London Concert - 2nd December 2016

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

theforestdweller
Silver Member

London Concert - 2nd December 2016

Post by theforestdweller »

Christmas concert announced on official Libera website. Tickets on sale "early in September" :)
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe" - Einstein
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Re: London Concert - 2nd December 2106

Post by fan_de_LoK »

It's great that Libera was able to do its announce more that 3 months ahead, everyone can now organizes himself to be able to attend :)

This will be the 6th Libera concert at a same venue, 2010, 11, 12, 13, 15 and now 16.
It's a lot but it's not the record, so far libera sung not less that 8 concerts at the Bunkamura Orchard Hall, in Tokyo.

For regulars attendees at St. George's concerts, note that the nearest tube station, 'Lambert North', is closed until February for works.
This doesn't change much, Waterloo station is quite close to the Cathedral.

Being in London and being announced that early, we may expect that a lot of fans will attend the concert.
The rush on the tickets at sales opening will be epic ! :lol:
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

What a nice early announcement for the concert. I hope to read about it great detail from any attendees who so kindly take the time to write long-form reviews making those of us so far away and unable to attend feel like we too were a part of the event! :D

The question remains as to whether they sell out and are able to make some money off of this one. I am very curious about such things particularly after their unprecedented direct requests for donations recently. In particular, will ticket prices go up? It may be right that it happens so that they can continue to be financially solvent. Perhaps I am judging based on my own experience, but a full concert with small orchestra, 20 to 30 singers, lighting, and sound-staging much more complex than a few microphones scattered around the stage, is usually close to double or more the ticket price than what Libera have traditionally charged.
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

Don't worry too much about the business end of things at St George's. They usually do well enough financially. Consider the biggest costs for their concerts, lodging and transportation, don't really come into play when they perform in London. In addition on the revenue side they draw in friends, relatives, teachers, ex-choristers, St. Philip parishoners etc.; people that wouldn't be able to attend when they are singing so far away from home.
I have only been to one of the St George concerts (so far) but it was quite well attended from what I recall.

Although there will likely be a heavy emphasis on Christmas songs, this show may clue us in as to whose role looks like it
will be expanding in 2017. I wish I could be there to see it.
TimS_TheToolman

Post by TimS_TheToolman »

fan_de_LoK wrote: For regulars attendees at St. George's concerts, note that the nearest tube station, 'Lambert North', is closed until February for works.
Thanks for the heads-up on that. Started looking at location of Cathedral in relation to available lodging. Never been to London, not sure at this point in time where a good location is for lodging. This will be another new experience for me. :)
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

TimS_TheToolman wrote:
fan_de_LoK wrote: For regulars attendees at St. George's concerts, note that the nearest tube station, 'Lambert North', is closed until February for works.
Thanks for the heads-up on that. Started looking at location of Cathedral in relation to available lodging. Never been to London, not sure at this point in time where a good location is for lodging. This will be another new experience for me. :)
Well, the first thing to say is that in comparison to USA, the hotel rooms in London are small and very expensive - you will be paying Ritz prices for Motel quality :lol: You will not get a bargain in London; if it's cheap there will be a reason...

How long are you coming for and do you have a budget? The general advice for a tourist to London is to stay at a hotel within the circle line (Yellow line) of the Tube Map. I'm staying near to St George's at the Travelodge London Central Waterloo (which is outside that yellow circle!) - a budget no frills chain the price of which would buy you a nice 4* hotel in much of the US!
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
TimS_TheToolman

Yorkie wrote:
TimS_TheToolman wrote:
Well, the first thing to say is that in comparison to USA, the hotel rooms in London are small and very expensive - you will be paying Ritz prices for Motel quality :lol: You will not get a bargain in London; if it's cheap there will be a reason...

How long are you coming for and do you have a budget? The general advice for a tourist to London is to stay at a hotel within the circle line (Yellow line) of the Tube Map. I'm staying near to St George's at the Travelodge London Central Waterloo (which is outside that yellow circle!) - a budget no frills chain the price of which would buy you a nice 4* hotel in much of the US!
I'm thinking of staying for 5 or 6 days. I haven't made up my mind on that yet, air fare is cheaper for mid-week flights. I haven't really looked at hotel pricing, just looking for a place near St. George's. I was looking at the Travel Lodge London Central Waterloo earlier today. The name caught my attention since Travel Lodge is a motel chain here. My budget is open for now until I can get a handle on all the costs, then I'll decide where to set a limit.

Still concerned about travel logistics once I get to London, a lot to read, Oyster Cards, Travel Cards, Bus, Tube, DLR, etc. Seems overwhelming. :? Thanks for the tube map and the advice. This country boy will take all the help he can get. :D
danny-bulgaria

Post by danny-bulgaria »

Do you guys know/think if they are going to announce the exact date when the tickets are going to be on sale? :D
Sjh

Post by Sjh »

Stayed at he Travel lodge Waterloo last year about £ 100 a night was handy for the concert a few minutes walk with 1\2 bars for preconcert and after drinks supper, but depending on when they put tickets on sale plans and a decent seat obtained may stay a few days longer in which case will look at something a bit farther out but easy bus train tube ride in.

Be flying in To Gatwick so plenty of choice just getting back after concert in time to get a bit of supper with out to much hassle looking at price can get travel lodge 30 min travel away for £50 a night adds up if staying for a few nights,
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

I tend to stay at b&b's when I go to London. Last Spring I found a great single room in a quiet area about 15 mins. walk from Tower Bridge for a really decent price (less than £50 a night), via Airbnb.

Also, I use the tube quite often but easily forget how nice a bus ride can be (in terms of the view). The Oyster system works fine for me although it is not very cheap - but that's London.
However, if you can, you should walk a lot in the city. It's the greatest city I know :) and walking gives you the most impressions.
Haven't tried riding a bike yet - maybe next time...

@Tim: The Oyster Card is the thing you'll need to get and that will get you onto all the public transport (Tube, bus, DLR...). Make sure you have enough cash on the card - you can put money on it on all tube stations - and you're good to go! Check in when you enter and check out when you leave. Except on the bus - you don't need to check out on the bus.
Good to know:
Tube = underground or subway
DLR - overground train (similar to underground but above ground :))
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

TimS_TheToolman wrote:
Yorkie wrote:
TimS_TheToolman wrote: I'm thinking of staying for 5 or 6 days. I haven't made up my mind on that yet, air fare is cheaper for mid-week flights. I haven't really looked at hotel pricing, just looking for a place near St. George's. I was looking at the Travel Lodge London Central Waterloo earlier today. The name caught my attention since Travel Lodge is a motel chain here. My budget is open for now until I can get a handle on all the costs, then I'll decide where to set a limit.

Still concerned about travel logistics once I get to London, a lot to read, Oyster Cards, Travel Cards, Bus, Tube, DLR, etc. Seems overwhelming. :? Thanks for the tube map and the advice. This country boy will take all the help he can get. :D
Agree with Maarten that you need to get the oyster card (more details on the Transport for London Website)

If you fly into Heathrow the cheapest way into to town is via the Tube - buy your Oyster card at the airport station and hop into town. If you land at Gatwick then you can catch the overground train from the airport in to London (Don't bother with Gatwick Express train which is a premium price for the exact same journey (unless you are rich in which case don't let me stop you))

Mercy & Love
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Contactless payment cards (with a Wi-Fi symbol) can now also be used on all London public transport but a non-UK card might incur a transaction fee. Oyster card is probably best. The underground is very easy to use and makes it unnecessary to stay in central London where hotels are the most expensive.Unless you plan on walking to St George's from your hotel there's no need to stay in the Southwark area. However, if you do, don't miss a visit to Borough Market. Finding the best exit from Waterloo Tube Station can be a little complicated. For St. George's, I would suggest following the signs for the "Old Vic" theatre which will take you to Waterloo Road from where it is about ten minutes walk. Closest hotel to the Cathedral is H10 - https://www.h10hotels.com/en/london-hot ... n-waterloo - which looks ok (though I have never stayed there myself) and costs around $210 US per night.
TimS_TheToolman

john45 wrote:Contactless payment cards (with a Wi-Fi symbol) can now also be used on all London public transport but a non-UK card might incur a transaction fee. Oyster card is probably best. The underground is very easy to use and makes it unnecessary to stay in central London where hotels are the most expensive.Unless you plan on walking to St George's from your hotel there's no need to stay in the Southwark area. However, if you do, don't miss a visit to Borough Market. Finding the best exit from Waterloo Tube Station can be a little complicated. For St. George's, I would suggest following the signs for the "Old Vic" theatre which will take you to Waterloo Road from where it is about ten minutes walk. Closest hotel to the Cathedral is H10 - https://www.h10hotels.com/en/london-hot ... n-waterloo - which looks ok (though I have never stayed there myself) and costs around $210 US per night.
Thanks John for the suggestions, and for the touring tips, also appreciated. I don't have a Contactless payment card so I'll have to go with an Oyster and/or Travel card. I'm leaning toward not staying to close to central London. That's up in the air, I'm trying to sort out to many things at once, feels like my head is starting to swim. :? Ahhh... any recommendations for a local sim card for my mobile?
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

I use Lycamobile Pay as you go which is available at most convenience stores and offers very cheap rates for calls to North America,
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

If you want to use mobile data the network 'Three' has very good value pay-as-you-go SIM deals - £20 include 12gb of data + 300 mins and 300 texts - not sure of cost of calls back to US though, but 12gb data is sweet.

Mercy & Love