Praise for the DVD

Talk about Libera CD/DVD

Moderator: Moderators

katyafan
Silver Member

Praise for the DVD

Post by katyafan »

Hello!

I was thinking about writing a few paragraphs about all the problems and glitches I noticed on the DVD. Then, I was reminded how much Libera has done for me, how they do more than they can afford, and how I wouldn't want any words of mine to get back to the boys, who had nothing to do with the production.

So, I thought it would be fun to list some aspects of it that blew me away, and to hear some things you guys liked! Maybe some specifically good things, since we have already basically said how much we loved the DVD and how great the boys did.

1. There has been talk about why Gabe may have been crying during Wayfaring stranger. What matters to me is that he took his 9 year old self, held his head up, and sang the best he could, right up in the front, no less! He didn't run away, he didn't look down. This is so rare for someone so young, and I'm not sure you can even teach that kind of maturity. Kudos to him, proving himself a tough young man!

2. Also in Wayfaring Stranger, around the second verse, the light catches in Sam W's eyes, at the corners as well as the middle, and he appears to be tearing up. You can see the emotion on his face. What a touching moment, in such a powerful song!

3. The older boys definitely don't get much credit for what they do. Of course, for a choir of mainly sopranos, the younger ones should get center stage, but looking at the, they always had huge smiles on their faces. You can tell they considered themselves lucky to be there, and were still as into the music as ever!! I'm glad the camera caught them more than in the Christmas DVD, they deserve to be noticed, and they sung on stage most of the time with the younger ones!

What special details did you all notice?
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Re: Praise for the DVD

Post by Surpinto »

I agree completely. As dedicated fans we notice little things much more so than a run of the mill person watching at home on PBS. But I don't see it as anyone disrespecting the choristers or the hard work of the organization. We just want them to be perfect because we hold them in such high regard; of course that cannot be a realistic expectation.

The older boys are certainly to be commended and I actually believe that when Libera incorporates more lower parts as they did on some songs particularly on their first two albums (Libera and Luminosa) they sound even more amazing.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

When I watch The Wayfaring Stranger segment it appears to me that the strong white flood light from front and above reflects off the boys' eyes. I'm not sure those are tears, I think it's just the lighting arrangement for that song.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Why was Gabe crying?? , the only minor thing I noticed about him in Wayfaring stranger is he stood too close behind Sam so he was hidden mostly but he was about 8 years of age and mistakes are too be expected
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

dani wrote:Why was Gabe crying?? , the only minor thing I noticed about him in Wayfaring stranger is he stood too close behind Sam so he was hidden mostly but he was about 8 years of age and mistakes are too be expected
http://www.forum.libera-dreams.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2150&p=45323#p45323
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Watching the DVD again tonight and Ciaran's solo in Amazing Grace just struck me again. Not just the clarity of his singing but the calm in his performance. He seems so sure and totally relaxed, singing those beautiful words full of meaning in such a huge building in front of all the people and cameras. We tend to get used to this level of performance, being Libera fans, but you have to compliment Robert and his team for achieving it time and time again. We are priviliged to live in an age where this beauty is made!
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I was particularly impressed by their handling of several old American gospel standards. It makes me think that it would be wonderful to have them appear at the World Series or the Super Bowl and show people how the Star Spangled Banner should be sung. You know, the "of" in "land of the free" should not sound like Tarzan attacking. I'm certain that they could totally nail that.
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

katyafan wrote:
1. There has been talk about why Gabe may have been crying during Wayfaring stranger. What matters to me is that he took his 9 year old self, held his head up, and sang the best he could, right up in the front, no less! He didn't run away, he didn't look down. This is so rare for someone so young, and I'm not sure you can even teach that kind of maturity. Kudos to him, proving himself a tough young man!

2. Also in Wayfaring Stranger, around the second verse, the light catches in Sam W's eyes, at the corners as well as the middle, and he appears to be tearing up. You can see the emotion on his face. What a touching moment, in such a powerful song!
I noticed a couple of the boys having watery eyes during Wayfaring Stranger, but they used a lot of smoke during this song, so that may have caused irritation.
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Could it be the angle of the lighting makes their eyes appear watery?
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

TullyBascombe wrote:Could it be the angle of the lighting makes their eyes appear watery?
I concur. I think it is the camera and light angle when it comes to Sam and the others. Gabe is a different story.
Liberanna

Post by Liberanna »

How shall i sing: Rocco's hand at the end of the song :D
Morning has Broken: Bertie continued to sleep in the early
America the Beautiful:Matthew smiles, because Gabe has disappeared ... Cute.