Mozart Requiem

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Surpinto
Platinum Member

Mozart Requiem

Post by Surpinto »

Apparently the church choir at St. Phillips (Libera being a subset of that choir which performs concerts and makes CDs) will be performing the Mozart requiem. While I would not normally post about that here as it is not directly related to Libera, but to their Church obligations, the poster has the Libera group as seen in Washington 2014; and what's more they refer to them as the "Libera Choir" and not as St. Phillips choir.

Both of those things make me wonder as to whether there is now less separation than in the past with regards to the choir's church service activities versus their touring and concert activities. Or perhaps this is a way to draw more people to the church? Anyway I find it rather curious.

dani
Diamond Member

Re: Mozart Requiem

Post by dani »

This is certainly a new way to promote St Phillips as I have never known them to be promoted as Libera at the church and they have always gone out of there way to make sure fans know that you don't confuse the two.

I wonder what has brought in the change ?!
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

It is different to be sure. My vote is that this is a way to drum up some publicity rather than loosening of the separation between church and concert hall. I think a certain amount of overlap is understood by chorister, congregation and attendees alike, but the choir singing at St Philip's and a Libera concert are much different in purpose and sound. The lights, backing musicians and sound system aren't a part of the ordinary worship service at St P's.

What I also noticed was that the announcement says Libera Choir and Orchestra. I know they have performed Mozart Requiem at St P's in the past, but since i've not seen any of those I don't know if it was with backing musicians, though I doubt it.

Even if different for this show, the wall between the performing artist and church choir needs to remain intact. There have already been instances of "fans" who have ruined particular church services for members of the congregation by forgetting why the boys were singing that day, where they were and what proper decorum is when one is at a church before, during and after a service. If St P's started publicizing "Libera appearing twice weekly" instances of inappropriate behavior would likely increase as more people would attend for the wrong purpose.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

tom413 wrote:It is different to be sure. My vote is that this is a way to drum up some publicity rather than loosening of the separation between church and concert hall. I think a certain amount of overlap is understood by chorister, congregation and attendees alike, but the choir singing at St Philip's and a Libera concert are much different in purpose and sound. The lights, backing musicians and sound system aren't a part of the ordinary worship service at St P's.

What I also noticed was that the announcement says Libera Choir and Orchestra. I know they have performed Mozart Requiem at St P's in the past, but since i've not seen any of those I don't know if it was with backing musicians, though I doubt it.

Even if different for this show, the wall between the performing artist and church choir needs to remain intact. There have already been instances of "fans" who have ruined particular church services for members of the congregation by forgetting why the boys were singing that day, where they were and what proper decorum is when one is at a church before, during and after a service. If St P's started publicizing "Libera appearing twice weekly" instances of inappropriate behavior would likely increase as more people would attend for the wrong purpose.
It is a real shame that some people do not know how to behave themselves. But I agree that they must have that separation which is why I was surprised by this particular poster and advertisement; it seems to go against their traditional public relations messaging.

But perhaps it applies only for this particular performance as you say. If so that would make a lot of sense.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

If the performance is at 6:30 PM perhaps it's not a church service but instead a free concert. Libera gives concerts at a variety of churches, Anglican, Roman Catholic and others, why not at St. Phillips? If it's a concert then guests won't have to follow Anglican religious customs.

What does "retiring collection" mean, taking up a collection as the audience leaves?
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

TullyBascombe wrote:
What does "retiring collection" mean, taking up a collection as the audience leaves?
It means a collection after the performance. This is not a ticketed entertainment event but a form of worship.
I believe funding for the orchestra may be from Libera coffers (via Libera supporters) but proceeds from the collection will go to St Philip's. This, along with extra publicity, could be a reason why the "Libera" name appears on the poster which I agree is unusual but probably a one-off situation. As Tom has said the distinction between worship by the church choir and entertainment by the performing group is important and will no doubt remain. I suspect the full St.Philip's choir will be involved, so strictly speaking the poster is not entirely accurate.
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Post by alcesalcesobservator »

This looks to be a really interesting and unusual performance. I wish I could make it! Hopefully someone who attends will post a review here.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

This was a religious service and was sung by the full St. Philip’s choir but was also advertised as a “Libera” performance so I guess it is ok to report it here.
The “orchestra” was made up of hand-picked individual musicians true to the original score. They were positioned in front and conducted by RP. The full St. Philip’s choir behind consisted of 29 trebles, 5 altos, 6 tenors and 6 basses. There were also 5 juniors who for the most part occupied the front pew but joined the full choir for about five movements.

The solo quartet for Tuba Mirum was Sam Coates (bass), Simon B (tenor). Camden (contralto), and Gabe (soprano). This was one of the highlights for me.
For Recordare the quartet was Sam Coates (bass), Big Ben, (tenor), Alessandro (contralto) and Merlin (soprano).
Final solo quartet for Benedictus was Simon L (bass), Simon B (tenor), Isaac (contralto), Alex M (soprano.
The quartets moved to the front of the orchestra and arranged themselves in order of height (tallest to the left) which was very effective staging.

This was a magnificent and memorable performance by all involved and a great privilege to have been a witness to it. After the blessing Father Younis invited the congregation (who apart from an opening hymn had remained silent thus far) to show their appreciation. It was easy to tell that it had been bursting to do so. Enthusiastic applause went on for several minutes. Robert then returned to the stage to conduct the choir in an a capella psalm or canticle which was followed by more appreciative applause.
By the way, Google the musicians. You will be amazed by some of their credentials.
CdfFSB5WwAE9-Tc.jpg
CdfFSB5WwAE9-Tc.jpg (65.09 KiB) Viewed 2452 times
CdfFSB5WwAE9-Tc.jpg
CdfFSB5WwAE9-Tc.jpg (65.09 KiB) Viewed 2452 times
CdfFTC_W8AAepv9.jpg
CdfFTC_W8AAepv9.jpg (55.02 KiB) Viewed 2452 times
CdfFTC_W8AAepv9.jpg
CdfFTC_W8AAepv9.jpg (55.02 KiB) Viewed 2452 times
Thanks to Patrick for scanning the program
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

Thanks John.

Its unfortunate that I was unable to make it. Thanks for your detailed review of the service.

Paul :)
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Thanks for the review, John. It sounds like a great concert! I don't think we've seen Sejus Toussaint-O'Neil, Neo Parson, or Emanuele Borrelli before--yet they're all ready skilled enough to sing with the main group! Perhaps we will hear more of them on the upcoming tour.
muffin818

Post by muffin818 »

This sounds like it was incredible, especially with all the older boys like Sam and Steven and Big Ben! Disappointed I couldn't make it so I really hope they do something similar again.
"And I saw a new heaven
For the first heaven
And the first earth
Are passed away.

Illumina perpetua.

And there shall be no more death
Neither sorrow
Nor crying
For these are passed away."
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Check this out:

Again, a service at St. Phillips featuring Libera. Interesting.
I could have made this if I had seen it sooner. :-( Oh well.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

alcesalcesobservator wrote:Check this out:

I guess nobody bothered because it's not exactly Libera related, but i am sorry you missed it all the same :(
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

alcesalcesobservator wrote:Check this out:
Might I suggest you follow St Phillip's Facebook page where this was posted.

St Phillip's, Norbury
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Sorry you missed it. As it was a religious service I will just list the music without comment, but have to report that "Zadok the Priest" by the St. Philip's Choir was alone worth crossing the Atlantic to hear.

Choir sang:
Veni Creator -Chant
I was glad when they said unto me - Parry
Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace -Wesley
Jubilate - Britten
Blessed be the God and Father - Wesley
Zadok the priest - Handel

Choir and congregation sang:
All people that on earth do dwell - Vaughan Williams
The Lord's my shepherd - Irvine ("Crimond")
Jerusalem - Parry
National Anthem

Organ recital:
Orb & Sceptre Coronation March - Walton.
Attachments
DSC01357.JPG
DSC01357.JPG (2.53 MiB) Viewed 2029 times
DSC01357.JPG
DSC01357.JPG (2.53 MiB) Viewed 2029 times