New CD "Christmas with LIBERA" in 2019

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

dani
Diamond Member

Re: New CD "Christmas with LIBERA" in 2019

Post by dani »

Surpinto that’s such a lovely review :)

So what songs do we think will make the Japan set list?

We can guess the obvious ones like

Carol of the bells
Poor little Jesus
Do you hear what I hear
In Dulci Jubilo
I saw 3 ships
In the bleak midwinter

But what of some of the other songs we haven’t heard before.
swalker2001
Site Admin

Post by swalker2001 »

Thanks Surpinto for the amazing review. I'm already bursting with anticipation for my copy that I ordered from Amazon Japan (which was supposed to arrive by the end of this week but is now expected next Tuesday) and this review just makes the waiting that much harder. Looking forward to this very much.

Steve
====
"If you cannot teach me to fly, teach me to sing."
--JM Barrie, Peter Pan
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Found this on youtube :) It's Libera Official's channel.
mawi

Post by mawi »

Surprise!

Amazon needs only 2 days for shipping from Japan! :D
I found my CD today in my letter box.
They sometimes need more time for orders within Germany.
libera-christmas-cd-2019.JPG
libera-christmas-cd-2019.JPG (182.19 KiB) Viewed 12132 times
libera-christmas-cd-2019.JPG
libera-christmas-cd-2019.JPG (182.19 KiB) Viewed 12132 times
I was near to follow the Download Link Fan_de_Lok posted (thank you for that), but now an can save the money.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I just received my CD this afternoon, which is sooner than I expected! I have one question regarding the instruments. I thought there was a harp playing in "Walking in the Air" and possibly a couple other songs, but in the credits the only hand-plucked instrument mentioned is a guitar. There is no mention of a harpist.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:02 pm">4 years ago</span> I just received my CD this afternoon, which is sooner than I expected! I have one question regarding the instruments. I thought there was a harp playing in "Walking in the Air" and possibly a couple other songs, but in the credits the only hand-plucked instrument mentioned is a guitar. There is no mention of a harpist.
I thought I heard a classical guitar on "Wexford Carol" but I was not sure and didn't mention it. It was definitely used in the Ireland live recording as you can see it at 1:08. A versatile instrument that should be used more. :D
Padmachou wrote: <span title="Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:49 pm">4 years ago</span>

Found this on youtube :) It's Libera Official's channel.
It's not exactly on their official channel. Libera never uploaded it to their channel as you can see if you look at their channel uploads. Instead it has been automatically uploaded to YouTube by the music production company and then attached to Libera's official channel through an algorithm.

If you read the video description it says:
Provided to YouTube by The Orchard Enterprises

Walking In The Air · Libera · Robert Prizeman

Walking in the Air

℗ 2019 Libera Music / Invisible Hands Music

Released on: 2019-10-18

Auto-generated by YouTube.
Further, if you click on Libera's channel and try to find the video it suddenly isn't there. :wink:
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:37 pm">4 years ago</span>
bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:02 pm">4 years ago</span> I just received my CD this afternoon, which is sooner than I expected! I have one question regarding the instruments. I thought there was a harp playing in "Walking in the Air" and possibly a couple other songs, but in the credits the only hand-plucked instrument mentioned is a guitar. There is no mention of a harpist.
I thought I heard a classical guitar on "Wexford Carol" but I was not sure and didn't mention it. It was definitely used in the Ireland live recording as you can see it at 1:08. A versatile instrument that should be used more. :D

I wouldn't be surprised if that's a classical guitar in "Wexford Carol". I'm wondering if the harp sounds I hear in other songs come from a synthesizer which uses sampling of a real harp.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

I believe this is the first CD where Raoul Neumann is credited as a guitarist. He's done plenty with the French horn already, but it's nice to see that he is proficient at playing the guitar as well.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

My review of the Japanese album, "Christmas With Libera". Since I don't have the physical album yet, I'm not sure if there are soloists named for Do You Hear What I Hear. If so, I'm going to add them later.

The Angel Gabriel  
Arr.: Robert Prizeman
Solo: Victor Wiggin

That's such a wonderful song I've been loving for a long time, and I'm super-glad about them singing it.  It begins with a slowly increasing intro whose sound makes me feel warmer and warmer. It then features a recorder, which here is considered as a typical Christmas instrument. Victor sings it with a very mature voice - how well he has developed! - and flawlessly. The arrangement places the typical Libera shine on the song, for which I adore Libera, and couldn't be any more beautiful. The ending puts sort of a symmetry to the song by a decreasing sound and with the Gloria that had already started it.

In Dulci Jubilo
This is the quickest version of their three recordings of the song. The slower one of Ireland made it more festive, a calm gladness, while this quicker now is more dancing for joy. I still like the Armagh one better, but both have their own charms. The arrangement, which I love, as it perfectly sets the joyful lyrics to music, in general has remained the same as in previous versions. Armagh's interlude after the third verse has been enriched by playful garlands of alto choir vocalises. And I really like the deeper voices which form a solid fundament to this lively song.
In past times, I had found the song boring, as it's sung at each and every Christmas in each and every church over here, and never knew I'd be able to enjoy it, until I heard Libera's version at the Christmas concert 2016. Perhaps this song is one of their best examples to show how Libera can turn songs thought to be nothing into something attractive and dear.

Do You Hear What I Hear
Solos: Div.

Yes, this belongs to my most favourite Christmas songs ever! Robert seems to have read my mind in terms of the arrangement, as this is the one of which I've always dreamt someone should write it: with lots of voices echoing each other and echoing the echoes. :D And wow - the beginning! The different solo voices, first individually and getting all time to fade, then more and more mingling in those echoes, the interesting harmonies added by the instruments and - fabulous! - the deep voices with a somehow Gregorian touch. It's a mesmerizing beginning I get lost in most pleasantly to then wake up to the clear, straight song. Every verse is arranged differently and it's very nice that different solo instruments as well as voices are featured in the echo line. I personally enjoy the extended use of the clarinet. The last verse is really majestic, fitting the words "Said the king to the people everywhere" and puts a triumphant ending to the so nicely developing lyrics. Magic song!

P.S. On the international CD version Do You Hear What I Hear will be the finalising one; appropriate for a great album.

In the Bleak Midwinter
Solo: Dominik Clarke

A Libera song which makes me just sink down inside and surrender! So much beauty, so very much peace and hope! Robert wrote an exceptional arrangement here. 
In the first verse, there's that impressive bourdon underlying the unison singing, which, both combined, so excellently picture the earth frozen in darkness, while there are already a few notes by the flute like foreshadowing the light to come. But then the numb ice begins to melt, movement and diverse harmonies join to bring in more and more colour and the initial repellent status dissolves to warm friendliness. The choir has a wonderfully streaming sound here, and in the third verse there is a marvelous choral setting. Very well sung! This is followed by Dominik's sweet solo verse, matching the song's gentleness. A very rounded song in itself and deeply touching my soul.
Since Brighton and Moscow, I've been longing for hearing it again and I know exactly why! :) 

Ding Dong Merrily on High
Arr.: Sam Coates
Okay. Okay, okay. :lol:  I admit that I find this song not as bad now that I've heard it in full, which delivers the evidence that we should never judge prematurely. At least not negatively. At least not if it's about Libera! :mrgreen: In fact, I must say that, despite disliking the song itself for being just too "ding-dong", Sam Coates has written a very creative arrangement, varying from verse to verse, which distinctly enhances its value for me. I even have to more or less correct my snippet fear that the song would sound too hasty. - Still, I don't like the beginning. The second verse with the bass rhythm however is funny. Well, the whole song made me laugh, and at the end where they got into a ding dong* loop I was laughing so hard, I had to repeat this bit just for the purpose of counting. :shock:
The song sounds as if Libera just made a break from work to simply have some fun. It will sure not become a favourite of mine, but when I need some laughter this may be my go-to song, and I mean that positively. 
(Oh no, now I've looked up how I could translate "laughter that frees the soul" and the dictionary says "liberating"! Ok then, let's call it a Liberating song! :wink:

*[Edit: In fact, it was a gloria loop. This song has me dizzy. :wink: ]

Sing Lullaby (The Infant King)
Solo: Dominik Clarke

An enchanting song in 3/4 time which pictures the child being rocked to sleep. Libera's singing is so gentle here, it's amazing how sensitively these boys are able to sing. Sam Coates's arrangement is full of intimate care. But don't let yourself be deceived: The beauty fogs the horrible suffering for Jesus to come which the lyrics refer to. What does this extreme contrasting tell us? Maybe: You will go through pain, but we already see the light behind it and at the end, there will be eternal life and undestructable peace, which the last verse implies. Definitely a very interesting composition and reinforced by Libera's arrangement. 
Dominik, I am at your feet for your solo on this! Your gracile voice fits the song in the best way, it sounds soft and secure, and your pronunciation technique is really good. 
The song gives me the more goosebumps, the more it proceeds.

I Saw Three Ships
This is a fulminant piece of music, very well arranged by Sam Coates with a rousing rhythmic structure. I was lucky enough to experience it live twice and it's just so full of energy, already at the beginning, but still growing along the song until its end. While its effect can definitely be felt better in the live situation. Yet, I'm glad that now a recording exists.

Walking in the Air
Solo: Luca Brugnoli

How can I express how happy I am about Robert's decision to equip this song, which is very dear to me, with a new arrangement and give it new life. I had worked myself through many interpretations, but either the soloist sounds too childish or the tempo is too slow or ... or ... This one is the solution now in every regard I had longed for.
The intro features an echo effect by layering choir voices, building up tension, before Luca's brightly shining voice enters. Luca ... I don't have words enough to praise his outstanding voice, his splendid technique! This is a gem of a solo! He is an absolutely amazing singer, and his voice is already that of a much older boy, where others are at their peak. Here, he is 9! His voice, containing a very nice slight vibrato, sounds so natural, flows so self-evidently and is so homogeneous that it makes the listener (wrongly) believe that there's nothing easier in the world than singing. Precious!
The arrangement has the choir sound really angelic, quite appropriate for a song close to Christmas time. The well-known instrumental interludes are now performed by the choir. Their wave-like sound reminds me of the sea and only now that they're vocal, I've got aware of that!   
The intensifying effect happens through the choral voices. They play an essential role and thus equal the solo. Often it's here the solo, there the tutti, but here they complement each other to such a degree that one is just not thinkable without the other.

Once in Royal David's City  
Solo: Victor Wiggin, Daniel White, Mathias Montoro

Victor starts off with the song alone, before Daniel and Mathias join him for a very charming trio. It's a relaxed arrangement and it's the simplicity which makes me profoundly enjoy the song. A moment of rest, that's this song - until towards the end the "Libera blossom" breaks through, finishing the song with soaring harmonies. 

Carol of the Bells
Solo: Isaac London, Alex Montoro, Lucas Wood

We know this recording already from "Santa Will Find You" (2015) and "Libera at Christmas" (2016) with Isaac opening the song alone. As this song receives a review after every Christmas concert, only short now: Magnificent song; always, always mesmerizing me and listened to countless times. Nothing can keep me away from it any time of the year - I love Libera's interpretation!

O Little Town of Bethlehem  
Solo: Oliver Watt-Rodríguez

After the snippet I thought: One song has to rank at the lower end of the album and it will be this one. Yes, I still have no liking for the song, due to the harmonies in the verses' first part which will be responsible for skipping it, but Libera's arrangement rescues it in a way. In fact, I really like the prelude, and I'm glad to have Oliver's voice being recorded here. Although I find that he sounds even better live. Hopefully there will be another album with a main solo by Oliver once more and a song I like better.

Poor Little Jesus
Solo: Luca Brugnoli

A very elevating spiritual, sung a cappella, and radiating such calm through the masterful vocal score! Here again, we have that description of Jesus's predetermined way, but very differently set to music: It tells us more through the tune and the harmonies - I'm enthusiastic about the harmonies btw - and doesn't disguise it the way Sing Lullaby does. I particularly like how Libera take all time needed to thoughtfully convey the song's meaning. The entire song expresses an undeviating hope that in the end all will turn out well. Very moving.
We have got another crystal-clear solo by Luca here.

Noël Nouvelet
Solo: Victor Wiggin, Oliver Watt-Rodríguez, Neo Parson

It's this song which caught my interest the most, when the snippets were out. I'm very much inclined to this kind of music, mysterious as well as pretty in tune and harmonies, transferring me to long past times. I also like music being performed in their original languages, and so I'm happy about Victor's beginning in French.
Super-diverse arrangement with something new all the time. The many changes might even be too much for some listeners, but so far I like it, as it is just such a pleasant sound throughout. Very nice trio by Victor, Oliver and Neo, the use of bells, one of my favourite percussion instruments, the variety in harmonies - there are plenty of parts in the song that call my attention. One very personal thing: I'd have preferred them to take the tempo a few bpm more slowly. That would have underlined the song's elegance even better. Anyway, it does evoke the idea of a courtly dance. 
The song will be a frequent listen here and I'm looking forward to hearing it live in a Christmas concert!

Silent Night
Solo: Luca Brugnoli, Benedict Bywater, Dominik Clarke, Mathias Montoro, Victor Wiggin  

This is likely to be the most famous Christmas song of the world with all kinds of interpretations; over here frequently sung at the end of Christmas services with the electric light extinguished and singing by candlelight only. Robert's a cappella arrangement of this totally peaceful song is just stunning, performed by just five boys, which feels like a reduction to the essential in life and furthermore emphasises the extraordinary beauty of the song's melody. The boys are simply amazing here! Another jewel on this album.

What Child is This
Solo: Daniel White, Benedict Bywater

Usually I prefer "Greensleeves", but, oh Libera, what do you do all the time? Taken again! What a very charming arrangement this is, it leans strongly on the Armagh arrangement, but differs in some aspects like the small, but refined new choral and instrumental transitions to the second verse and later to the flute interlude before the third verse. A safe solo, then duet by Daniel and Benedicts starts the song. The music increases in movement according to the lyrics: I can literally picture the three kings to first wonder carefully, almost whispering to not disturb, then get aware, in awe, of the hope and happiness just brought to the world, after this unpack their gifts and jubilate, and finally withdraw to let the child get back to rest.

Wexford Carol
Solo: Tadhg Fitzgerald

There exist pieces of music which simply feel like caressing and this song belongs to them. No wonder that it's my favourite Christmas song since I met it through Libera. 
The arrangement has remained almost the same as in the earlier versions, while I do miss the mystic flute prelude of Armagh which prepares me so well for the song's meditative character, supported by the swaying harmonies. The whole Libera interpretation unfailingly places me into a mood of calm contentment. I once wrote that Wexford Carol is a synonym for "atmosphere" and yes, this just is it, this will never change. The Gaelic language attracts me in particular, and although I have long hopelessly fallen for Isaac's interpretation of this song and the successor is forced to step into big shoes, Tadhg has delivered a fine solo here.
Oh dear, I have really troubles to break away from this song now to proceed with the review.

Gaudete
Sam Collins

And here we have the recorded solo by Sam I've been waiting for! His voice is clear and shining, I'm very pleased. I like it that the instrumental accompaniment during his part was shifted more to the foreground in this recording, which gives it more attention and for me has almost a character of a partnership between solo voice and instruments. The arrangement is very much the same as earlier, while there have always been some minor modifications and this time that strongly syncopated part was prolonged. Again, I love the deep voices in this song.

The album is a highly well-balanced mix of songs once again with very creative arrangements, and so there can be no doubt that there wil be something to greatly enjoy for everyone. Its overall sound is resplendent, very pleasant to listen to. The title is somewhat boring though; I'd have liked the suggestion of one of the boys interviewed in Garden Grove: "Christmas around the World", as there are songs from America, Austria, England, France, Germany, Ireland, Spain, Ukraine, possibly Finland/Sweden (Gaudete).

This time, a special shoutout goes to Sam Coates: I am very happy with his arrangements on this CD! They show another dimensions, compared to his previous ones, which were all so flourishing, but now there appears more than ever his capability of fully serving a song's inner meaning. 

Congratulation to Libera and all others involved on this album! Libera has remained entirely true to themselves, and that makes me more than glad. :D
Last edited by filiarheni on Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Excellent review, filiarheni! Your use of language always brings a poetic quality to your reviews. I see that we agree on some songs and not others. Yet irrespective of our particular preferences the album as a whole is excellent with many fine songs for all types of listeners and preferences.
ludwig1874
Silver Member

Post by ludwig1874 »

If you are going to Tower records shibuya and buying for 3300 Yen the New CD, then you have to go with the receipt to the counter in the groundfloor. And then you get... a Christmas present Fro
15715825309881512062451.jpg
15715825309881512062451.jpg (2.35 MiB) Viewed 11937 times
15715825309881512062451.jpg
15715825309881512062451.jpg (2.35 MiB) Viewed 11937 times
1571582574544-1234985131.jpg
1571582574544-1234985131.jpg (1.53 MiB) Viewed 11937 times
1571582574544-1234985131.jpg
1571582574544-1234985131.jpg (1.53 MiB) Viewed 11937 times
libera, not for sale, and only if you buy the CD peronally in Japan (sorry, amazon buyers...). Look! I am really happy!!!
Attachments
1571582554508-2030894383.jpg
1571582554508-2030894383.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 11937 times
1571582554508-2030894383.jpg
1571582554508-2030894383.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 11937 times
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:23 pm">4 years ago</span> Excellent review, filiarheni! Your use of language always brings a poetic quality to your reviews. I see that we agree on some songs and not others. Yet irrespective of our particular preferences the album as a whole is excellent with many fine songs for all types of listeners and preferences.
Thank you, Surpinto, and thank you for your review as well. I find poetry in your reviews here and there, too. :wink: :)
Yes, correct, this album will appeal to a broad audience because of its musical variety, and anyway it's always interesting to hear the opinion of others, for me very often resulting in my attention drawn to new aspects of a song. :D
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

So the physical CD is available also? I thought that only the digital downloads were available?
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:22 am">4 years ago</span> So the physical CD is available also? I thought that only the digital downloads were available?
Only the Japanese version has been released as a physical CD or download. Regardless of format, you can only get the music from Japan at this time. The international version (CD or download) is unavailable until November 15.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

So Libera actually performed Sam Coates's very challenging arrangement of Ding Dong Merrily on High today in Japan! I'd like to state my admiration for them here once more, as I had suspected that this piece would remain a recording. Mastering it live has certainly brought everyone of them a big step forward in their personal musical development, apart from the fun that they no doubt had and brought.

I wouldn't like them to do this kind of song too often, but after my previous skepticism, not to call it disagreement, I'm fine with this one. :)

I also admire how the boys are able to pack all of that into a tight time plan: rehearse for the concerts, rehearse for the album, the concerts/tours, the recordings, plus their church duties including further rehearsing and all of that on a super-high level. :wink: Wow!

Um … and after that, what could now still prevent them from performing Benedictus Deus?! 8) :wink: