New CD "Christmas with LIBERA" in 2019

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

filiarheni
Gold Member

Re: New Christmas CD in 2019

Post by filiarheni »

Thank you very much for posting the list, Surpinto! Although I do miss the joy of guessing, puzzling, speculating and so regret that Libera Records releases it all, of course I devoured the set list now. :mrgreen: And what a superb one it is, really!

First of all: How happy I am to have Dominik soloing on In the Bleak Mid-Winter! I had no doubt he would be the one, but a rest of uncertainty of course always remains. So we can rely on that now. Very fine!

Then oh - I'm totally surprised and so glad about a new recording of Walking in the Air and I'm absolutely electrified about Luca singing the solo! He will be splendid!

I'm also very happy to get Oliver WR's and Sam's voice now banned on CD.

Very interesting is the trio of soloists on Noël nouvelet and here again: so glad to have Neo with them. I wonder if this is a real trio or if they alternate in soloing.

It's also superb to get Tadhg on Wexford Carol.

Ok, I'd better stop now, as all is fine and otherwise I could just copy the entire list. :lol: I'm jubilating here and hardly can wait any longer! :D :D :D
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

This is the cover:

Christmas with Libera 500.JPG
Christmas with Libera 500.JPG (173.33 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
Christmas with Libera 500.JPG
Christmas with Libera 500.JPG (173.33 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

I really dislike the cover :mrgreen:

But glad to see some tracks and soloists ! Just a bit sad that Oliver Mycka has no solo and I think there might be little time to record his voice. I would have hope for a Cassius solo too, but he still is young. Like you pointed out, though, a lot of new voices will be recorded, Samuel-F, Oliver W-R, Dominik, Neo, Luca, Mathias (yes !), Tadhg...

The What Child is This duet looks very alike the Isaac/Jude's from the last Christmas CD.
Also, do you think the Silent Night may be an a cappella song ? The list of soloists makes me think of the arrangement we heard.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:29 pm">4 years ago</span> I would have hope for a Cassius solo too, but he still is young.
I guess it was too early for him when they recorded the album and I hope for next time (next year ...?).

Padmachou wrote: <span title="Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:29 pm">4 years ago</span> Also, do you think the Silent Night may be an a cappella song ? The list of soloists makes me think of the arrangement we heard.
I was thinking about that just like you. There are many soloists, but I'm irritated, because the live version last year had 6 soloists and here only 5 are listed. While it could also be a mistake by Libera Records to simply have missed one name.
Exciting!
Last edited by filiarheni on Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Re: New CD "Christmas with LIBERA" in 2019

Post by fan_de_LoK »

When ordered from some Japanese shops or websites, the CD will come with a gift, a "Libera Christmas Card”.

This is very usual in Japan, to help boost the sales.
In 2017, the 'Hope' CD had posters as gifts, and in 2018 the 'Beyond' CD had mini-diaries.

The gift is on a first-come-first-served basis,, it may not be available when ordered online, and it may not be sent when the delivery address is abroad Japan. It depends of the seller. If you wish to have the Japanese version of the CD with the Christmas card gift, be sure to chose a site that clearly indicates the context of that gift.

There are 5 different Christmas cards (visuals are now known yet).
  1. Tower Records
  2. HMV
  3. Tsutaya Records
  4. Yamano Music
  5. Many other stores/sites, including Amazon Japan, Rakuten, Neowing or SonyMusicShop.

As example, on Amazon Japan there are two entries for the CD,
this one for the regular version without the gift,
and this one with the christmas card gift.

The Christmas cards will be quickly visible online when the first buyers will put their hands on the CD, on October 16th :)
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Padmachou wrote:I really dislike the cover :mrgreen:
I don't really agree with you here, but can keep hope for the Western edition to have a different art cover, as it was the case for Hope and Beyond :)

I appreciate that Japanese cover.
I feel it represents well the Christmas theme and it is more personal than the Japanese Beyond cover from last year :wink:
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

I am thrilled and very excited, going over all those soloists... Oh, we are spoiled, just like it should be at Christmas :wink:

I expect Silent Night to be the version we heard in Brighton but curious how that would work with just five soloists.

Also wondering if Do You Hear will feature the small solo bits at the beginning like we heard in Brighton (fingers crossed).

The cover... I like the boys' relaxed gazing pose and the colours :)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Well, I'm looking forward to this. I noticed that Sam Coates is responsible for arranging five of the tracks this time. I've quite enjoyed his arrangements so far, but I want to see if he can avoid sounding redundant with a greater number of arrangements. I wasn't sure if Luca would have a 'big' solo on his first CD, but indeed he will with "Walking in the Air". I wonder if they will perform it live sometime this year? I have no problem with the CD cover. The boys' facial expressions look genuine and I think it's appropriate for its intended audience. Personally, I like Christmas covers that are more religious, but Christians only comprise a very small percentage of the Japanese, so I think the cover is fine.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:18 pm">4 years ago</span> I noticed that Sam Coates is responsible for arranging five of the tracks this time. I've quite enjoyed his arrangements so far, but I want to see if he can avoid sounding redundant with a greater number of arrangements.
I have been thinking about this, too, here and there.

It has just come to my mind that Cassius might sing the final small solo in Carol of the Bells without being mentioned, as it is so short that it's not even recognised as a solo. It's not as much as we'd like to hear of him of course, but at least he wouldn't be completely missing here and he was the one who sang it in last year's Christmas concerts.
bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Since there are many good covers of "Walking in the Air", I'm hoping Luca's version can stand out with his own distinctive voice and interpretation. I can guarantee you one thing, he won't be rolling his r's as much as Peter Auty in the original version.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:19 am">4 years ago</span> Since there are many good covers of "Walking in the Air", I'm hoping Luca's version can stand out with his own distinctive voice and interpretation. I can guarantee you one thing, he won't be rolling his r's as much as Peter Auty in the original version.
That's a good point. This song sung by a treble is very well known and that makes me wonder in what way the Libera version would distinguish itself; if at all.
LuxVenit
Silver Member

Post by LuxVenit »

I absolutely can't wait for this album, as I love Christmas music and LOVE Libera Christmas music!

One quick question - the three bonus tracks on the Japanese version...do you think they will be the ones that have already been released or will they be new recordings? Since Isaac is listed as the soloist on "Angel" I'm guessing that one won't, and the others are still pretty new anyway, but what do you think? Sorry if this is a dumb question; I've kinda lost track of the Libera world lately.
“My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary.” ― Martin Luther
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

I would say it’s 99.9% they are old recordings and it’s just filler to make the album look longer.
LuxVenit
Silver Member

Post by LuxVenit »

That's what I was thinking. Just figured I'd see what others thought as well. Thanks!
“My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary.” ― Martin Luther
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

There is no picture, but tiny and hidden there is a date for the international "Chrismas Carols With Libera" album!

15th November, pretty late after the Japanese version. Now Libera, you can continue with the Christmas concert announcement! :mrgreen: