Santa.....

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

john45
Gold Member

Santa.....

Post by john45 »

Some comments from another site.

"Yes, their sound is good as ever and I won't complain about it.
What I do not like is the increasing number of pieces, which are either
lowbrow or twee.
I do hope that Robert Prizeman will find time and room to compose or arrange
more pieces like Voca Me, Libera, Sanctus, Mysterium, Angelis, Salva Me, I
am the day, Stay with me, A new heaven, Lament, Adoramus, Always with you,
New Day, Recordare, Orinoco Flow, Love and Mercy, You Were There,
Sempiterna, Lacrymosa, Sing the Story
for his outstanding ensemble!
The names Sony Music and Universal Music on the back of their recent albums
do not let me maintain high hopes but hope will never die ;-)"

"I feel libera is losing there direction. I wish RP would have the time to write again and get back to more of the type of music you mentioned."

"Maybe I am guilty of selective memory, but it seems to me that throughout their history Libera has always had a connection to their St. Philips roots - pretty much any of their pieces you could imagine as part of a service. I dont find that true so much with the EP CD/DVD. In fact I feel a bit of discomfort at the image that Christmas is about Santa finding you and heaping presents on you. As you said, too commercial!
From another viewpoint, maybe we should be grateful that we have been spared the Libera commercialization for so long!"

I understand the plan is for it to be played, Muzak style, in a number of US retail stores and fast food chains including Subway, Walmart, Sprint, Cold Stone, KFC, Taco Bell, McDonald's, Staples, Best Buy, Hooters and more.
I suppose the song might appeal to the Walmart crowd - but for me, as a proselytizer of Libera's music, the song is an embarrassment.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: Santa.....

Post by Yorkie »

john45 wrote:I understand the plan is for it to be played, Muzak style, in a number of US retail stores and fast food chains including Subway, Walmart, Sprint, Cold Stone, KFC, Taco Bell, McDonald's, Staples, Best Buy, Hooters and more.
I suppose the song might appeal to the Walmart crowd - but for me, as a proselytizer of Libera's music, the song is an embarrassment.
It won't ever be one of my favourite songs John but I'm much cheered by the thought of your face as the song starts to play and ruins your lunch in Hooters :lol:
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Hey John,

I understand that this song is a bit more "pop" than we are used to but I believe it is important to remember Libera's roots.

Remember this video? In 1985 that was pretty much pop music. So this is not at all a new thing for Libera. Musical artists have to experiment with different styles and with different approaches artistically. Please do not mistake my defense of the song for raging accolades on its behalf. I think it is a nice and sweet song and I like it a lot, but it is not a Libera all time favorite for me; just as I suspect is the case for most fans. But Libera's history does not make this song as much of a deviation as it may appear at first glance. As the choristers and RP are so fond of telling us "Libera" more or less means "free" in Latin and they have never been bound by a particular style.

It is also not unreasonable to see that the song is not so much about the literal Santa finding you and giving you a lot of presents; it is more about the Christmas spirit finding you even if you are not able to be home with your family. It’s about loved ones who are apart on Christmas, or kids that are worried that Christmas will pass them by. It’s not about the guy in the red suit drinking Coca Cola :wink: . Yes, the video with the sweaters and presents and all makes it seem like exactly that, but the theme of it was taking in someone less fortunate and sharing Christmas with him - done in a playful and fun way more than anything else.

Please know that I respect your opinion and understand your disappointment in this latest creation. Let's hope that the next song is one we can all agree on :D
Choirfan
Silver Member

Post by Choirfan »

I have to say the song is growing on me, have only listened to it three times now but I'm beginning to like it and it's getting stuck in my head...the video is cute too. I would put the song up there on a par with Justin Bieber's Christmas offering 'Mistletoe'.

I would like to see an original album of new material though, we haven't really had one since 2010's 'Peace', which is a pity.
"You are not alone"
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

I have tried, but although the song has grown on me slightly, for it is fun and very Christmasy, it would not be No. 1 on my Christmas playlist. However if I happen to be walking past a Hooters and heard it, I would most lightly pop in for a spot of lunch :lol:
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Choirfan wrote: I would put the song up there on a par with Justin Bieber's Christmas offering 'Mistletoe'.
I rest my case.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

I am also not a fan and if that was my first offering of libera I would not of become a fan and gone all over the country supporting them .

The mind boggles at the songs Libera have sung and never released but the song they do release is this :)

I also don't just want seasonal offerings from them which seems to also be the trend now as well.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Hmmmm............... What songs have they sung but not released, other than what they sing for services at St. Phillips?
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

TullyBascombe wrote:Hmmmm............... What songs have they sung but not released, other than what they sing for services at St. Phillips?
Going from concert lists that I have been to that I would of liked released or updated

O for the wings of a dove
Grateful Heart
Hymn to Mary
Lamentione
Te Lucis
Nearer My God to Thee
Dreaming of home

some songs that come to mind.

The Santa song now has 26000 hits which is good going.
henrylonghorn

Post by henrylonghorn »

As a young Libera supporter (born in the 90s), I'm quite in favor of Mr. Prizeman's decision of releasing "Santa." Though we don't see the full results yet, the song will more or less attract many listeners from my generation (or younger) to Libera. Of course, we all know that "Santa" is not representative of Libera's repertoire. That's okay, though. The new fans may explore the rest and possibly find other songs they like - Libera has done so many - or just stick to the wholly secular and seasonal "Santa." It's also easier on younger "proselytizers of Libera's music" (to quote john45 :D ) because we are comfortable sharing this song with more friends. The point is to get Libera's name out there to the general public, and then watch the "Libera magic" work out by itself.

I somewhat agree with opinions that Mr. Prizeman should commit more resources reviving the classical Libera style. Original songs like "Adoramus," "Libera," and "Salva Me" are still among my top favorites. I hope they will be re-recorded in future albums along with new works of the type, though there might be some hurdles behind-the-scenes, for instance, Prizeman's works are generally soloist-specific and vocally demanding.

One last point for "Santa" - the boys appear to have had the most fun making the video. Ultimately, they are the ones transmitting the music, and whatever messages they contain, to us, without any pay. We should be considerate of that and respect whichever style they enjoy the most. :D
Hark, we hear a distant music and it comes with fuller swell
’tis the glorious song of heaven and our fears it will dispel.

Concerts attended: 8 | Last concert: NYC (2023)

https://twitter.com/HenryLiberaBlog
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOluil ... dUezvPVhDA
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

It's never going to be the first festive tune I pull out of the Libera stockpile (of which there are many) when silly season cranks into gear. When I first listened to it, I wasn't overly keen, now putting it into context with the video and not taking it too seriously I'm optimistic that this song is more 'experimental' rather that setting a trend.

That said some do like it. It's got the seal of approval from Mindy Smith. It's doing well on Youtube - but I think for the traditional stalwarts and finely tuned connoisseur's of Libera's music who have been loyal supporters over many years, this is not up there with our favourite Libera pieces.

Dani made a good point about some songs never making it to public consumption. Particularly 'I'm Dreaming of Home'... I just feel sorry for anyone who hasn't yet heard this at a Libera concert because it was a standout for me in 2013.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Post by alcesalcesobservator »

Libera has recently done several hymns on their "Libera in America" CD. 'How Shall I Sing That Majesty', 'How Can I Keep From Singing', 'Amazing Grace', 'Be Still My Soul', 'Wayfairing Stranger'. They're not original releases, but they are beautiful arraignments.
henrylonghorn wrote: . . .there might be some hurdles behind-the-scenes, for instance, Prizeman's works are generally soloist-specific and vocally demanding.
Also, Robert Prizeman is getting along in years, and might be less active in Libera. How old is RP? 65? I hate to mention it, but in a few more years we could be looking at a new director for Libera. What will we do then? :shock:
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

alcesalcesobservator wrote:Also, Robert Prizeman is getting along in years, and might be less active in Libera. How old is RP? 65? I hate to mention it, but in a few more years we could be looking at a new director for Libera. What will we do then? :shock:
I'm pretty sure that RP is not in a rush to retire any time soon. And if he did, he would not leave Libera without an MD. There is plenty of home grown talent who could quite comfortably do this.
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Post by alcesalcesobservator »

paul wrote:
alcesalcesobservator wrote:Also, Robert Prizeman is getting along in years, and might be less active in Libera. How old is RP? 65? I hate to mention it, but in a few more years we could be looking at a new director for Libera. What will we do then? :shock:
I'm pretty sure that RP is not in a rush to retire any time soon. And if he did, he would not leave Libera without an MD. There is plenty of home grown talent who could quite comfortably do this.
Who's talking about retirement?? I'm a morbid person. Statistically speaking...
And even a hand picked MD would have their own ideas, sooner or later, that we'd have to come to gripes with.
Long life and health to Robert Prizeman!
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

RP is 63 years old, same as me. I don't know how it is in the UK, but here in the US retirement at age 63 is nigh unto impossible unless you've done very well for yourself.