St John's Smith SQ Christmas Concert 2020 (Dec 6)

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

theriverflowson
Silver Member

Re: St John's Smith SQ Christmas Concert 2020 (Dec 6)

Post by theriverflowson »

A new info has been added on the SJSS booking page (at least I haven't seen this on my prior visits):

"Content can be accessed at any time during the on demand period for a maximum of 6 individual browser sessions and cannot be shared with others."
https://www.sjss.org.uk/libera
Fall on your knees! O hear the angel voices!
Dinedorelle
Silver Member

Post by Dinedorelle »

theriverflowson wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:38 pm">3 years ago</span> A new info has been added on the SJSS booking page (at least I haven't seen this on my prior visits):

"Content can be accessed at any time during the on demand period for a maximum of 6 individual browser sessions and cannot be shared with others."
https://www.sjss.org.uk/libera
Yes, I have this extra information too if it helps, that I received today from their office:

The video is released for view at 8pm (GMT) this evening and can be watched at any time from then until the end of 6th January 2021.
There is also a maximum of 6 individual browser sessions (if you close and restart the browser). If possible, I would recommend using a browser or device that keeps the tab open.
As the programme has already been recorded, you will be able to pause and restart at any time so don’t worry about interruptions.
You also don’t need to click on the event as soon as the content becomes available, but whenever is convenient to you.

Please only click the link from the released time to avoid you being locked out of the stream.

I'm wondering if there are loads of people that pay for this all over the world, whether it may become more common occurrence?
I for one would be happy to pay for an online concert every time they did one as I live in France.

Hope everyone enjoys the concert this evening.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Yes, I received the same message. I'd hope they will consider an FAQ section, because I guess they received numerous questions of the same content. :? Would be less work for them. :wink:
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
GlennJalmas

Post by GlennJalmas »

Libera Official had just released the concert video for Ding Dong Merrily on High in YouTube.

JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

Interesting, thanks for sharing the information. Also thanks to those lucky enough to attend the concert last Sunday, who provided their thoughts and photo's here and on twitter.

Wasn't aware of the maximum allowed 6 browser sessions. So probably best, if you have to break off from the viewing (for whatever reason) keep the browser window open and resume from the active window.
GlennJalmas wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:51 pm">3 years ago</span> Libera Official had just released the concert video for Ding Dong Merrily on High in YouTube.

Excellent - just like the CD. As if further encouragement was needed to stream the full concert this little teaser should do the trick.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
GlennJalmas

Post by GlennJalmas »

JimmyRiddle wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:14 pm">3 years ago</span> Interesting, thanks for sharing the information. Also thanks to those lucky enough to attend the concert last Sunday, who provided their thoughts and photo's here and on twitter.

Wasn't aware of the maximum allowed 6 browser sessions. So probably best, if you have to break off from the viewing (for whatever reason) keep the browser window open and resume from the active window.
GlennJalmas wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:51 pm">3 years ago</span> Libera Official had just released the concert video for Ding Dong Merrily on High in YouTube.

Excellent - just like the CD. As if further encouragement was needed to stream the full concert this little teaser should do the trick.
You're very much welcome🙂. I most certainly agree with you saying about that. The teaser adds up to the thrill and excitement.
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

I just finished my first watch of the concert (and I intend to enjoy all 5 others :lol: )
It was really good and the sound is excellent. It's a shame only that the camera could not film all the boys though. I cannot imagine the sadness of the boys who's face never appeared clearly... But I do know about MY sadness though :o

I was glad to hear a bit of Freddie's voice, I hope we will hear more as he seems to enjoy it, also he is a good speaker. I noticed that little Daniel is Luca's shadow... it seems that Luca and Dominik are training him to do the job later :) Good to know. Very very cute boy he is, too.

I do not remember much about the first song but I liked it, it will probably grow on me if we get to hear it again (or better, hear a record, like on a new CD :roll: ). Something difficult with new songs is as you don't know the lyrics you don't ever understand what they say on first hearing (that is at least for a non-english native like me).

I found Dominik was at his top. Every solo from him was a pure grace. Especially Sing Lullabye, velvet voice... I felt like going to sleep. :lol:

I was surprised to find Luca's voice on Walking in the Air more childish than I remembered and more childish than on the CD record. I keep on forgetting how young he is. May he still be a soloist for Libera in a few years when his voice will be the strongest... it should be huge !

The "dynamic" pieces like Ding dong or Three Ships were super good. There is a newbie on the right of the stage who dances, and ALSO makes his robe dance :lol: I feel it.

I was a bit disappointed not to hear a solo on Deep Peace. As I understand during the first concert Tadgh did it but then he could not go on. I do not like it so much when only a few of them sing, like they are 5 or 6 soloists, it does not sound either solo either group... I liked the June's version better anyway, with various little solos, but I supposed it would have been difficult to do it on stage. But why no Laurence T solo ? :(

Total Praise was a must ! I don't know why it disappeared from the programs for so long, as I ever liked it. Live, it is even more powerful than the June's online record.

If was kind of a disappointment, surprisingly. I thought it would be my favourite amongst the new songs, but it wasn't. I am eager to hear the record though, as I suspect that the balance of the soloist's voice with the group disturbed me. Also I would have opted for a more melancholic voice than Daniel's who is really soft (though he is a great soloist !).

And a least, Sing for our world was VERY surprising. I would have expected such an arrangement during a tour, like... in Indonesia :lol: Is there a partnership or a forthcoming tour to explain such a choice ? I liked it very much, it is good, but unusual for Libera. It sounded to me like Libera is making an attempt at something, and maybe they are trying to reach a different public. I will be the public for them whatever they will sing. But I can understand that some did not enjoy it. It made me think a bit of the song they recorded "If the kids are united" with a pop-rock group.

Can't wait for an other watch, other thoughts, new feelings :D

SO GOOD to attend the concert, almost like I made the trip to London. Thank you so much Libera and SJSS ! Can you make a DVD ? I will purchase it.

EDIT : unless I make a mistake, Cassius Collard was not present to this concert ?
So the list would be :
Joe Cranitch
Oliver Mycka
Sammy Collins
Felipe Jackson ?
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

No Alex Gula either but I guess he is about 15/16 but after seeing him since he was a little kid it still for me was surprising he was missing.

Also Rocco and Leo of the older boys have probably left as well.

eta - also nathaniel bates fisher wasn’t in this concert.
Last edited by dani on Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Celt

Post by Celt »

I attended both concerts on Sunday, and am on my second playthrough of the online version.

I cannot overemphasize enough how much this concert has raised my spirits. It was my first live concert since March (which was CVMS, coincidentally :wink: ) and I enjoyed every minute. Libera for me, are at their best at Xmas time, and this year was no different. I liked all three new songs on the second sing-through.

My highlight? I think that would be "If" in the second concert. I was utterly captivated by Daniel's performance.

The lyrics, with his voice, and delivery...
Dinedorelle
Silver Member

Post by Dinedorelle »

dani wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:43 pm">3 years ago</span>
Nathaniel was definitely there - with his telltale mop of hair. So was Jo Cranitch :D
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

What a great concert and a treat during this highly uncertain pandemic time. :D

For something that was not to be recorded as a DVD the video quality was good with shots of the whole choir as well as individual singers working well. The fact that the concert took place Sunday and then we had a full edited video by Wednesday is a testament to the tireless efforts of the Libera staff for which we can only continue to be grateful.

I'll go through song by song with my short impressions of each:

Let me make songs – a new energetic song with that classic Libera twist. A great way to start off the concert with a bang.

Bleak Midwinter – Ending with Dominik soloing with his gentle and sweet voice, this calm song never fails to stir me.

Walking in the air – While not a favorite simply because this song has been performed so often and by so many, this song is executed perfectly and Luca’s solo is flawlessly backed up by the choir with oooh’s and aaah’s. Although to call certain parts of the song “solo” would be false because in the video Dominik and others are clearly singing the main parts along with him – though with the audio equipment clearly putting Luca as the “forward” voice.

Ding Dong – Always a pleasure to hear this happy song. Some of the boys seemed more relaxed during this song than previously. Always a fun piece to hear!

If – I really like this new song. I’m not formally educated in music so forgive my terminology which may be a bit off, but the song is unusual in its chord progression compared to most Libera songs….in a good way. Daniel does a great job and perfectly executes this piece in which he has to hold certain notes and switch the key quickly. The song is emotionally compelling and that steady rhythm of the piano creates a sort of tension in the composition such that the song moves you along a road so to speak.

Sing lullaby – One of my top favorite songs from their most recent Christmas album with Dominik on solo just as on the album. Just perfect!

Angel Gabriel – Another song from the last album with Victor again on solo just like on the recording. The song is well done but there is really nothing to add except that both Victor and the choir were at their usual high standard on this song.

COTB – On this concert recording I could hear more clearly the descants and other supporting parts compared to the studio recording – which was actually a net positive. With Dominik and Daniel on the ending “aaah aah aaaaah” ’s it was well done. Always good to see a new boy (small Daniel :lol:) doing a new small solo part with his ending on this song.

Deep Peace – A nice song and well done but not my favorite. Enough said :wink:

Noel Nouvelet – Just like the recording with Victor on the main solos. But then there is a small part where Freddie and Oliver WR are singing a small part together. Our first time I believe hearing Freddie's singing voice. Nicely done and a great song.

Poor Little Jesus – One of my top favorites not only from the last album but in general from among the full Libera repertoire; so I couldn’t wait to hear it again. It never fails to move me and Luca’s solo cuts right to the heart of the song. Although I am not religious, the religious/philosophical idea of the dark parts of the world breaking the heart of a supreme being are poignantly expressed in both word and melody.

Total Praise – Same as when it was sung on the Apart but Together virtual concert culminating in those spin tingling "amen"s. Great song!

Sing for our World– A unique arrangement with the boys who weren’t singing the main theme of the song using their voices almost like instruments (or rather, instead of them); almost like they were simulating strings and percussion instruments. This song is so atypical of their style that I struggle to categorize precisely what my feelings are. But you know what? It’s catchy, fun, and creative. So I must say that I do like it! Though the poor choristers seemed a bit out of breath after this fast paced piece :lol:

Three Ships (Encore) – Always a fun song. Upbeat and fun. Maybe an upbeat song following the previous piece lessened its impact but it was good all the same.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Dinedorelle wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:04 pm">3 years ago</span>
dani wrote: <span title="Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:43 pm">3 years ago</span>
Nathaniel was definitely there - with his telltale mop of hair. So was Jo Cranitch :D

You are right for some strange reason I missed his name on the programme when I checked.
Last edited by dani on Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

Just a quick note from me after having watched the concert for the first time:

In general:
- Everything is great, top-notch singing even though they've been locked down in their homes for quite a while.
- There are some glitches here and there but those are just minors compared to the whole absolutely wonderful experience.
- I can hear the harmony parts of certain songs in this concert more clearly than in the studio recordings, which really definitely adds something really cool to my music experience. 8)
- It's fun to be able to grasp a view of the lighting, it's fun to see the boys when the lights are off, and it's fun to see musicians having a great time at the back.

In particular:

- 3 new songs are all super great! Let me make songs for the people is a very creative piece by RP, everything seems to have been 'calculated' very carefully for this one - I love the 'Medieval tribal (?)' vibe of it, and those high vocalizes at the end. If is nice, with Daniel's wonderful solo and the choir's wonderful vocalizes - his voice is getting better day by day. Sing for our world is one of the most pleasant surprises - I don't know this song beforehand, and refused to listen to it prior to today - it is shining and soaring with the brilliant western music and 'ethnic' music parts interweaved together, this is something I didn't know I needed! I really hope Libera is making a collab or working together with some organization in Indonesia and they can come there soon (because then I can go see them easily hehe :lol: )

- Dominik is brilliant in In the Bleak Mid-Winter and Sing Lullabye - not only is his voice reaching its peak in terms of quality, but his posture is also becoming more 'professional' while his face still expresses what he is conveying through his singing. Just, amazing!

- The way Luca 'carries' the whole choir in Walking in the Air is superb! He is also wonderful in Poor Little Jesus. Overall, his control of breath is breathtaking (lol see what I did there?)

- Ding Dong Merrily on High and I Saw Three Ships are out of this world! I remember disliking them very much, but Libera changes my mind with their marvellous version(s). Their singing here sounds too good to be true.

- Carol of the Bells takes my breath away no matter how many times I've listened to it!

- Deep Peace is very well sung. And the placing of Deep Peace right after Carol of the Bells is brilliant!

- Noel Nouvelet is one of my favorites of the whole concert. The way the choir handles different parts in different keys and different dynamics blows my mind away. Victor's solo is pleasant to listen to, as in The Angel Gabriel - this one is still growing and growing on me even more.

- Total Praise: sublime. I cannot say anything else.

All in all, I'm just super happy that I can listen to them as it's been a while. I already knew that I would be blown away, but still didn't expect it to be "this" blown away (you know too well what I mean :roll: ) I was like: "okay I'll just get up at 3 AM and stream the concert then I'll go back to sleep" lol how naive I am, with the concert being THAT fabulous I cannot pull myself to sleep anymore. :D
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Absolutely loved the whole concert. As always, it went by so fast!

Let me make songs - a very powerful start and an attractive melody. Some people commented that they couldn't remember it after the concert so I made sure to pay good attention :) but it wasn't hard to do so :) There was one bit where the parts were kind of swirling and you could really hear the back row well. Loved it

In the bleak midwinter - I'm never fully prepared for this song in concert, it's so moving! And again tonight. Dom's solo here just everytime goes straight to my heart (the same for Sing Lullaby).

Walking in the air - a dream, a fairytale, marvelously executed by Luca. I am impressed with the ease with which he sings, so strongly he stands there and delivers his notes. I don't mean it's effortless, but he manages with great confidence to sing clearly and powerfully. Superb.

Ding dong - fun and upbeat, loved the energy. Sparkling.

If - this one got me floored. Right from the start it got me and took me along. I got tears in my eyes halfway through. It stirred deep emotions within me and it just lit up my heart. Really something special and wonderful, this song - and Daniel is a natural soloist for it. He has a very natural, easy way of taking on the lines of a solo and bringing them to life and to light. It was like he was singing straight from his heart, as if this song has been with him all his life. It's like the leaves on a tree, that's how natural it felt to me. I can't wait for the video! :D

Sing lullaby - if it wasn't enough with all the emotions, this stirring song was next! It always moves me, just like In the bleak midwinter, and again Dominik's solo was a precious one. It felt good to be in familiar territory, though, after If, so that I could at least 'land' a bit :)

The angel Gabriel - powerful, glorious, steady. Really loved it. Again I felt lit up inside.

Carol of the Bells - more light and more bouncing energy! Not much else to say about this from my memory :) Just energetic, fun and impressive as always :)
ETA - wait, I almost forgot! Small Daniel's solo - he has a powerful, crystalline voice. Kind of like Leo or Gabe. Promising!

Deep peace - a kind of song I needed, after another hectic time personally. I let the voices just drift over me with their message of peace and tried to soak it all in. A calming experience.

Noël nouvelet - more diversity and colour in the music again. I enjoyed seeing Victor's joy in his face while singing :D and I also enjoyed the small duet between Oliver WR and Freddie.
Btw, Freddie did really well at his speeches - bravo!
Noël nouvelet is a song with so much variation but it's done subtly and it builds up gradually - only afterwards do I realise what a rich song it was. Very enjoyable and captivating.

Poor little Jesus - moving (is there another word I can use, please? ;)) and impressive again. Just pure voices, so simple but so dedicated. A piece like this shows off the true skill of a choir, I think. Luca's solo 'this world's gonna break your heart' - always moves my heart, it stays with me to ponder the fate of the Christ child.

Total praise - I'm glad this song is getting more recognition and likes :) I have fond memories of when they first sang it, it was unforgettable for me and it's nice to see that the song stays on the repertoire. It's lovely to bathe in the Amen's at the end, it's a very soothing and uplifting song.

Sing for our world - talk about uplifting! This got me dancing on the couch :D Wow, truly inspiring and surprising. I just love, love, love when Libera does something unexpected (just like they did with Total praise in Krakow). This song radiated such hope and joy, it was fantastic and I really, really hope they record it and release it somehow.

The encore was Three Ships and this continued the dancing energy. It was great fun to end the concert with this joyful, upbeat feeling, just as it had started so powerfully. In between were some precious, moving moments and all in all I felt so pleased that the boys were able to sing in concert after all. You could really tell that they themselves were also very pleased and relieved to sing in concert again. Hopefully they can live off this energy long enough until the next concert!
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Great reviews maartendas, kinda_k00l, and Padmachou! :D

This concert was truly a success and I certainly think I speak for all of us when I say that we really needed this!