New CD "Christmas with LIBERA" in 2019

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

bamboo
Silver Member

Re: New CD "Christmas with LIBERA" in 2019

Post by bamboo »

maartendas wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:46 pm">4 years ago</span> Do you hear what I hear?
The proper start of the album, in my perception. (I am used to Christmas Eve services having a short introductory part of carols before the actual service starts, so it is not strange for me to have a Christmas album starting properly at the third song :)). Why do I feel this way? Because at the concerts this was the opening song. I remember the boys entering the stage and the sensation of the concert starting whenever I hear this song. It is a perfect opening song, starting with a single voice, slowly building and ending with an enormous, glorious finale, leaving me with a sense of awe and perhaps some moistness around the lower eyelids. The orchestral arrangement reminds me of Sancte (edit: I can hear brass instruments in there, but they are not listed in the credits).
Any guesses who are the starting soloists for this song? It's not listed in the album, but I hear 2 high soloists and 2-3 more lower voices at the start.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

bamboo wrote:
maartendas wrote: Do you hear what I hear?
[...]
Any guesses who are the starting soloists for this song? It's not listed in the album, but I hear 2 high soloists and 2-3 more lower voices at the start.
In the recent concerts, the soloists on the intro of Do You Hear What I Hear were Oliver W-R, Dominik, Ben B, Alex G, and Peter.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

In London it was Oliver WR in the middle, with Alex G and Peter directly behind him. Ben stood on the far left (seen from the audience's perspective) and Daniel on the far right.
I seem to remember it was also Daniel (and not Dominik) in Japan, but not 100% sure.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Thank you Maartendas for your review. While even the most secular among us understands, at least partially, the religious elements of these pieces, your exposition into the more theological meaning of particular songs was interesting to read.

As for the music itself, I can't help but agree with many of your descriptions and appreciating the very same songs as you for much the same reasons. While the Libera arrangement of these songs is excellent, this album used solos and soloists to great emotional effect on several songs which elevated them to a higher emotional level for me. It seems that your and many others agree as based on the descriptions written about these pieces.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Thank you Surpinto for your post. I have the impression that Libera recently is becoming more straightforward in expressing their religious background. For instance, Beyond is almost entirely filled with songs that can be regarded as prayers (like Ave Maria, In Paradisum etc.). In the past the songs seemed more 'spiritual', like a mix of Christian and undefined spiritual themes, nowadays I really get the feeling it is more religious and bringing across the Christian faith.
For me personally I cannot separate Libera from my own journey of faith, so perhaps this is why I experience this so strongly and emphasise it in my reviews. I think it can add to the appreciation of the music if you understand more of this background.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Egorbea2018

Post by Egorbea2018 »

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2020!

Thank you everyone for your reviews of the Christmas with Libera album. I greatly enjoyed reading them today.
Egorbea2018

Post by Egorbea2018 »

maartendas wrote: <span title="Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:46 pm">4 years ago</span>
Sing lullaby
A real favourite of mine, partly because it encapsulates the Christian faith in one quiet ballad
Maartendas, I love reading your very poetic, heartfelt reviews. I especially like how you describe your religious beliefs as related to the songs and mix it up with your musical knowledge. As a Catholic Christian I really enjoy the religious lyrics (Christ is the reason for the season) and the beauty Libera brings to each song. I personally prefer the songs with a Christian theme but Libera makes every song they touch great. In this album, Walking in the Air and Carol of the bells are just spectacular. I love the whole album. Thank you.
Last edited by fan_de_LoK on Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: BBCode tag quote correction