Continental Europe Tour Summer 2016

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Continental Europe Tour Summer 2016

Post by Surpinto »

Now that Libera has made this tour official on their website I thought I would start this thread of discussion in the correct section of the forum. The speculations and information discussed earlier can be referenced here. I decided to title this thread as a "European tour" because that is how Libera has referred to it in their announcement on twitter even though it does not seem to span many countries :roll: .....oh well :D

As of right now we have an official announcement of the concert in Vallendar, Germany. And a mini-site for WYD by Libera

http://wyd.libera.org.uk/

As provided by JimmyRiddle, the details of the event in Germany can be seen right here.

So far we have the following concerts:
  1. Wednesday, July 27. 18:00, Church of St. Casimir.
  2. Thursday, July 28, 2016. 21:10 - 23:00, World Youth Day Festival. Krakow, Poland.
  3. Tuesday, August 2, 2016. 19:30, Pilgrim Church, Vallendar-Schoenstatt.
I will update this list as new concerts become known and available. :D
Last edited by Surpinto on Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:06 pm, edited 6 times in total.
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Re: Continental Europe Tour Summer 2016

Post by alcesalcesobservator »

Perhaps we can expect to see more newbies on this tour, seeing as it is close to home. :)
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Oh my! They're coming to the mainland! :D
I'm already excited, even though I've no idea if I will be able to attend any concerts. How wonderful that they suddenly decided to come to Europe! :)

(The perfect antidote for the Brexit hangover? ;-))

EDIT -- Regarding the Poland concert, according to the event page of the concert in Germany, Libera will perform at the World Youth Days (WYD) in Krakow:

Nachdem sie den internationalen Weltjugendtag in Krakau mitgestalten durften gibt der LIBERA Knabenchor auf der Rückreise in seine Heimatstadt London sein Deutschland Debut am Dienstag, den 2. August um 19:30 Uhr in der Pilgerkirche in Vallendar-Schönstatt in der Nähe von Koblenz.

Translation: On their way home to London, ater they contributed to the international World Youth Day in Krakow, Libera will make their German debut on Tuesday 2 August at 19:30 pm in the Pilgrim church in Vallendar-Schönstatt near Koblenz.

The WYD is a worldwide event for young people in the Roman Catholic church to get together and celebrate their faith.
My assumption is that their engagement at the WYD is the direct reason for them coming to Europe - and now luckily they made use of this by adding a date in Germany. Let's hope some more will follow :)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Liesma

Post by Liesma »

That sounds great, and it makes me so excited!!!

As I will go to WYD, I realy hope to see Libera there (that would be the first time when I see Libera performing live)!!! :D :wink:
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Hi Liesma, I'm really happy for you that you are going to the WYD and also with the possibility of seeing Libera :) I hope you manage to find out when they will perform and that you are able to see them, that would be so great! The first time seeing Libera is always a special occasion.
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Post by alcesalcesobservator »

Liesma wrote:That sounds great, and it makes me so excited!!!

As I will go to WYD, I realy hope to see Libera there (that would be the first time when I see Libera performing live)!!! :D :wink:
So you don't have to make any extra plans?? Awesome! I'm so excited for you!
Liesma

Post by Liesma »

Does this mean that appearing in WYD is official from this moment? :)
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Liesma wrote:

Does this mean that appearing in WYD is official from this moment? :)
Yes! :D

Congratulations. After you see them we expect a full, detailed report about the performance. :wink:
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

This tour promises to be a real adventure!

From what I have read about World Youth Day there should be huge crowds in Krakow; which is
reflected in the availability and pricing for hotels during the event and flights out of town when it is over.
I feel fortunate to be booked at only a modest premium above standard prices.
Details are still sketchy about what exactly Libera will be doing in Poland. Will it be one (or more) complete
concerts or a small appearance as part of a larger event or events?
Either way I am looking forward to Libera's first performances in Poland and Germany.

The German location is certainly off the beaten path. Vallendar has a population of just over 8000 citiziens,
though Koblenz (100,000) is very near. It made me think of our discussion about Libera's plans to sing in Van Wert, Ohio.
While it will take a little more effort to get there, the tickets are dirt cheap. Hopefully that encourages people to come
out and support the show.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Indeed it will be a great adventure.
However, none of the European concerts will generate any revenue for Libera. Even with drastic economizing on accommodation and transportation there will still be considerable expenses. On the plus side, with an estimated 600,000 in attendance at the main events there will be considerable exposure and potential to increase their fan base. However, this will not meet the immediate expenses and now would be a great time to consider making a donation. Anything you are able to afford would be greatly appreciated.
filiarheni
Gold Member

Post by filiarheni »

The reason why the Schönstatt tickets are so cheap is that they ccount on attracting more audience this way. I do hope it works!

Anyway, everyone of us who will go and see Libera there should make up for the low cost and give a fine donation via the collection basket after the concert.
"But in the dark and cold of things there always, always something sings"
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

This is something I have never seen before. Libera has now put out two tweets asking for donations to fund this concert.
Our supporters have encouraged us to appeal to our followers to make a donation to help fund our landmark visit to Poland & Germany. Our performances will not generate any funds but sadly there are still many costs to cover.
I think that soliciting donations directly like this is a good idea. Most fans, even dedicated ones, are under the false impression that with all the CD/DVD sales and concerts that they are financially covering their costs or close to it through those revenue streams. That is of course not even close to true. Even if sold-out, the revenue from a given concert rarely covers the costs of that concert; even when in the UK. I am sure that if RP simply accompanied them on a piano and the sound system consisted of a few microphones, as most other choirs tend to do, it would not be so burdensome financially. But they setup a full sound stage, lighting arrangements, and an orchestra. Those things are not cheap. Not to mention that the choristers receive a top class music education and get to travel all over the world at no cost to themselves; which is as it should be.

I have just donated some money to them and hope that others will do the same. Thank you John and filiarheni for reminding us how important it is to do our part as fans and support them in this way.
labbie

Post by labbie »

I can understand how difficult it must be for Libera to raise the funds that they need, especially when they have to rely upon donations to bolster their resources. I wonder if it would be helpful for supporters to know how much is needed so that they can donate accordingly, i.e., having some sort of goal to reach in donations. There is no way for contributors to know if Libera's needs will be met with the donations that they do receive. Providing even an estimate of the cost of the upcoming tour might be helpful for supporters. Of course, there may be reasons of confidentiality which prevent Libera's organization from sharing that information publicly, so supporters may not be privy to that information, however informative it might be. Nevertheless, I join with other supporters in wishing Libera a wonderful time in Germany and in Poland.
Last edited by labbie on Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

labbie wrote:I wonder if it would be helpful for supporters to know how much is needed so that they can donate accordingly, i.e., having some sort of goal to reach in donations.
This web site appears to suggest...
The ultimate aim is to achieve a total cash sponsorship up £250k per annum to cover the recruitment, training and touring of up to 45 boys.
I think something similar has been referenced in their concert programmes.
I don't know of any live counter which shows how much they have raised so far.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

My arrangements for the coming weeks have changed unexpectedly, leaving me with a lot of extra time on my hands, so I am now able to go to the concert in Germany! Still seeking out arrangements but since it is so nearby it will probably be easy. I can take the train to Koblenz and probably also sleep there (providing I can get back there late at night :lol: )
Who else is going?

I also have very little money so my attending the concert leaves little extra cash to spend on donations - but I will see what I can spare.