A New Way To Donate To Libera For Those In The USA

What goes on in the World of Libera

Moderator: Moderators

feinstei

A New Way To Donate To Libera For Those In The USA

Post by feinstei »

Libera US now has the ability to accept donation of stock shares. This is a tremendous way to give to Libera to support their North American tours etc and to save ALL capital gains taxes.

Please contact Libera US to initiate a donation:
enquiries@libera.org

You will be able to take advantage of a HUGE charitable tax deduction and you will help to ensure Libera's return to North America. It costs them a fortune to tour and gate receipts unfortunately do not cover even a fraction of the costs of bringing the group, chaperones, and musicians etc to our shores. Please consider joining me in supporting the group by donating stock to Libera US.

Thanks,

Fred Einstein DVM

(Please note that I am not in any way, shape, or form associated with Libera US... I am simply a donor who supports this worthy organization).
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: A New Way To Donate To Libera For Those In The USA

Post by Surpinto »

Thank you for the information. I do not own any stock outside of some investments in a retirement account, but hopefully others may take advantage of this. Thank you for informing us of this option.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Capital gains contributions are limited to 20% of your gross income for each organization receiving a donation. If the capital gains property is classified as short term you can't declare the appreciation (gain in value) as part of the donation in your tax calculations. Remember that charitable contributions do not yield a tax deduction until your total itemized deductions exceed your standard deduction and that tax laws this year will be different from last year.
feinstei

Post by feinstei »

Libera US is a 50% charity. However, there is an IRS rule that contributions of "capital gain property" is limited to 30% of one's gross income rather than 50%. Since stock is most usually considered a "capital gain property", the 30% limit will probably apply. However, IRS rules allow one to "carry forward" the excess to future years.

In summary.... it's better to donate the stock directly to Libera US than to sell the stock (and therefore be forced to pay the capital gains tax on the stock) and donate the money. That's really all I wanted to point out.....

Before making a major donation, it is best to consult with your CPA to understand how much you'll benefit via tax deductions for 2018...
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Or, if you lack stock and shares, you could always raid your piggy-bank. It all helps.
Noob

Post by Noob »

john45 wrote: <span title="Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:20 am">5 years ago</span> Or, if you lack stock and shares, you could always raid your piggy-bank. It all helps.
one could!! :lol:
those boys are worth it.
There is nothing quite like a sweet treble voice.