Thank you filiarheni, as usual we are in agreement about everything :D

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:45 pm">3 years ago</span> I didn't notice Dominik's voice crack. In fact, I got the feeling he might just make it to Ely as a treble.
Strangely enough, I agree with you both. Dominik's voice did crack on Carol of the Bells, but it sounded more like usual cracks that happen when you are tired or stressed, and I think he might stay a treble for a while.
Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:45 pm">3 years ago</span>Question for those in attendance: what was the group's mood like? Why do you think there were so few smiles in the video?
I'm not sure there were few, maybe the video does not show many, but there are plenty of view from upside, when we cannot see the boys faces. Victor smiled, so did Lewis, so did Freddie. Maybe it was a bit stressful for them to, being filmed + performing in strange circumstances + Robert not conducting them...
maartendas wrote: <span title="Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:43 pm">3 years ago</span> I am very sure Nathan *was* there though, judging from the hair 😉
I believe you refer to NathanIEL, I was speaking of Nathan Slater, mini-boy, little guy.
Dinedorelle wrote: <span title="Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:30 pm">3 years ago</span> Also, can you spot all the 8 MiniBoys? I can only see 5.
I can see 6 of them. I count 37 boys on stage, so maybe not everyone from the program's list made it.

From left to right : first one is Joseph, third one is Freddie's little brother (can't remember his name though is it Thomas ?)

Also if that's of any help, here are the names of every boy on stage.
From left to right

1st row : Alexandre Menuet, Daniel White, Victor Wiggin, Koji Shinokubo, Frederick Mushrafi, Luca Brugnoli
2nd row : Taghd Fitzgerald, Laurence Davey, Laurence Taylor, Oliver Watt-Rodriguez, Dominik Clarke, Daniel Catalogna
3rd row : Mini boy Joseph, Morgan Whiltshire, Hal Avery, Lewis Quinn, Jack Spicha, Ethan Barron, Mathias Montoro
4th row : Frederick Day, Cameron Birmingham, Luke Batteson-Dialpaz, Neo Parson, Ludwik Kowalczyk, Mini-boy
5th row : Mini-boy, Little Mushrafi, Calam Tamana, John Gardner, Ben Bywater, Nathaniel Bates-Fisher, Mini-boy, Mini-boy
6th row : Peter Kielty, Cameron Stewart, Alex Montoro, Taichi Shinokubo
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

justin wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:52 am">3 years ago</span>
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:05 am">3 years ago</span> Having to avoid the natural movement to such a groovy piece must have been a challenge and for me it was a somewhat odd view, while the energy they put into their singing was absolutely visible. I couldn't help but move to their rhythm on my comfy couch and no other song saw me smile as broadly as this one. WOW!
However, if you look very closely, at 55:13-55:16, you could see that Victor was shaking his head as if in agreement with the verse "love, peace and freedom, no boundaries between us". And then from 56:40 to 57:00 when they were singing their "Do do.. da da... la la", you could see a number of boys bobbing their heads along with the rhythm (Freddie, at the front, being the most obvious :lol: )
Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:45 am">3 years ago</span>That's right! And those with individual microphones and earpieces likely had the added rhythm of a click track playing in their ears as well!
filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:05 am">3 years ago</span> Having to avoid the natural movement to such a groovy piece must have been a challenge[...] while the energy they put into their singing was absolutely visible
There it is. :wink:

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:05 am">3 years ago</span> Having to avoid the natural movement to such a groovy piece must have been a challenge
I'm sure we can agree that their movement, although it was there, was a "basic version" :lol: of what would have naturally come out, if only allowed. :cry:

Luckdragon wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 12, 2020 12:21 am">3 years ago</span> @filiarheni Wow, you're German? You write in English better than most Englishmen!
:oops: Many thanks, Luckdragon, also to Surpinto, and Padma: :D I'm not familiar yet with your or any other review, but I rely on you and will see later on! :)
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
bamboo
Silver Member

Post by bamboo »

Did anyone notice that one of the boys near the back on the left was seated on the ground for a few songs like 'In the Bleak Mid-Winter' and 'Sing Lullaby'? I wonder why...

Also, has anyone had problem buying the programme from Libera's website. I've tried thrice so far and my purchase isn't going through :( Any ideas what I should do? Would really love to buy a copy of the programme.

By the way, are there any soloists on Deep Peace? It seems to me that Daniel White, Victor Wiggin and two others started the song without the rest singing? Did I get it wrong?
bamboo
Silver Member

Post by bamboo »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:00 am">3 years ago</span> Image

From left to right : first one is Joseph, third one is Freddie's little brother (can't remember his name though is it Thomas ?)

Also if that's of any help, here are the names of every boy on stage.
From left to right

1st row : Alexandre Menuet, Daniel White, Victor Wiggin, Koji Shinokubo, Frederick Mushrafi, Luca Brugnoli
2nd row : Taghd Fitzgerald, Laurence Davey, Laurence Taylor, Oliver Watt-Rodriguez, Dominik Clarke, Daniel Catalogna
3rd row : Mini boy Joseph, Morgan Whiltshire, Hal Avery, Lewis Quinn, Jack Spicha, Ethan Barron, Mathias Montoro
4th row : Frederick Day, Cameron Birmingham, Luke Batteson-Dialpaz, Neo Parson, Ludwik Kowalczyk, Mini-boy
5th row : Mini-boy, Little Mushrafi, Calam Tamana, John Gardner, Ben Bywater, Nathaniel Bates-Fisher, Mini-boy, Mini-boy
6th row : Peter Kielty, Cameron Stewart, Alex Montoro, Taichi Shinokubo
I believe it's Camden Stewart in the 6th row and not Cameron Stewart :)
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Post by theriverflowson »

bamboo wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:50 am">3 years ago</span> Did anyone notice that one of the boys near the back on the left was seated on the ground for a few songs like 'In the Bleak Mid-Winter' and 'Sing Lullaby'? I wonder why...
I noticed this too and assumed these were the Mini Boys because they might not be prepared to present the full repertoire of songs.
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
theriverflowson
Silver Member

Post by theriverflowson »

bamboo wrote: <span title="Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:50 am">3 years ago</span> By the way, are there any soloists on Deep Peace? It seems to me that Daniel White, Victor Wiggin and two others started the song without the rest singing? Did I get it wrong?
At the beginning: Daniel, Victor, Dominic (Alexandre, Frederick, Neo and Laurence T. rather supporting I would guess)

At the end: Daniel, Victor, Laurence D.

At least that's what I recognized from the camera angles :)
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Phew, well that was lucky Libera had that window of opportunity to perform at SJSQ - London goes back into Tier3 tomorrow.

Just fully watched the livestream concert and it was the usual rollercoaster of emotions we've come to expect from South London's finest. Nothing much more to add to the already posted collection of thoughts and reviews, but obviously great solo efforts from Daniel W, Victor W, Luca B and Dominic. Very much enjoyed the new songs esp. 'IF' and that lively, upbeat 'Sing for the World'. I only wish they could roll out 40+ boys every time they perform that one again, it really benefits from all those multi-layered voices singing their parts. A little sad that some of the boys are transitioning to a different level but glad to see new mini-boys waiting in the wings to continue the Libera story.

Here's to wishing.....at some point - a Covid-Free 2021!
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Egorbea2018

Post by Egorbea2018 »

When you look at the video of In The Bleak Midwinter (link below) I think it is Joseph Cranitch at 1:32 to the left of the screen (with Daniel White on your right) but I am not sure.

I have not watched the concert. Dominic Clarke is AWESOME in this video. His voice is so smooth, controlled, and beautiful. I hope they let him continue to do solos when he gets alto or tenor voice.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:34 am">3 years ago</span> When you look at the video of In The Bleak Midwinter (link below) I think it is Joseph Cranitch at 1:32 to the left of the screen (with Daniel White on your right) but I am not sure.

I believe that's Alexandre.

Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:34 am">3 years ago</span> I have not watched the concert.

:shock: WHAT?! :lol: You must watch the concert immediately and write a full review!
Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:34 am">3 years ago</span> Dominic Clarke is AWESOME in this video. His voice is so smooth, controlled, and beautiful. I hope they let him continue to do solos when he gets alto or tenor voice

He is really good.