St John's Smith SQ Christmas Concert 2019, 3rd December, London

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

filiarheni
Gold Member

Re: Christmas Concert 2019, Tuesday, 3rd December, London

Post by filiarheni »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:57 pm">4 years ago</span> As I understand it is not a church either ?
It was a church previously, but was reconstructed to be a concert hall, and you can notice inside that it had been a church.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_John%27s,_Smith_Square

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:54 pm">4 years ago</span>
filiarheni wrote:I was there exactly two weeks ago for the Schola Cantorum (Cardinal Vaughan) concert! [...] However, after checking photos to see the height of the stage, I decided against it and took a seat in the middle of row D, and my view from there on the stage was excellent, I could perfectly well see all choir and orchestra members, and I'm small! In fact, if I had had a choice now for the Libera concert, I'd have done the same = choose row C or D and not first or second row.
I am not sure that libera will chose the same stage disposition as the other choir. We know how that choir occupies the space there, it exists many photos. Musicians in the front and the very large choir in the back on the big platforms. But that choir is static, while libera, as we know, moves all the time and even practices being bindfolded.
Yes, you are right, Libera will make the conditions of what they find there serve them as best as possible. I was referring to the height of the stage which, if it's high, makes me prefer to sit further away for the neck's relax. And here this was no mistake: Despite my own size which has me pray every time that no too tall person sits right before me, I had a free view and did not feel too far away either, as I could well see everything. I think it's a good venue for a good view.

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:54 pm">4 years ago</span> Isn't possible for the libera boys to occupy the large front stage, where they can move freely, with the musicians being in the back on the platorms ?

This 360° navigation link below allows to explore the church. Interesting but I can not appreciate the real depth of the upper platform. Is it depth enough to welcome the widely spread libera choir ?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Vt35vHRJGGPYzCCN8
I'm sorry to not be able to reply to this, as I don't remember it well enough. Had I only known a Libera concert would ever take place there, I'd have paid more attention.
And I'm not sure to which degree the parts of the stage are movable and can be adapted to the performers' needs. But I've seen how amazingly Libera is able to adapt themselves, while sometimes they have big, sometimes only little space. I hope and think that it will be fine. :)
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
j8000

Post by j8000 »

The stage looks to be set up as usual, with two rows A and B in front of the pillars. I have sat in the front row before for choral and orchestral performances and found it an excellent place to be - no neck craning necessary!

This could have been my first ever Libera concert but I managed to pick this night to take my aunt to her first ever classical choral concert - at Westminster Abbey - which despite some convincing being necessary, she is apparently now really looking forward to. :roll: :lol:
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

Now, I have 4 spare tickets for the concert: H12 - H15 - in the middle of the 8th row. They are standard tickets (not premium). If you are interested, please PM me.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

This is the seats availability at about 12 hours after the concert went officially announced and the premium seats to go on sale.

Pretty good, isn't it ? :)
ste1701fan

Post by ste1701fan »

As i totally missed out on getting premium tickets, i'd be thankful if anyone has a spare to buy=) I see theres some going in Row H...that would be a nice fall back too in case noone has premiums left. thanks! flight & hotel is booked, just no ticket haha=) usually its the other way around.

...not so happy about the mid-week concert :-/ but hey....can't miss the xmas concert=) so i'll trade off holiday-vacation days for the concert and sway in memories when im at work on december 24th and 27th haha =)
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

ste1701fan wrote: <span title="Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:29 am">4 years ago</span> ...not so happy about the mid-week concert :-/ but hey....can't miss the xmas concert=) so i'll trade off holiday-vacation days for the concert and sway in memories when im at work on december 24th and 27th haha =)
Same here. Tuesday requires me to take two days more off work, which I will have to make up for immediately, because this time of the year is the busiest here, and I only get away by begging and bribing. :roll: :mrgreen:
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

I took a day and a half off work, which will allow me to enjoy the 4th of december in London :D My boss said yes, sooo concert ticket : done, train booking : done, hostel : done :D :D :D
Sooo happy to see you guys soon !
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

The things we do and sacrifice for Libera! :lol:

Enjoy the concert everyone; reviews are not required but are strongly encouraged demanded. :wink:
TimS_TheToolman

Post by TimS_TheToolman »

I found the concert announcement late. The best I could do at the time was F-4. From the previous comments it may not be to bad a choice. I tried getting back into the ticket website to see what had changed since the some premium seats had been released, no go, won't let me see. But, then again, F-4 is a premium seat.

A Tuesday evening, bummer, that means no M&G. Had hoped for one since I would like to ask some of the boys about some things they did on their summer tour. (Yes, I attended all 5 concerts.)

Now, to book a hotel and airline tickets. And, plan what to see in the days before and after the concert. For one, I need to finish up at the Royal Air Force Museum. I was last in London 3 years ago (Christmas Concert).

Hope to make some new acquaintances and renew some old ones. :D
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Three attractive concerts simultaneously on 3rd December, 7:30 pm, not too far from each other, which all would have been candidates to attend under successive circumstances. :roll:

St. John's Smith Square - Libera Christmas concert
Westminster Abbey - Händel, Messiah
Cadogan Hall - Westminster Cathedral Choir concert

Our venue is filling fine. :)
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

TimS_TheToolman wrote: <span title="Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:00 pm">4 years ago</span> I found the concert announcement late. The best I could do at the time was F-4. From the previous comments it may not be to bad a choice. I tried getting back into the ticket website to see what had changed since the some premium seats had been released, no go, won't let me see. But, then again, F-4 is a premium seat.

A Tuesday evening, bummer, that means no M&G. Had hoped for one since I would like to ask some of the boys about some things they did on their summer tour. (Yes, I attended all 5 concerts.)

Now, to book a hotel and airline tickets. And, plan what to see in the days before and after the concert. For one, I need to finish up at the Royal Air Force Museum. I was last in London 3 years ago (Christmas Concert).

Hope to make some new acquaintances and renew some old ones. :D
Glad you're making the return trip Tim - have you been to IWM Duxford just outside Cambridge? A couple of half-decent choirs knocking around that area also...
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Four weeks to go, the venue looks like this:

Libera CC 2019 SJSS 2019-11-05.PNG
Libera CC 2019 SJSS 2019-11-05.PNG (29.93 KiB) Viewed 3799 times
Libera CC 2019 SJSS 2019-11-05.PNG (29.93 KiB) Viewed 3799 times

A bit of a fun picture with the single blue spots here and there and there. :wink:
TimS_TheToolman

Post by TimS_TheToolman »

Yorkie wrote: <span title="Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:21 pm">4 years ago</span> Glad you're making the return trip Tim - have you been to IWM Duxford just outside Cambridge? A couple of half-decent choirs knocking around that area also...
Hi Yorkie. No, haven't been to IWM Duxford. Going to be a short stay, 2/12 to 6/12.

I finally have all my arrangements completed, with a month to go. It was getting a little touch and go on the hotels but I found one I think will do me nicely. Airline tickets, because of the late concert announcement are not entirely to my liking but they will suffice.

I also purchased a ticket for the Hansel's Messiah at The Holy Trinity on Thursday. All that remains is to fill in the gaps between concerts. :)
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Hi Tim,
There's another performance of the Messiah at St. Paul's on the 4th December. Tickets are free and are released in batches. Getting one is much the same as competing for a front row seat at a Libera concert. First batch goes on sale this Thursday and I will try and get one (or two if you are interested). There's also a carol concert at St. Bride's on that date (Libera made videos there) but I know nothing about the choir. Same thing at St. John's Hyde Park. Of course, there are also lots of theatre choices. If you are still in London on the 6th, "A Christmas Carol" at the Old Vic is well done. Various Pantomimes ( a British Christmas tradition) are available and there's always "The Snowman" if you don't mind joining an audience of predominantly under 5 year olds for this popular show for kids. I like it, but prefer to have an approprately aged niece or nephew in tow.
Look forward to seeing you.
John
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:16 am">4 years ago</span> Four weeks to go, the venue looks like this:

A bit of a fun picture with the single blue spots here and there and there. :wink:
Seesh. No point to trying to buy a ticket at this point is there - unless of course you actually wanted to stay as far away from Libera as possible. I considered attending this concert but I have family coming for Thanksgiving, I needed to find out when they were leaving. Now I know that they're leaving on the 30th and could have made it to the concert, but I don't want to sit in the back row. Oh well, I wonder where they'll go next year?