St John's Smith SQ Christmas Concert 2020 (Dec 6)

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

john45
Gold Member

Re: St John's Smith SQ Christmas Concert 2020 (Dec 6)

Post by john45 »

Lingchou wrote: <span title="Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:45 am">3 years ago</span> What I can say having now analysed the video footage is my disappointment in the way that it has been filmed- you would think that we are viewing two different events.
I understand what you are saying. I felt the same way about the DVDs of the Armagh and Washington concerts both of which I attended. Both DVDs are a wonderful permanent record of the concerts, but neither did, nor could, truly reflect the live experience. As others have said, any record of this wonderful concert is better than none. Yes, it would have been nice to have close-ups of all the boys and better identification of the descant singers (a major fault in the Washington DVD) but considering the adverse circumstances the result was remarkably good.
justin

Post by justin »

For those who are interested, Libera's "Sing for our World" is based on "Nusantara", an original composition by famed Indonesian composer, Elwin Hendrijanto. The song was created for a children's choir in Indonesia.

https://youtu.be/r2i91u8uuqQ

The (google translated) lyrics are below:

Archipelago
Green wilderness gem
Ocean blue sapphire
Beautiful array of islands like paradise
From Sumatra to Papua
Various ethnicities, customs, languages
Hereditary cultural heritage
United different but one
Unity in diversity
(As one we will be victorious, we will thrive and prosper)
Between two ocean continents
Sabang, Merauke, Miangas, Rote
Under the sky on the equator
Bali, Belitung, Timor, Ternate
United different but one
Unity in diversity
Archipelago,
Archipelago prosper victorious
Archipelago,
(As one we will be victorious, we will thrive and prosper)
United different but one
Unity in diversity
Archipelago,
Archipelago,
As one we will be victorious, we will thrive and prosper
One

Just waiting for Libera to release the lyrics of their version now :D
Last edited by justin on Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Great fimd Justin. Looks like we might be heading to Indonesia some time soon.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I'm glad you found the original version! It should be noted that while the composer is Indonesian, his website does mention that he's based in Jakarta and London. Also, he received two Masters degrees from the Royal College of Music in London. I really enjoyed the energy and vigor of this song, and how the different sections work together. As for the lyrics, they're not bad, but the whole concept of one world united fighting for good is a little vague. After all, who's going to decide what is good?
justin

Post by justin »

Also, I've attempted to transcribe "Sing for our World". There's a few words I couldn't quite catch, appreciate any input.

Joining our voices that sing in the darkness
Joining in song to light up our way
Love, peace and freedom, no boundaries between us
Rising together all peoples as one
Feel the motion beating all dancing in rhythm
Lift up your eyes to the light of the dawn
Come raise your voice so the angels can hear us
Make a song to be as one

Libertatem…

Joining our voices in unceasing chorus
Singing together a song for the world
Love, peace and freedom, no boundaries between us
Fighting together all nations as one
Lift up your eyes to the light of the dawn
Share our dreams to be as one

Sing for the world
Sing for the world that are hopeful tomorrow
Sing…. (Libertatem, unitatem)
Sing for the world
Sing (Libertatem, unitatem)
Libertatem, Unitatem...

Lift up your eyes to the light of the dawn.
Hear our song to be as one

Sing for the world
Sing…. (Libertatem, unitatem)
Sing for the world
Sing (Libertatem, unitatem)
Libertatem…

Sing!
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Thank you for your transcriptions of the lyrics ! I am myself starting to catch sentences from my second watching of the concert.

Did you noticed a change in the boys look ? I can give you a clue, it's not white :D Probably they could not change in SJSS so they came with "it"...

Dominik's solo in "In the Bleak Midwinter" was longer than on the CD, he sang the whole verse by himself, did he already last year or is it something new ? I love it, his rendition of these words is really moving.

I know remember "Let Me Make Songs", and can sing it too :lol: It is really good, and I suspect we could hear a solo on a future arrangement.

As for "If", on the contrary I would like to hear more chorus. Daniel's solo is superb, but I decided I wanted more chorus. It will definitely grow on me with a record, since I already liked it better on second hearing.

Someone told me that Joseph Cranitch was there : well, prove it ! I can name everyone on stage except for the miniboys, and there is no Joe :lol:
I am worried that Cassius Collard might not be part of the group anymore, he missed the Online concert and Christmas concert... I would be sad, since I loved his voice and smile and hoped to hear more solos from him.

Also, I can't remember anyone said that : congratulations on the ex-mini boys, who made it to stage and full concert ! It is not unusual that some mini-boys disappear before they get into the group for real, and Morgan, Cameron, Hal, Ludwik, Lewis and Daniel are here and they are very professional too. I believe Nathan is missing, though. I can imagine it was a difficult year for the singers, and that these boys kept on singing and made efforts is valuable. Thank you guys !
Celt

Post by Celt »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:09 pm">3 years ago</span> Did you noticed a change in the boys look ? I can give you a clue, it's not white :D Probably they could not change in SJSS so they came with "it"...
I hadn't noticed but someone already pointed it out to me. Their shoes!

I presume it wasn't possible because they came in from outside. They arrived 15 minutes before the start of the concert, took their coats off and piled them at the back on the left (coincidentally right next to me in the first concert!) and then filled on stage and after taking their face masks off all turned away from the audience and sat down on the stage.

I'm guessing they did this because the artist facilities in SJSS are too cramped for social distancing.
Dinedorelle
Silver Member

Post by Dinedorelle »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:09 pm">3 years ago</span>
Someone told me that Joseph Cranitch was there : well, prove it ! I can name everyone on stage except for the miniboys, and there is no Joe :lol:
Yep - he was definitely there :lol: I may be mistaken though as I'm not so good with the newer boys.

Image courtesy of St John's Smith Sq. online
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

That is definitely Ethan Barron :lol:
Dinedorelle
Silver Member

Post by Dinedorelle »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:24 pm">3 years ago</span> That is definitely Ethan Barron :lol:
Yep you're right Padmachou it is Ethan - Glad I put in my disclaimer! :D
Well spotted - maybe he was unwell?

Also, can you spot all the 8 MiniBoys? I can only see 5.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Thank you Justin for the original recording of Sing! It’s an infectious song :) The video made me wonder what choreography Libera will create for it, once it’s allowed again :)

Padmachou: you’re so right about Dominik in In the Bleak Midwinter! I always felt like the entire verse belonged to him, so it did not register until you mentioned it.

Ah yes, Cassius... A remarkable, energetic singer. Wherever he is, I wish him well.

I am very sure Nathan *was* there though, judging from the hair 😉
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:09 pm">3 years ago</span> Dominik's solo in "In the Bleak Midwinter" was longer than on the CD, he sang the whole verse by himself, did he already last year or is it something new ? I love it, his rendition of these words is really moving.
Speaking of which...
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

I've been a lurker for some time now, but I signed up mainly to thank everyone for their reviews. It's interesting how everybody sees and hears things a little differently and I enjoy reading all of the different perspectives.

One of the highlights for me was getting to hear Freddie speak and sing in the brief duet. His voice wasn't what I expected. It had a sort of reedy (I'm not sure that's the best word, but closest I could come with) quality to it that was rather unique and interesting. I'm not sure it matched up well with Oliver's, though. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a last minute decision since Oliver is looking like his treble career could end any second now. :(

Regarding members in attendance, it sounds like we're adding Cassius and Oliver M to the list of former members. Does that leave Alex, Felipe and Sam as the current members who were missing?
Victor

Post by Victor »

Leo was also missing. Did anyone else notice Dominik's voice crack on "Carol of the Bells"?
Luckdragon
Gold Member

Post by Luckdragon »

I didn't notice Dominik's voice crack. In fact, I got the feeling he might just make it to Ely as a treble.

Question for those in attendance: what was the group's mood like? Why do you think there were so few smiles in the video?
If you want to perform then you have to PERFORM!
--Hector Coco (2017)