introduce yourselves

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: introduce yourselves

Post by Yorkie »

maartendas wrote: <span title="Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:04 pm">5 years ago</span> Just a shout-out to everyone on the Forum from me, for being so happy that the fan community exists :D
I find myself having regular conversations that go something like this:
"Yeah, so I've been to LA this summer..."
"Really? Wow! What did you do there?"
"Well, I went to see two concerts by my favourite boys choir from the UK..."
and then I find myself trying to explain why I would travel such a long distance to hear a group of boys sing.
But with you guys, I don't need to explain anything :D
It's nice to be crazy among the crazies :wink: 8)
...and did I detect from Twitter a trip to Japan this Autumn as well?
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Not sure where you found that, but yes :wink:
(maybe it was my question here on the Forum about the ticket sales which gave it away)
Still in shock about the fact that I am actually planning to go there. It will be my first time going to Japan.
I have tickets for both Tokyo concerts and will stay there five nights. My goal is to see Libera and mount Fuji :)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

maartendas wrote: <span title="Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:43 pm">5 years ago</span> Not sure where you found that, but yes :wink:
(maybe it was my question here on the Forum about the ticket sales which gave it away)
Still in shock about the fact that I am actually planning to go there. It will be my first time going to Japan.
I have tickets for both Tokyo concerts and will stay there five nights. My goal is to see Libera and mount Fuji :)
Congratulations on making such a cool travel decision. I'm certain it will be well worth it and we will be happy to hear all about it afterwards.
kinda_k00l
Silver Member

Post by kinda_k00l »

maartendas wrote: <span title="Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:04 pm">5 years ago</span> It's nice to be crazy among the crazies
Oh dear this is exactly what has been wandered in my mind since I discovered this fan forum (and get to know other Libera fans) - my dad also told me that I'm a crazy among the crazies (in a good way of course) 8)
And congratulations on such a big decision. It's still too early but I'm waiting for your concert review. :P
TrebleVoices

Post by TrebleVoices »

As Surpinto has encouraged me to do so :), here is a quick intro. I have been listening to Libera on and off since the early 2000's but it is only really in the last 5 years or so that my interest in Libera and choral singing in general has grown. Before then my first love, music wise, was classical. Although I have broad tastes that at times includes such things as death metal. My top concert moment of last year was a performance of Dvorak's 9th. My first Libera concert was Guildford in 2015 and I have been to another seven since then, the most recent at Brighton. I am, of course, a fan of Libera, but I wouldn't consider myself a superfan, yet, although they continue to grow on me. I feature in a photobook and calendar from Libera, due to sitting front row for a concert. :D My favourite Libera song currently is I Saw Three Ships, a superb arrangement of a song I already liked from other choirs. Oh and occasionally I like to pretend I can sketch.
IMAG0334.jpg
IMAG0334.jpg (75.08 KiB) Viewed 3988 times
IMAG0334.jpg
IMAG0334.jpg (75.08 KiB) Viewed 3988 times
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

TrebleVoices wrote: <span title="Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:24 pm">5 years ago</span> As Surpinto has encouraged me to do so :), here is a quick intro. I have been listening to Libera on and off since the early 2000's but it is only really in the last 5 years or so that my interest in Libera and choral singing in general has grown...
Hello and welcome to the forum TrebleVoices. Where have you been hiding till now? So you have known Libera since early 2000's and they have been growing slowly on you all the time? Interesting, as many other fans and myself too, got captured immediately by their music - as far as I know. I look forward to reading your contributions to the forum.

TrebleVoices wrote: <span title="Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:24 pm">5 years ago</span> Oh and occasionally I like to pretend I can sketch.
Really? Pretend? Good, that you pretend only occasionally and all other time you draw really well. :lol: :lol: :lol:
A very nice picture, indeed. Do you have any more? Well, yes you do. I saw another one on Twitter. :D

And yes, the Brighton concert was outstanding and "I Saw Three Ships" is among my favourite Libera songs too. :D
TrebleVoices

Post by TrebleVoices »

I didn't really give choral music much time then, there were other genres of music that took priority. As I started to listen to more choral music in general, Libera got more of a look-in. But I think the turning point for me was attending the first concert. :)

Thank you. :D I started with two of my favourites, Oliver and Romeo but it is my intention to do sketches of more of the Libera boys.

I had issues with the sound quality and sound balance in the Westminster 2017 concert and Ely 2018 concerts respectively. But Westminster 2018 was great, and Brighton was superb!
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Thanks for the introduction. As you mentioned in a different thread your experience attending choral concerts is quite extensive. It is even more mind-boggling to me that you managed to go to so many concerts in such short order.

Still, while Libera's music recordings are exquisite, their live performances are even more amazing than I had imagined. Like you I have been listening since the early 2000's but only managed to see them in 2014. To be honest, I was thinking they would only be so-so as they couldn't possibly be better than the recordings. Oh how wrong I was. While, there are flaws in any live performance compared to a carefully recorded and mastered studio album, the effect of their live shows is something that stays with you.

If you aren't a superfan yet then you soon will be. :wink:
TrebleVoices

Post by TrebleVoices »

Surpinto wrote: <span title="Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:21 am">5 years ago</span> It is even more mind-boggling to me that you managed to go to so many concerts in such short order.

If you aren't a superfan yet then you soon will be. :wink:
Well I guess I'm quite lucky with my location, I've been able to get home the same night by train from almost every Libera concert I've attended. Actually the same for my other concerts. I have travelled a bit for music in the past, but last year out of 46 concerts that I attended only 1 was abroad and only 3 were outside London. :)

So I won't consider myself a superfan until I follow Libera abroad. Which is certainly not beyond the realms of possibility. :D