New album is called Hope

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

bachmahlerfan

Re: New album is called Hope

Post by bachmahlerfan »

Well, since Three Ravens is sounding like a highlight of the album, I am trying to find more information about the composer, but I'm not having much luck. I did get a result from the UK Linkedin website that shows a John Haar who has composed music for film and tv, but I could only view that in the search result. His actual page shows that he runs a company called haar vapour company. Anyways, if any of you want to look into this further, be my guest.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

For the happy few that already received their preciousssss from Japan, do you had a post-card with the CD ?

The early buyers were supposed to have a post-card as bonus gift, as well as a coupon to be used for the Meet & Greet at the Tsutaya Shiboya shop in Tokyo, but I wonder if these gifts are sent abroad, or are removed during the shipment process... :|

So far I saw on Instagram three different post-cards, surely depending from the site that what used for the order.
- From liber.a_w : image
- From dearlibera : image

Do you had any of these ?
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Wed May 10, 2017 10:04 pm">7 years ago</span> Oooooh, Yorkie, John, dani and everyone who heard it already, you make me so fidgety or antsy or what do you say (I had to look this up in the dictionary) - I want the CD now!

I have waited for The Three Ravens so much from the very beginning, somehow I am attached to this song, and now that you all say it's brilliant, I feel like I just cannot wait any longer!!! So very much looking forward exactly to this song! :!:

And I'm terribly awaiting the other Robert-songs Stabat mater and Venite adoremus and I'm waiting like crazy for hearing Angele Dei again and ... and ... and ... I feel very lonely without the CD ...

:roll: :mrgreen: :!: :?: :?: :!: :roll: :wink: :roll: :( :) :D

... and nervous and excited and have I already mentioned how excited I am?

:?

Think of it this way you still have all the excitement of hearing it for the first time ahead of you :)
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Wed May 10, 2017 10:33 pm">7 years ago</span> Well, since Three Ravens is sounding like a highlight of the album, I am trying to find more information about the composer, but I'm not having much luck. I did get a result from the UK Linkedin website that shows a John Haar who has composed music for film and tv, but I could only view that in the search result. His actual page shows that he runs a company called haar vapour company. Anyways, if any of you want to look into this further, be my guest.
The composer's name is John Harle and he composed the music for the British TV series "A History Of Britain", part of which is also the song "The Three Ravens". We clarified this in the other "New CD" thread, here:
http://www.forum.libera-dreams.com/view ... =37&t=2439

This is John Harle's homepage:
http://www.johnharle.com/index.htm
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

dani wrote: <span title="Wed May 10, 2017 10:47 pm">7 years ago</span> Think of it this way you still have all the excitement of hearing it for the first time ahead of you :)
Thank you for consoling me, dani. I will cling to this! :)
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

fan_de_LoK wrote: <span title="Wed May 10, 2017 10:45 pm">7 years ago</span> For the happy few that already received their preciousssss from Japan, do you had a post-card with the CD ?
Do you had any of these ?
Two identical postcards - reproductions of the cover of the standard Japan cd. No yellow coupons.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Thanks John :)
I'll see what I will receive.

I take a look at the charts on Amazon Japan.
Currently there are not less than 3 Libera CDs in the top 20 charts "Hot New Releases in Classical Music"

The limited edition 'Hope' CD+DVD version is 2nd,
The regular 'Hope' CD is 7th,
And surprisingly the Western 'Hope' is also proposed as import in Japan, and it is significantly bought, it is in 18th position, despite being not yet released.

bachmahlerfan

Post by bachmahlerfan »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Wed May 10, 2017 10:56 pm">7 years ago</span>
bachmahlerfan wrote: <span title="Wed May 10, 2017 10:33 pm">7 years ago</span> Well, since Three Ravens is sounding like a highlight of the album, I am trying to find more information about the composer, but I'm not having much luck. I did get a result from the UK Linkedin website that shows a John Haar who has composed music for film and tv, but I could only view that in the search result. His actual page shows that he runs a company called haar vapour company. Anyways, if any of you want to look into this further, be my guest.
The composer's name is John Harle and he composed the music for the British TV series "A History Of Britain", part of which is also the song "The Three Ravens". We clarified this in the other "New CD" thread, here:
http://www.forum.libera-dreams.com/view ... =37&t=2439

This is John Harle's homepage:
http://www.johnharle.com/index.htm
Ok, thanks. For some reason, his last name was spelled wrong in the source I viewed. This may have been due to the translation from Japanese.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Has anyone received the CD with bonus DVD yet? Was the DVD indeed region free?
andmar
Silver Member

Post by andmar »

filiarheni wrote: <span title="Wed May 10, 2017 10:04 pm">7 years ago</span> Oooooh, Yorkie, John, dani and everyone who heard it already, you make me so fidgety or antsy or what do you say (I had to look this up in the dictionary) - I want the CD now!

I have waited for The Three Ravens so much from the very beginning, somehow I am attached to this song, and now that you all say it's brilliant, I feel like I just cannot wait any longer!!! So very much looking forward exactly to this song! :!:

And I'm terribly awaiting the other Robert-songs Stabat mater and Venite adoremus and I'm waiting like crazy for hearing Angele Dei again and ... and ... and ... I feel very lonely without the CD ...

:roll: :mrgreen: :!: :?: :?: :!: :roll: :wink: :roll: :( :) :D

... and nervous and excited and have I already mentioned how excited I am?

:?
Ooooooo... pretty much the same here. I can't wait to get my copy.....
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

TullyBascombe wrote: <span title="Thu May 11, 2017 4:07 am">7 years ago</span> Has anyone received the CD with bonus DVD yet? Was the DVD indeed region free?
The DVD is region free. All it contains is videos of "Smile" and "Salve Regina".
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

To all those waiting to hear 'Three Ravens' - this non-Libera version is very very similar, even down to the instrumentation for the introduction (where this one has a horn sound in the intro Libera use a boys voice).

If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

So, having had 24 hours with the new album (well most of it. I have the Japanese special edition which doesn't include Wayfaring Stranger. I'll need to wait for Libera to ship me the international version of the album to listen to that one) I thought I would give my impressions.

Salve Regina Seems to have split opinions on this one and I must admit I'm leaning towards the not so liking end of the spectrum. It is a rather slow burner and I can appreciate the comments about it being peaceful and relaxing but it just lacks a bit of sparkle for my taste. And I would have liked more Rocco rather than just the last few words. A competent start but not a wow start for me.

San Damiano Re-surfaced at concerts last year and has received a make over from the Angel Voices version. No solo part to this one sadly. I like it but it isn't a classic. The one thing I noticed about the electro backing track is a strange (to my ear out of place) beep beep bop sound effect in places.

Smile My heart sank a little when the song list was released and this was on it. Hands up, I was wrong :oops: Libera can take any song and breathe new life in to it. As I mentioned in my review from the Ely concert, the harmony between Gabe and Alessandro is perfect and is the essence of the Libera sound. Great vocals by Gabe and a thumbs up to Sam Coates for his arrangement.

Stabat Mater Oh yes! This is a nod back to the early days of Libera where they take a classical Choral tune and remake it with that Libera sound and harmony. Has Isaac sung better on any Libera song before? I'll put my neck out and say no - Stabat is the finest moment of a great Libera soloist. His verses are 'pull at the heart' plaintive and the chorus brings in the full group harmonies. The backing instrumentation is predominantly strings and they enhance the vocals. A true classic for me.

Dreaming of Home To hear this live is something very special and it is great to have a studio version. The verses are a group effort, it is the solo chorus that really blasts this one in to the air, requiring a strong and capable voice. TDL is a tough act to follow and Camden demonstrates that he can reach those dazzling high notes.

Angel A song we have grown familiar with and is very likeable with that Muramatsu/Prizeman blend. Vocals by Isaac, you've all heard it so nothing more to say other than it is a good song for them.

From A Distance Sam, what are you doing to us! Another warbly diva song. First Smile and then this? Do you hate us so much? Or so I thought when I first heard of its inclusion on the new CD. The first hearing was on the radio broadcast RP did before Ely and it didn't grab me. Sitting through the rehearsal I started to change my mind. Hearing it again in the concert and I was converted. The album version has Alex M on the vocal of course (Merlin I think it was at Ely) and his vocal is excellent, so glad that he got to sing on a CD. The lyrics are, of course, very much suited to the Libera message but how Sam could take the song and make it into a Libera classic is beyond me. True talent.

Angele Dei Début at St George's last year and was an instant hit. Many people's favourite at Ely. A tune that builds and then sinks back, builds and sinks back, with a stunning vocal by Alex M entwined with a great backing vocal from the group. The Amen finish is wonderful.

Benedictus Deus Nailed it. Perfect. Classic. You all know it from the Radio 2 broadcast and it is everything that makes me love this group. Fantastic vocals with TDL at his imperious best; a stirring tune. What more could we ask for? It will be one of my favourite Libera songs forever.

Three Ravens Completely unexpected, completely wonderful. This might challenge some fans as it so far removed from the 'Libera' sound, but what a sound. Gregor's vocals are just stunning (with great support from Alessandro & Alex M) I just can't stop playing this one. I posted a version above that is almost identical apart from not having those Libera vocals and we all know what a difference they make. In the video the high solo parts towards the end are a little 'heavy' as sung by the soprano, but on Libera's version that part is light and clear and just floats heavenwards. Truly another classic. If every other song on the album had been rubbish (and of course they aren't!), this alone would have made it worth it for me.

Hymn to Mary An Isaac song, and only an Isaac song as here are no other voices unless I'm mistaken. Liked it when I first heard it in concert and still like it now. Simple song, simple accompaniment but Isaac's execution is excellent.

Venite Adoremus A very dramatic start and a lovely recurring high vocal (by Merlin I assume). The first listen through I was slightly disappointed as I didn't feel that the whole song lived up to the start and it didn't resolve. However, with repeated listenings it has grown on me and I now very much like the simple chant repetition of the words with that oh so pretty vocal embellishment. Yes it's simple but it's effective.

Home The magic combination again - Muramatsu/Prizeman/Bradbury-Hickey. We all know it as it has been around for ages but it is definitely album quality for people not as dedicated as we are and who don't buy every MP3 and mini-CD release.

Jupiter A perfectly decent version of 'I vow to thee' and included because Libera always add previously released singles to their latest album just so that those people that only buy albums can own it. Nothing wrong with that. I do like the Taichi finish to this.

So, overall this is a very good album and is a welcome return to the studio for our favourite boy band. In my opinion there are three absolutely top drawer songs on here that will stand shoulder to shoulder with anything they have ever released - Stabat Mater, Benedictus Deus and Three Ravens. I think that is some accomplishment to be honest and shows that the whole team is still fresh and creative. Add to that Smile, From a distance, Angele Dei, Venite Adoremus and Home and you get more than half the album of real top quality songs (and I expect to add Wayfaring stranger to that list when I get the international version direct from Libera in a week or so). Of the other tracks all have a decent quality and I expect many people will put some in with my own choices of top quality songs.

All that remains is for me to congratulate all the boys, the team and the musicians for once again bringing me such enjoyment. My only gripe; please don't leave it so long until next time :lol:
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

What a fantastic and comprehensive review, Yorkie! :D I cannot wait until my own CD arrives and I too can listen to this music. Thank you.
gingerthedog1

Post by gingerthedog1 »

In Three Ravens, who sings the high parts towards the end? Is it Gregor?