Japan Christmas Tour 2015

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

john45
Gold Member

Re: Japan Christmas Tour 2015

Post by john45 »

Surpinto is correct. As for Ciaran, I fear his larynx may be beginning to play tricks on him. No need for a review as you can see and hear the mini-concert for yourselves via FDL's link. Many others were recording, some with quite fancy looking cameras, so better quality videos will probably appear soon.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

john45 wrote:Many others were recording, some with quite fancy looking cameras, so better quality videos will probably appear soon.
Here's one:
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
hiskeys
Silver Member

Post by hiskeys »

Wow. I think it's safe to say that this was the most extravagant multimedia that Libera's been involved in to date. (It looks like the projection mapping lights would have blinded them at the beginning.)

I imagine they (and their families) will be pleased to be able to see the video and appreciate the entire impact of it.

Being involved in a team effort like Libera is one thing. It brings joy to see the end results of your combined efforts. But this time Libera as a whole was part of an even bigger presentation. Good for them. I hope it didn't bring too much extra pressure on them. On the other hand, it's probably a good warmup for the other three concerts.

I think different opportunities like this (singing outdoors, for example) in the long run make them stronger and more confident, and perhaps even open the doors for wider consideration in the future.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Surpinto wrote:Apparently filming was permitted
That's a first! I wonder what made Libera change their mind about filming live performances? Was this perhaps a one-off related to the unique circumstances of this particular concert?

I'll watch and listen to the footage later. I only watched a snippet of Song of Life just now and despite the fact that it's amazing to be able to see and hear this concert, the sound quality obviously is below Libera standard. A few years ago, I would not have cared but now I find I enjoy it less when the sound is just not what it should be.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

They came across very well in the USJ mini-concert, considering it was an outdoor event (probably their least favourable setup due to sound leakage and other ambient sounds mixing in, you could hear people screaming on the roller coaster in the background during quieter passages). Rock bands can turn up the amps to compensate this, Libera is all about the purity of the vocals. The lighting display on their No.1 song Angel was amazing, and USJ appear to gone above and beyond to accommodate their historical Christmas week trip to Japan. I think they know how special it is to have them over there at this time of the year.

An immeasurable amount of thanks for on-the-ground reporters FDL, Yuki and others who are keeping us updated on Twitter about another busy day for Libera.

So far they have completed two autograph signings in records stores, and appeared on TV, at this very moment they are performing their first concert in Osaka.

Patrick on Twitter
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
labbie

Post by labbie »

Did the venue not give the audience a warning about audio or video recordings? I find it hard to believe that audience members were allowed to record. Bootleg videos of concerts posted to YouTube or shared anywhere do a great disservice to Libera by misrepresenting their sound. Those who happen to view such a video are not getting an accurate representation of the choir's sound, and that is unfortunate. Furthermore, the songs are Libera's copyrighted material, another reason why recordings of any concerts are not allowed. If the venue allowed audience recordings, then they are at fault as well. I wonder if Libera management had any input into this. It is unfair to them that the practice was allowed. I know that some people on this forum may disagree with me, but I have friends who are professional musicians, and I know that they take a dim view of bootleg concert videos. I am only suggesting that people should consider Libera's reputation as well as the quality of their performances and refrain from posting live concerts. It is only fair to Libera. Again, I am sorry if my comments offend some people, but this is my heartfelt opinion on the matter.
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Post by alcesalcesobservator »

Surpinto wrote:
alcesalcesobservator wrote:I'm not up to date on voices, and the video is a bit graney.
Who did the solo "ahh"'s on Carol of the Bells, and the ending solo?
Who sang the last "sanctus"?
Ciaran did well on "Song of Life", though he seemed like he had a tickle in his throat for the last two lines.
Isaac's voice has got a whole lot richer on the low notes.

Thanks again, Patrick!
I would imagine that it was the same singers as in St George.

Sanctus - Merlin
Carol of the Bells - Gabe at the beginning and Alex G at the end

Someone please correct me if I am mistaken on this.
Thanks, Surpinto!
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Post by alcesalcesobservator »

hiskeys wrote:Wow. I think it's safe to say that this was the most extravagant multimedia that Libera's been involved in to date. (It looks like the projection mapping lights would have blinded them at the beginning.)

I imagine they (and their families) will be pleased to be able to see the video and appreciate the entire impact of it.

Being involved in a team effort like Libera is one thing. It brings joy to see the end results of your combined efforts. But this time Libera as a whole was part of an even bigger presentation. Good for them. I hope it didn't bring too much extra pressure on them. On the other hand, it's probably a good warmup for the other three concerts.

I think different opportunities like this (singing outdoors, for example) in the long run make them stronger and more confident, and perhaps even open the doors for wider consideration in the future.
That projection on Angel was quite fantastic! I agree, it was really neat to be able to see them as part of a production.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

labbie wrote:Did the venue not give the audience a warning about audio or video recordings? I find it hard to believe that audience members were allowed to record. Bootleg videos of concerts posted to YouTube or shared anywhere do a great disservice to Libera by misrepresenting their sound. Those who happen to view such a video are not getting an accurate representation of the choir's sound, and that is unfortunate. Furthermore, the songs are Libera's copyrighted material, another reason why recordings of any concerts are not allowed. If the venue allowed audience recordings, then they are at fault as well. I wonder if Libera management had any input into this. It is unfair to them that the practice was allowed. I know that some people on this forum may disagree with me, but I have friends who are professional musicians, and I know that they take a dim view of bootleg concert videos. I am only suggesting that people should consider Libera's reputation as well as the quality of their performances and refrain from posting live concerts. It is only fair to Libera. Again, I am sorry if my comments offend some people, but this is my heartfelt opinion on the matter.
Hey Labbie, I disagree with you but in a respectful and understanding way :) . The nature of this venue made filming inevitable and I think everyone, having heard the professionally recorded songs, will not see this as a true representation of Libera and their music. Besides, all publicity is good publicity, no? :D
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

People were told not to record but it was clearly not something that could be inforced in a open enveioment.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

dani wrote:People were told not to record but it was clearly not something that could be inforced in a open enveioment.
I didn't realize this and assumed it was permitted. I take my words back.
labbie

Post by labbie »

It probably would be difficult to enforce in an open-air environment. I would hope that most people would have realized that filming a substandard video and posting it online is disrespectful to Libera. Those of us who are aware of their DVDs would know that this obviously wasn't how Libera normally sounds, but if someone who wasn't familiar with Libera saw the bootleg video, they would not get an accurate idea of the group's sound. For that reason, I don't consider a bootleg to be good publicity. When it comes to this type of recording, as the saying goes,"just because you can, that doesn't mean you should". To Surpinto and Dani, thanks for the responses to my posts - this subject is something with which performers of all genres have to contend. As a music/choir teacher, I myself had to be aware of copyright restrictions for musical scores with respect to performances, and occasionally had to cope with parents who were filming their kids in the choir. Flashes are distracting, but as Dani mentioned, recording is a difficult thing to control, unless an announcement is made before the concert.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Compared to other fan videos of Libera concerts I've seen the quality of the videos on YouTube were actually pretty good, the pictures were crisp and not shaking, the sound was clear though the quality was diminished.

I have mixed feelings about the projected sets used in this and the previous Libera concert in Japan. They're colorful and visually striking but at the same time so transparently fake.
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

It's true most of the video's seem to be from reputable news agencies, who probably got permission to film and distribute for promotional benefits. conpetti.com has covered Libera before; another compilation one here...Tiachi is Libera's trump card when they go to Japan ;)

It was always going to be very difficult to stop people recording their own personal videos at a public event. The sound quality is probably the same in the videos as what it appeared to the people in the audience, as there would be no reverb, echo effect which libera can control in a closed venue.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
labbie

Post by labbie »

The professional recordings are markedly better. The boys represented themselves well during their performance. I also saw the clip of Taichi speaking. He is such a confident little fellow. He handled the Japanese speech like a pro. I remember him speaking at the Boston concert. He was so animated.