Hidden (?) talent

Current and former Members of Libera

Moderator: Moderators

hiskeys
Silver Member

Hidden (?) talent

Post by hiskeys »

(Wasn't quite sure where to put this)

This just posted - 4 of the boys taking advantage of an available piano.

Looks like Dominik is off to a early start.

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: Hidden (?) talent

Post by Surpinto »

How often we (okay, me :lol:) forget that a number of the choir members play various instruments or attend music schools! From what I remember reading I believe that over the many years of Libera a fair number of boys have been awarded seats and even musical scholarships to esteemed secondary schools and universities, have won various musical awards at festivals and the like, and have even been recorded for some fairly prestigious things outside of Libera.

Amazing.
Padmachou
Silver Member

Post by Padmachou »

Wow I had no idea about Alessandro singing for Danny Elfman ! Thanks for the link. I recall Thomas DL sang in some opera, too.
I know for a fact that Merlin is very talented with a cello. How talented can these boys be ? They really are no ordinary kids when it comes to musical aptitudes. Wonderful moments they catched here with the piano :D
Egorbea2018

Post by Egorbea2018 »

hiskeys wrote: <span title="Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:35 am">5 years ago</span> (Wasn't quite sure where to put this)

This just posted - 4 of the boys taking advantage of an available piano.

Looks like Dominik is off to a early start.

Awesome video! Notice, they were playing these songs from memory. The songs sound quite difficult. But who are we kidding? These are Libera boys, of course they can play difficult pieces of classical music from memory. Their talent knows no bounds. I don't think it is a hidden talent. If you have seen them in concert you know they are extremely talented. Mr. Prizeman has a vision when he picks them and so far, all his choices have been outstanding.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

I love this video, have watched it over and over and I love the relaxed, cheerful atmosphere in the room.

I think that a child who loves singing and is musical is very likely to wish to play a musical instrument in addition to the singing. And exactly for a chorister, playing an instrument comes with a particularly useful aspect, apart from the joy of playing: It grants them a continuity that is impossible with singing, due to the voice change which is definite at some unknown time. I believe that many boys, even if unconsciously, value this as something stable and secure in their life, where music plays such an important role.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:03 pm">5 years ago</span> It grants them a continuity that is impossible with singing, due to the voice change which is definite at some unknown time. I believe that many boys, even if unconsciously, value this as something stable and secure in their life, where music plays such an important role.
What I nice thought. I wish I had perservered with piano lessons way back when.
Egorbea2018

Post by Egorbea2018 »

Do any of you know the names of the songs they are playing?
theforestdweller
Silver Member

Post by theforestdweller »

Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:14 am">5 years ago</span> Do any of you know the names of the songs they are playing?
I'm fairly sure the first one is Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody :?:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe" - Einstein
chris17

Post by chris17 »

Egorbea2018 wrote: <span title="Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:14 am">5 years ago</span> Do any of you know the names of the songs they are playing?
The last one is the 2nd movement of Beethoven's Sonata Pathetique
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

Alex G.: "Up on the Hill" by Nikki Iles

Dominik's second piece: "Tugela Rail" by Dave Brubeck
(I took both infos from a Youtube comment.)

From the piece before the above I'm pretty sure that Dominik is capable of improvising (even if he doesn't do so here). Chapeau!

The way he plays the piano is really convincing over all his pieces. He always seems to form a unity with the music, no matter if singing or playing.
I also enjoy the bit very much where he and Rocco complement each other by not playing 4-, but 2-handed. It's unnecessary, as one person could play it alone, but they do it together. :)

Alex G.'s play is very sensitive. And he looks so funny sitting there with his backpack behind and the camera in front. :lol:
Last edited by filiarheni on Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
justin

Post by justin »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:16 am">5 years ago</span>
Alex G.: "Up on the Hill" by Nikki Iles

From the piece before, I'm pretty sure that Dominik is capable of improvising (even if he doesn't do so here). Chapeau!

The way he plays the piano is really convincing over all his pieces. He always seems to form a unity with the music, no matter if singing or playing.
I also enjoy the bit very much where he and Rocco complement each other by not playing 4-, but 2-handed. It's unnecessary, as one person could play it alone, but they do it together. :)

Alex G.'s play is very sensitive. And he looks so funny sitting there with his backpack behind and the camera in front. :lol:
Thanks Sabine for that info. No wonder I thought the songs sounded quite familiar.... It just so happens that Tugela Rail is this year's ABRSM Grade 6 exam piece, whereas Up on the Hill is last year's Grade 5 piece. I recall from a random conversation way back that Dominik is already reaching Grade 5/6, and he also plays other instruments (can't recall which other instrument though). Rocco's solo song is also quite familiar, but i just cant place my finger on the name............
Egorbea2018

Post by Egorbea2018 »

chris17 wrote: <span title="Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:11 am">5 years ago</span>
The last one is the 2nd movement of Beethoven's Sonata Pathetique
Thanks for the info. I looked up that song in YouTube. I think that Dominik has a passion and intensity when he plays that makes it more beautiful than the adult professionals I found. Maybe he sings with the same intensity. I hope they get him on film or cd.

Egorbea2018

Post by Egorbea2018 »

[Alex G.: "Up on the Hill" by Nikki Iles

I think Dominik is extraordinary in his piano playing. One of you mentioned he is in grade 5/6? Is he that old or is he advanced in music? He looks no older than 10 years old.

From the piece before, I'm pretty sure that Dominik is capable of improvising (even if he doesn't do so here). Chapeau!

It is probably more fun doing it together. The boys seem to enjoy each other's company.

[/quote]
Just like when he sings, Alex Gula puts his feelings in the song.

Thanks Sabine for that info. Rocco's solo song is also quite familiar, but i just cant place my finger on the name............
[/quote]

Rocco is great. And Tadgh is the only one smiling while he is playing. He is having fun. The others are so serious. Thank you all for finding the songs.