South Korea Tour 2016

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Re: South Korea Tour 2016

Post by alcesalcesobservator »

john45 wrote:
alcesalcesobservator wrote: Actually, I'm surprised it hasn't happened by now. :lol:
It has. Tom D-L in 2014.
Oh, right. I'd forgotten about that. :roll:
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

alcesalcesobservator wrote:Yet a few more pictures from the Korea tour
Thanks for the photos :D
alcesalcesobservator wrote:
john45 wrote:
alcesalcesobservator wrote: Actually, I'm surprised it hasn't happened by now. :lol:
It has. Tom D-L in 2014.
Oh, right. I'd forgotten about that. :roll:
I wasn't aware of that :lol: but it's inevitable with boys of that age I would say.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

New blog about the tour now available :D

http://www.libera.org.uk/blog/korea

Sounds like this trip was a good one though the amount of travel, both to/from Korea and within it, were probably very exhausting. But between hardcore soccer (football) competitions of Libera XI against the Korean Random Boys in Park FC :lol: and majestic fantasy warrior battles with toy weapons :lol: it looks like they had a fun time.
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Surpinto wrote:New blog about the tour now available :D

Sounds like this trip was a good one though the amount of travel, both to/from Korea and within it, were probably very exhausting. But between hardcore soccer (football) competitions of Libera XI against the Korean Random Boys in Park FC :lol: and majestic fantasy warrior battles with toy weapons :lol: it looks like they had a fun time.
I sure does! I really like this author-- he's coherent, and remembers fun details.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

The gallery has now been updated as well and it looks like they had a lot of fun indeed; tons of pictures of them playing and goofing around, along with some wonderful photos of their performances :)
RP pops up here and there as well, posing in Eoghan's selfie for instance. The chaperones are also captured - their role being so essential for Libera they should be acknowledged for that, and perhaps being in these pictures is a nice gesture in that way.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

maartendas wrote: The gallery has now been updated as well and it looks like they had a lot of fun indeed; tons of pictures of them playing and goofing around, along with some wonderful photos of their performances :)
RP pops up here and there as well, posing in Eoghan's selfie for instance. The chaperones are also captured - their role being so essential for Libera they should be acknowledged for that, and perhaps being in these pictures is a nice gesture in that way.
Thanks for the heads up....have they added some more photos to the Philippines galley too? Some appear new to me.
Last edited by JimmyRiddle on Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

maartendas wrote:

The gallery has now been updated as well and it looks like they had a lot of fun indeed; tons of pictures of them playing and goofing around, along with some wonderful photos of their performances :)
Good find Maartendas! :D
TimS_TheToolman

Post by TimS_TheToolman »

Surpinto wrote:The chaperones are also captured - their role being so essential for Libera they should be acknowledged for that, and perhaps being in these pictures is a nice gesture in that way.
I had a chance to speak with one of the chaperones at the last concert on the tour in Daejeon. They do a lot of work behind the scene and handling boys in this age group can be challenging at times (this I know from experience). I made a point in our conversation to thank her for contributing her time and working to bring these boys to the international stage. I'm sure they (chaperones) appreciate getting a thank you every now and again. :)
TimS_TheToolman

Having recently becoming a member of this BB, I have been encouraged by a long time member to write a review of the concerts in this tour, that there was still time to submit one even though I'm coming to the party really late. I have never attempted such a feat but thought I would give it a go.

These are my very first Libera concerts. I'm not sure what I can add to the details of the concert reviews already submitted, since as time goes on details become fuzzy and even lost. But there are things that do stand out and seem to stick, so I will attempt a general overview of my experience.

The seats I procured for the concerts were positioned very nicely in the center section, 1st and 3rd rows, one of those being generously donated to me. The last concert was a first row seat on the far right side of the venue and on the far end of the row.

Up until this time I had only seen Libera videos on YouTube and DVD. You get a certain expectation from these vids in that the boys are very polished, professional and disciplined. Nothing like a live performance to dispel those impressions. Apart from being captivated by their singing I was amused with the fidgeting of hands, fingers, feet and the flicking of heads to remove hair from the face.

Suwon
It was exciting to hear and see songs that I had heard on CD/DVD performed on live stage. One song, Prayer I believe, has the boys kneeling and then standing part way through. Sitting where I was my view was straight across the flooring of the stage, so there was a direct view of every ones shoes. Out of the corner of my eye, as the boys finished standing, I caught a foot turn up, it looked odd causing a closer look. Here, as was mentioned in a preceding review, were toes being wiggled up and down in white socks. What, no shoes! :o

The signature table sessions (M&G) at the concerts were also a real treat. I was somewhat apprehensive not knowing what to say to each of the boys. I didn't know enough about each and sort of struggled to come up with something beyond “Hi, how are you. Having fun? Etc.” Until I got down the table to the shoeless one. I asked him what happened to his shoes, and expecting a short “I forgot them,” instead was given a nice explanation as to how his shoes happened remain London.

On down the table I was, how shall I say, teased or thrown a couple of curves by four boys, setting in two pairs apart from each other. Took me off guard, instead of me speaking first, they spoke right up and proceeded to deliver a couple off the wall humorous comments about themselves that left me wondering how to respond. Guess I'm not a very fast thinker. :? First pair, one introduced the other as a sitcom celebrity, ahhh, okay. The other pair further down, one proclaimed that he and his partner are twins. :lol: I think these comments were in part because myself and my companions where the only western, English speakers there which gave the boys fans they could actually talk to and have fun with.

Seoul
Another great concert, the boys were on their game. This one really sticks out. As everyone knows, the boys have speaking parts at different portions of the concert. It came to the end of the concert and Taichi announced that they would no sing the last song. The audience gave out a collective sigh, almost a moan. I think the boys where a little startled by it, the whole group seemed to flinch in unison, many breaking out in big smiles. :o But, the look on Tiachi's and Alessandro's faces was one of surprise and I think astonishment, their jaws dropped. Their expressions were absolutely priceless. I hope I never forget those looks. And, I don't think Taichi had even finished speaking, but after a pause, he collected himself and continued.

Another fun M&G. I asked each of the boys what is the best, most fun thing you've done so far here in Korea? Some of the replies: “Natural history museum.” “Seoul Tower.” And my favorite, “Went to McDonald's!” :lol:

Icheon
Not much I remember about this concert other than it was another great performance. The M&G was a very limited affair with only a couple of table s and the boys coming out in 3 relays of 10. The Korean fans appeared to be unhappy and disappointed by arrangement. From what I heard, it was at the request of the venue management the M&G be hurried along for some reason.

Daejeon
My seating here was not as good as the other three, I was in the end seat in the right hand section against the wall. My view was pretty much limited to the boys on each end and when they were in an arc I almost couldn't see the center of it. One change that was made in the concert here was Gabriel Collin taking over the Salvas from Alex M in Salva Me. I could not see Gabe from where I was sitting and had no idea it was not Alex M until after the concert when FDL revealed that it was Gabe. I was surprised. The crystal clarity of his voice is amazing. Very nice and well done, Gabe.

Its from this seat that I thought I was going to see a fight break out right in front of me. In getting set in their positions for a song, don't remember which, one of the boys kept moving a younger one to his right, the boy would quietly disagree and move back only to be repositioned again to the right. This was repeated 3 or 4 times. They looked like they were starting to have words with each other, they finally settled into position. Hmm… never know what you're going to see on stage I guess.

The M&G afterwards, again, a lot of fun. I learned the boys had engaged in a football match (soccer) against each other that afternoon. You want to see a group of boys come alive, wow. I mentioned that to one of them and about 5 or 6 boys sitting right there erupted, all speaking at once, pointing out what they had done to score or assist during the match.

Conclusion
The concerts were outstanding, better than the recordings. I think I enjoyed the M&G almost as much as the concerts. Through the course of the four concerts there was a handshake or two and a lot of fist bumps, all initiated by the boys, and as I learned interacting with them, there are a couple of live wires in that group, the poor chaperones.

I did get the chance to chat with one of the chaperones in Daejeon for a few minutes after the M&G. Learned a little of what they endure handling boys in this age group. I've worked with Boy Scouts so they have my sympathies.

For my first set of Libera concerts, this was priceless. And, I met some great people, made new friends. What more could you ask for from a Libera concert, right?

One other note, I am in awe of 8, 9 and 10 year old boys who can stand before an audience of 2600 people and speak. :)
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

TimS_TheToolman wrote:Having recently becoming a member of this BB, I have been encouraged by a long time member to write a review of the concerts in this tour, that there was still time to submit one even though I'm coming to the party really late. I have never attempted such a feat but thought I would give it a go.
And I'm so very glad you did!
TimS_TheToolman wrote: I asked him what happened to his shoes, and expecting a short “I forgot them,” instead was given a nice explanation as to how his shoes happened remain London.
How did the shoes stay behind?

TimS_TheToolman wrote: But, the look on Tiachi's and Alessandro's faces was one of surprise and I think astonishment, their jaws dropped. Their expressions were absolutely priceless. I hope I never forget those looks. And, I don't think Taichi had even finished speaking, but after a pause, he collected himself and continued.
:lol: Oh, my, how I wish I had been there!
TimS_TheToolman wrote: Its from this seat that I thought I was going to see a fight break out right in front of me. In getting set in their positions for a song, don't remember which, one of the boys kept moving a younger one to his right, the boy would quietly disagree and move back only to be repositioned again to the right. This was repeated 3 or 4 times. They looked like they were starting to have words with each other, they finally settled into position. Hmm… never know what you're going to see on stage I guess.

If it had come to words, that certainly would have shattered their angelic reputation! This is hilarious, Tim! (May I call you Tim? Or perhaps you would prefer Mr. Toolman?) I'm so glad you decided to write a belated review! Details like these are the bread and butter of armchair enthusiasts like myself. :lol: Thanks again for the review, you write very well.
TimS_TheToolman

TimS_TheToolman wrote: I asked him what happened to his shoes, and expecting a short “I forgot them,” instead was given a nice explanation as to how his shoes happened remain London.
How did the shoes stay behind?

The shoes were placed in a bag separate from the robe and other tour items. The shoe bag somehow ended up being placed else where. Sort of an out of sight out of mind kind of thing I guess.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

alcesalcesobservator wrote:
TimS_TheToolman wrote:Having recently becoming a member of this BB, I have been encouraged by a long time member to write a review of the concerts in this tour, that there was still time to submit one even though I'm coming to the party really late. I have never attempted such a feat but thought I would give it a go.
And I'm so very glad you did!
Me too! What a nice and comprehensive review to read. It does not matter that this was not the most recent event for Libera, many gems here are recollections and comparisons to past performances, arrangements, etc. As fans we can enjoy seeing the evolution of the group over time. :D

Thank you for writing that. It was great.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Thanks for the entertaining read :)
I know what you mean, the boys can surprise you with their remarks and behaviour. They show a different side of themselves during a M&G which is nice to see and it gives us fans the chance to get to know them a little bit better.
I'm glad you were able to talk to one of the chaperones. They are vital to the tours and I can imagine it's not always an easy task! Though obviously very rewarding.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above