New UK Concert 23 April 2016 at Romsey Abbey

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

theforestdweller
Silver Member

Re: New UK Concert 23 April 2016

Post by theforestdweller »

Thanks to Yorkie for his review, and for confirming that the missing shoes syndrome is still active! I did spot one (at least) Libera member in what appeared to be white socks and no shoes, but wasn't sure enough to contradict John45. As always an uttely enjyoyable evening for myself and my Wife. We just enjoy the sounds and sights of LIbera - we are ignorant of any other apsects and fine detail!

The reminder by Ciaran of the attendance of CompassionUK set me Googling when I got home. I did briefly investigate when there was an interval presentation at a previous concert but never followed through. This time I did, and am now sponsoring a child in Sri Lanka. I decided it is time I gave something back in return for the good life I enjoy.

Roll on the next UK concert :) .
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe" - Einstein
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

theforestdweller wrote:Thanks to Yorkie for his review, and for confirming that the missing shoes syndrome is still active! I did spot one (at least) Libera member in what appeared to be white socks and no shoes, but wasn't sure enough to contradict John45. As always an uttely enjyoyable evening for myself and my Wife. We just enjoy the sounds and sights of LIbera - we are ignorant of any other apsects and fine detail!

The reminder by Ciaran of the attendance of CompassionUK set me Googling when I got home. I did briefly investigate when there was an interval presentation at a previous concert but never followed through. This time I did, and am now sponsoring a child in Sri Lanka. I decided it is time I gave something back in return for the good life I enjoy.

Roll on the next UK concert :) .
You should have made yourself known, always good to meet a forum member. Romsey Abbey Facebook page had a few more photos so I thought I might as well post them here:
Romsey 5.jpg
courtesy of Romsey Abbey Facebook page
Romsey 5.jpg (112.31 KiB) Viewed 2280 times
Romsey 5.jpg (112.31 KiB) Viewed 2280 times
romsey 4.jpg
romsey 4.jpg (174.36 KiB) Viewed 2280 times
romsey 4.jpg (174.36 KiB) Viewed 2280 times
Romsey 3.jpg
Romsey 3.jpg (84.57 KiB) Viewed 2280 times
Romsey 3.jpg (84.57 KiB) Viewed 2280 times
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Romsey 7.jpg
Romsey 7.jpg (102.6 KiB) Viewed 2279 times
Romsey 7.jpg (102.6 KiB) Viewed 2279 times
Romsey 6.jpg
Romsey 6.jpg (76.92 KiB) Viewed 2279 times
Romsey 6.jpg (76.92 KiB) Viewed 2279 times

Mercy & Love
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Thank you for such a detailed review, Yorkie! :D It's greatly appreciated because it makes those of us, like me, feel like we were there right along with you and all of the other fans. It must have taken you a good deal of time to write and I want you to know that it was not a waste.
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Post by alcesalcesobservator »

john45 wrote:
alcesalcesobservator wrote:Okay, where is everybody? There's been a concert and not so much as a picture? Not a single review?
There was a lot of activity on twitter and you can get an almost live blow by blow account by following @KnightofNorbury @fan_de_LoK and @DearLibera.
Oh, well, I'm not on twitter. :P
Yorkie wrote: The problem with writing reviews is that I don't take notes any longer (since we were politely asked to desist as it made the boys nervous)...
They made a pre-concert announcement? I guess looking out over an audience of people taking notes could be intimidating, but after years and years of concert reviews, I'm surprised that it is mentioned now.
Yorkie wrote: Some things that I can remember of the night – missing shoes! Yes, it happened again.
Missing shoes--perhaps after many years of wear and tear the shoes are simply wearing out, hence a shortage?
Yorkie wrote: A funny moment was at the start of Exultate – the flautist appeared on the right of the stage but where was the percussionist with his drum? The silence went on for ever and then a figure appeared having walked all the way around the back of the stage to take up his position front left with his drum. He turned to face the boys and puffed out his cheeks and raised his eyebrows to indicate what an effort it had been to get there. This really cracked up a few of the boys and Isaac and Cassius were still grinning and trying not to laugh well in to the song. :D
Ah, funny stories--the bread and butter of the computer-screen Libera enthusiast. Thanks for the review, Yorkie! It's nice to have these things written down for later reference.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

The notes request was made several years ago and depends on where you are sitting - if at or near the front it is very obvious from the stage.

The shoes episode is in dispute - some think they observed socks others not but there was evidence of some wear and tear.
Last edited by Yorkie on Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mercy & Love
Choirfan
Silver Member

Post by Choirfan »

Nice to see the reviews here, thanks to those that took the time to write them.

I agree with Yorkie that Sacris Solemnis was the stand out song of the evening for me...I've always loved that song and I think the last time I had heard it live was in Dublin in 2009, so it was a very welcome addition on Saturday.

Romsey Abbey was a beautiful venue, a bit trickier to get to than Arudel or Guildford but at least i got to visit a part of England I had never been to before (Bournemouth).

It's always a little bit unfortunate that in these late Spring concerts, many of the back row tend to be missing (maybe due to school exams or something) and so I always feel some of the harmonies are missing those deeper tones that we get in later concerts. But, this is just a minor gripe. It's always a privilege to be able to attend Libera concerts, see some beautiful venues, catch up with the regular fans and meet some new ones too. And the Libera boys are always so enthusiastic and a joy to watch and listen to, Saturday was no exception.

Roll on the next one! :D
"You are not alone"
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Yorkie wrote: The shoes episode is in dispute - some think they observed socks others not but there was evidence of some wear and tear.
From an official source "The eagle eyes were correct - there were some stockinged feet!"
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Posted by Libera today on Twitter. Photos are inside and outside Romsey.

alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Thanks Surpinto!
Incomplétude

Post by Incomplétude »

Here 3 of 6 pictures from the end of the concert.
IMG_5655.jpg
IMG_5655.jpg (407.38 KiB) Viewed 2125 times
IMG_5655.jpg
IMG_5655.jpg (407.38 KiB) Viewed 2125 times
IMG_5663.jpg
IMG_5663.jpg (909.55 KiB) Viewed 2125 times
IMG_5663.jpg
IMG_5663.jpg (909.55 KiB) Viewed 2125 times
IMG_5665.jpg
IMG_5665.jpg (296.87 KiB) Viewed 2125 times
IMG_5665.jpg
IMG_5665.jpg (296.87 KiB) Viewed 2125 times
Incomplétude

Post by Incomplétude »

... and the last 3.
IMG_5668.jpg
IMG_5668.jpg (558.18 KiB) Viewed 2125 times
IMG_5668.jpg
IMG_5668.jpg (558.18 KiB) Viewed 2125 times
IMG_5683.jpg
IMG_5683.jpg (958.93 KiB) Viewed 2125 times
IMG_5683.jpg
IMG_5683.jpg (958.93 KiB) Viewed 2125 times
IMG_5727.jpg
IMG_5727.jpg (625.07 KiB) Viewed 2125 times
IMG_5727.jpg
IMG_5727.jpg (625.07 KiB) Viewed 2125 times
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Wow, Incompletude! Those are great pictures! How did you like the concert?
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Yep, great pics Incompletude, many thanks for sharing.

Mercy & Love
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

A few more official photos of the concert posted on the Official Libera Facebook page.