Old boy

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

James237ww

Old boy

Post by James237ww »

Hi all,

I was a member of St Phillips Choir and all various name changes from 1989 and left in about 1995. I recently found all the videos my mum recorded of the various tv appearances and came across this forum. I find it amazing that people still enjoy And have the older stuff.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: Old boy

Post by Surpinto »

Wow! Welcome to Libera Dreams. I don't believe that we have ever had anyone associated with the choir, from any period of time, participate here. But of course you are welcome to join us and appreciate the music with us. :D I see that you have been participating in the various ongoing discussions about former members and I am sure that our resident archivists on the forum appreciate any assistance you are able to provide them.

While I am very familiar with those old recordings, the albums in particular, for a long time now, I have never taken on the interests of some of the fans here to document and archive all of that old information. With that said, the current manifestation of Libera has often revised or otherwise re-recorded music from both the Angel Voices albums and St Philip's Boy's Choir albums - sometimes bringing back songs from that era for the first time after many years.

So of course your presence here to reminisce about your past experience with the choir is more than welcome as it gives us an insight into the history of our favorite choir. If you don't mind me asking, are you a fan of the music generally as it is today? That is, are you a fan of the Libera choir as it exists and records music at the present time? If you are only here for nostalgia purposes please don't let my question put you off; all are welcome here for any and all reasons to discuss the choir. :D
James237ww

Post by James237ww »

Thanks for the welcome!

A lot of the older tv appearances I haven’t seen for close to thirty years now so it was great to show my kids who find it endlessly amusing. Particularly the Christmas Wrapping video with Tony Robinson. I do still listen to the music, usually when I’m working, including some of the more recent stuff. I love the fact that in terms of musical style, the group hasn’t changed much since I was singing and it’s nice to hear pieces I was involved in all those years ago being sung by a different group.

My younger brother Grant was involved in the choir for much longer than I was and did a lot of backstage work as he got older.

It’s brought back a lot of memories over the past few days listening to and watching the videos. Hope that answers your question!
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Yes, you answered my questions. Thank you. Glad your kids are able to find amusement in their father's childhood activities lol. :D
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Hello James

Welcome to the forum. I think the last person associated with the group who announced themselves was Andy Winter, but that was a long time ago now. The first thing that sprang to mind when I read your post was are you going to upload those old recordings on to YouTube if they aren't already on there! If I could ask, which programmes were they and what were the songs?

I normally welcome new members with a YouTube clip but it seems a little out o0f place for somebody that was a member. Oh well, here goes:

If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love