2019 US Summer Tour

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: 2019 US Summer Tour

Post by Surpinto »

Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:18 pm">4 years ago</span> Do you know where we can go to listen to the interviews at Christ Cathedral?
As per my reply to you a few days ago :wink: the interview will be up on the "Music from the Tower" website. :D

http://christcathedralmusic.org/music-f ... io-program

It appears that they upload the radio program a few weeks to a month after it is recorded; so we will have to wait a little longer.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:18 pm">4 years ago</span> Where are the reviews for the California concerts?
Not a review, just a short appreciation.

For the record then, the California concerts were excellent. As is often the case, confidence and performance improves as a tour progresses, so in many ways they were the best.

When a boy’s treble voice reaches its peak it is a sure sign that it will soon be lost forever. Sadly, but inevitably, I fear this will be the case with Oliver M, Dominic and Tadhg whose voices now have that wonderful richness which surely cannot last much longer. Recording is imperative.

I hope we might have several more years to enjoy the remarkable talents of Daniel, Victor, Matthias, Neo, Samuel and Oliver W-R who have so easily stepped into the shoes of former brilliant soloists.

And then there’s Luca. Wow, what a voice. Comparisons with TDL were abundant but I feel that he is destined to be recognized for his own unique talent.

I don’t like to pick favourites, but has there ever been a more heart-melting voice than that of Cassius in "Amazing Grace"?

Of course, it would not be Libera without the participation of the harmonisers who work just as hard to produce the unique Libera sound.

Thanks to all.
katyafan
Silver Member

Post by katyafan »

I'm on vacation, but I will post review of both California concerts as soon as I am back next week!

They were amazing, and the Christ Cathedral one was the best one I have seen (it was my 7th concert).

Several awards to "give out," but as a teaser, the award for "most evil" goes to the top stair, for nearly taking Dominic out! Thankfully Daniel was there to catch him if needed...
justin

Post by justin »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:39 pm">4 years ago</span>
Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:18 pm">4 years ago</span> Do you know where we can go to listen to the interviews at Christ Cathedral?
As per my reply to you a few days ago :wink: the interview will be up on the "Music from the Tower" website. :D

http://christcathedralmusic.org/music-f ... io-program

It appears that they upload the radio program a few weeks to a month after it is recorded; so we will have to wait a little longer.
The recording should be up by September 7 according to the website.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Thank you, John45 for your impressions. I agree with you about the choir in general and the soloists too. Their first concert on the tour, which was the only one I was able to attend, was well done but the fact that they improved so markedly is amazing.
katyafan wrote: <span title="Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:01 am">4 years ago</span> I'm on vacation, but I will post review of both California concerts as soon as I am back next week!

They were amazing, and the Christ Cathedral one was the best one I have seen (it was my 7th concert).
Looking very much forward to reading it.
katyafan wrote: <span title="Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:01 am">4 years ago</span> Several awards to "give out," but as a teaser, the award for "most evil" goes to the top stair, for nearly taking Dominic out! Thankfully Daniel was there to catch him if needed...
Oh no! :lol:
hiskeys
Silver Member

Post by hiskeys »

Not sure if this video link will work, since it's within Facebook. Libera sang along with a song during morning worship at Westlake Community. It was 10,000 Reasons by Matt Redman, who happens to hail from England also - perhaps some of them were already familiar with the song. I assume that Robert (or maybe Sam) did the arrangement, which might have even been sent to Westlake ahead of time.

They've done this type of thing once or twice before, once with How Great Thou Art, I believe, in 2018.

This was a nice arrangement and worked out very well I thought. It once again highlights Libera's versatility, going from a plainchant type song in a huge cathedral just days before, to something quite different.

hiskeys
Silver Member

Post by hiskeys »

Let's try this link - I believe it starts from the beginning. (The one above, I copied the link when I was paused part way into the video.)

At the beginning, the singer mentions that Libera doesn't do this type of thing very often, so they were in for a treat.

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Nice video. I can tell that's it's the one that I recorded from the webcast because I was unable to take the mouse cursor arrow out of the video because I was having trouble with the recording interface. You're welcome, everyone. :lol:

Unfortunately, some of the people I shared that video with in private clearly didn't understand the concept of "share with whoever you want, just not publicly". At this point it is too late as that video has clearly made its rounds and is now being shared publicly by people to whom I never sent it. I'm not angry....just disappointed. And the fact that I uploaded it to YouTube unlisted must also not have registered the need for some greater level of discretion. :roll: If you DLed it from my private YouTube link (now deleted) you only have the 360p version which is exactly what people have shared (for some reason some unlisted links can't be downloaded in full quality for some buggy reason). The full version is in 1080p.

It came to my attention last year that Libera, and Robert in particular, typically do not like these sorts of videos being out there. This is why one of the webcasts of a church service in California last year in which Libera participated had the video stream disabled during Libera's song! :shock:

Maybe it doesn't matter and I'm just being overly cautious, but I strive to respect Libera's wishes in that regard. I guess I'll know better for next time about sharing too liberally with fellow fans. :(

But I suppose since the video is already out there and viewed by hundreds and hundreds of people, and was broadcast publicly at the time, I'll upload the full 1080p version for everyone. Enjoy in 1080p.

hiskeys
Silver Member

Post by hiskeys »

Sorry Surpinto, I had no idea, and certainly would not have gone against anyone's wishes. The multiple camera angles made me think it was intended (eventually) for distribution. And just so you know, I didn't post it anywhere else except for here, thinking this was more of a private forum.

I suppose if I would have thought about it a bit more, I would have just waited, and if Libera wanted it out there, they would have posted it.

I'm sorry that your instructions weren't respected; hopefully no harm done, and thanks for your helpful insight.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

hiskeys wrote: <span title="Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:37 pm">4 years ago</span> Sorry Surpinto, I had no idea, and certainly would not have gone against anyone's wishes. The multiple camera angles made me think it was intended (eventually) for distribution. And just so you know, I didn't post it anywhere else except for here, thinking this was more of a private forum.

I suppose if I would have thought about it a bit more, I would have just waited, and if Libera wanted it out there, they would have posted it.

I'm sorry that your instructions weren't respected; hopefully no harm done, and thanks for your helpful insight.
It's not your fault in any way! :D You aren't the one who reuploaded it to Facebook. In fact you just wanted to share a video with fellow fans that you came across; and I would have done the same. All is fine. :D
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

The interview is now available. I wanted to cross reference it here for organizational reasons.
hiskeys
Silver Member

Post by hiskeys »

Posted today by Libera of the US, from their lodging outside Minneapolis. Cards seem to be a popular option for Libera spare time. I've seen chess and other board games as well.

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Last edited by Surpinto on Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

The part 1 of the USA 2019 blog is now online :)

https://libera.org.uk/blog/usa-2019-part-1
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Good blog.

Funny highlights about bugs feasting on their blood and commentary about Eimear liking elephants. :lol: :lol: :lol: