USA spring tour 2015...

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

dani
Diamond Member

Re: USA spring tour 2015...

Post by dani »

I wonder if you guys will get new surprises tonight as a few songs was not in the programme so I guess they can switch the, if needs be and will Lucas be back as well?

I guess Libera are in a transition period as a lot of the older boys are 12/13 so new boys have had to step up and it sounds like they are up to the task ahead .

Always exciting to get new soloists and new favourites ;)

thanks John , I will look forward to hearing Tom sing it at Guildford :)
Thunderhawk261
Silver Member

Post by Thunderhawk261 »

As with Rebecca, I haven't seen Libera in concert since 2011 (Frisco), and this forum sadly fell off of my radar over the last few years. With the gap in fandom, I can appreciate the evolution of Libera greatly.

The most marked change that I noticed were the proliferation of solo parts. From what I remember, solos were much fewer in the incarnations of Libera that I remember seeing (2010 & 2011).

There has been an almost complete turnover in members since 2011, only a handful of (mostly older) boys still with it. It is amazing how RP is able to maintain the high quality given the fluid nature of the troupe. I remarked to Matthew and Cassius about all the new faces, and theirs being the "old boy" veterans in the back row. They quickly added that they have 129 and 124 concerts under their respective belts so far! That is truly amazing when you really think about them being kids!

I was most impressed with the venue itself. So much so, that I find it difficult to describe it while doing it justice. The friendly and engaging staff--all volunteers, I was told--were justly proud of the facility and eager to share the history and story behind it. I certainly hope that Libera will return for future concerts in San Antonio (90 minutes by car from my home!).

Lastly, there were many Libera fans from Mexico attending for the first time. I sat next to a couple from Monterey, who were absolutely mesmerized by the boys' performance. Expect many more enthusiastic fans from Mexico in the future.
wpgoalie03

Post by wpgoalie03 »

I attended my first Live Libera performance last night in San Antonio, and I cannot adequately express how great this experience was for me. It was absolutely phenomenal. Almost a year ago exactly, I heard Libera for the first time when searching for different versions of "Be Still My Soul", a message that I really needed to hear at an especially tumultuous time for me, as I had just graduated from college and was beginning my career. After the first time hearing Libera sing, I was hooked. I have grown in my fandom over this past year, watching all the YouTube videos I could find, purchasing albums, and keeping up with the choir and individual members on social media. All of this came to a head last night when I FINALLY got to see them live.

None of the videos or recordings can do these talented young men justice. I found my self entranced by their voices as each song drew me in deeper. One member that impressed me, especially, was Alessandro. I had not seen him do too many solos in the YouTube videos, but he performed several last night and executed them perfectly. My favorite performance of the night was Danny Boy. It was an a cappella performance with Isaac singing the solo, naturally. He came to the very edge of the stage DIRECTLY in front of me! I literally thought he was about to jump down off of the stage for a moment. Being so close to my favorite chorister, I was tempted to reach out and give him a fist bump, or a pat on the back, but I figured that would probably earn some unwanted attention by security guards. One of my favorite aspects of this whole performance was being able to see the boys' personalities come out on stage. There were several times that I caught the boys, Isaac, Tom, and Sam in particular, cracking up at one another as they attempted to withhold laughter at something, that I'm sure, was hilarious that took place backstage. At one point in Isaac's hilarious "lapse of professionalism" he looked at Robert and literally wiped the smile off of his face with a look of terror.The last song the boys performed was "America the Beautiful", and I found myself in a state of admiration and borderline hypnosis, as the show drew to an end. I was so disappointed when I was brought out of my trance, and realized it was over. It was like a drug ( I think. Never tried 'em), and I craved more.

Luckily, the night was not completely over, as there was an autograph line. I actually felt a little nervous that I was about to meet some of my favorite musical artists. As the boys took their seats Tom, who was at the back of the line, attempted to rush ahead of some of the other boys and take a seat by Cassius, but was wrangled in by one of the chaperones and redirected to his spot in the autograph line. He was briefly chastised by the chaperone, but he seemed to take it well as he gave a mischievous smirk after she walked away.The little incident was quite hilarious. I felt so sorry for poor Joseph, as he must have forgotten to replace the lid on his permanent marker because had a large green mark on his face that he attempted to conceal as we passed by. I asked Mark how his brother Michael was and his response was, "He's good. He cares too much about his hair." Hilarious. I had the opportunity to talk to all of the boys, all of whom were polite, courteous, grateful, and engaging. It was obvious that they are truly grateful for their fans, and the awesome opportunity that they have.

I left the Tobin last night in a state of euphoria, and I am still experiencing the residual effects of that feeling today. I had such a great time, and I cannot wait to see Libera again. My only hope is that the choir's popularity will grow, so that more people can witness how fantastic this group is. Tell all your friends and family about the "Angel Voices"! They are truly an inspiration.
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Post by alcesalcesobservator »

wpgoalie03 wrote:I attended my first Live Libera performance last night in San Antonio, and I cannot adequately express how great this experience was for me. It was absolutely phenomenal.
Thanks so much for the review! I really enjoyed the little stories.
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Post by alcesalcesobservator »

Libera's Visit to the Texas Children's Choir. Nice pics and short video clip. On the Texas Children's Choir FB page, Alex Rocca said "Amazing gesture from LIBERA by inviting the Texas Children's Choir to the "Libera Party - Texas Style" on Friday, the night before their concert at the Tobin Center. Can't wait to see them!"
[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]
Last edited by alcesalcesobservator on Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

wpgoalie03 wrote: I cannot adequately express how great this experience was for me. It was absolutely phenomenal. I left the Tobin last night in a state of euphoria, and I am still experiencing the residual effects of that feeling today.
My feelings exactly - yet this was my 59th Libera concert. The magic never palls. If anything, it gets better.

Many thanks for your nice review and sharing your experience.

For the benefit of Dani, the set was the same as Boston with no new surprises. Despite being in the program, Lucas is not present on tour. I don't know the reason for his absence but I understand there is no cause for concern, though we will,of course, miss his presence on tour.
Last edited by john45 on Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
henrylonghorn

Post by henrylonghorn »

I've enjoyed reading the well-written accounts of the concerts, and I'm very happy to finally be able to post my own. Please forgive any mistakes that may follow.

The San Antonio concert was my very first Libera concert. Words cannot describe my excitement as the angels entered the stage. Slowly, twenty yards away stood those who have produced my daily soundtrack.

As they sang, I mouthed the words with them; they were all too familiar. I clapped as loudly as I could, though applause was never enough to convey my appreciation for such a breathtaking performance. Libera, please come back to Texas soon!

Overall impression:

Choristers: The fact that newbies made up a quarter of the choir made me nervous at first. My doubts cleared as I saw how confident and excited they were. The boys were well-rehearsed and ready to perform; nobody was lost between the songs. The younger choir composition made some songs (Sanctus, Song of Life, How Great Thou Art, Orinoco Flow, Exsultate, etc.) sound truly ethereal. However, many were suffering from the cold. My heart was bleeding seeing them trying to cover up coughs and runny noses.

Song selection: The songs were the same as the Boston concert. I appreciate the return of the very emotional “Going Home,” as well as the playful “Orinoco Flow” and “Exsultate.” I think Mr. Prizeman wanted to kill two birds with one stone: 1) promote older albums to new fans and 2) prove to old fans that today’s Libera is at least as good as the Libera that performed in front of many dignitaries around 2008.

Stage: The boys had to adapt to a much larger stage than the one they had in Boston. It was much easier to form full arcs. On the contrary, some boys still stood really close together when forming groups of six; they had difficulty moving their arms up and down without accidentally striking their friends. I really liked the setting for “Danny Boy.” Isaac knelt on the right side facing Mr. Prizeman, and after the first verse, Alessandro and Sam slowly walked to Isaac’s side, accompanying him with high and low parts.

Lighting: The technician timed the lights very well. Unlike the D.C. concert, the lights were more often shone directly onto the boys than into mid-air. Dramatic moments were marked by strong white lights, which made the boys look very powerful and heavenly. I had not seen a better-executed lighting used in a musical setting.

Audience: People were generally very respectful though reserved (applause only) until the very end. I assumed many were new to Libera because much of the merchandise and CDs were sold at the end of the concert.

Impression by chorister:

Marc: He was very into the singing.

Shay: He sang in a very composed manner.

Ciaran: I was more than impressed by his experience and expertise. He carried his solo parts pretty much perfectly. I love his soft and sweet voice and genuine yet confident delivery. At the signing he sat by Isaac at the front of the line. They looked like brothers. I hope they would stay in Libera for a long time.

Merlin: I was not very good at picking out and evaluating individual voices from the harmonies, but he particularly impressed me with his enthusiasm. From his confident smile throughout the concert, I would assume that he did his parts well. I can see him becoming a Libera soloist in a few years.

Ben B: He performed well considering that he’s the youngest one. I was wrong to worry that he could have been confused by all the stage movements (the stage got very dark in between songs.) He was happy that I greeted him by name; he said that not many people know him yet. Well, keep up the good work, and you’ll be in the Libera Hall of Fame in no time!

Gabe: Unlike those who attended the Boston concert, I was expecting his solo in “Always with You.” He had great intonation. There are some room for improvement of course, but he will have plenty of time.

Tom DL: His impeccable execution of “O for a Wings of a Dove” was a highlight of the concert. His clear and controlled voice captivated the entire hall; I was literally on the edge of my seat. I appreciate Mr. Prizeman for giving him a song all to himself. As we know, Tom is thirteen and might not be able to sing treble for much longer. The same compliments apply to his numerous solo parts and descants. Hearing him in person made me believe that he is one of the top Libera soloists of all time.

Alex G: Like many other young treble voices, I had a hard time pinpointing his own. Still, I love how spirited he was. In one of the songs, he smiled so wide that I thought God was right before him. I want to call him “The Smile of Libera” as he reminds me of how Josh used to sing.

Adam: He performed very confidently also.

Matt J: I sat near the front so I could hardly see him for the most of the concert. The lower parts were respectfully done for songs like “America the Beautiful,” though of course not as pronounced as in the D.C. recording. He was really nice to talk to, and I hope he will stay for another few years.

Tim: He was very connected with the music. He’s been with the choir for some time, and I’d like to see him getting a more prominent role.

Isaac: His performance this concert assured me that he deserves all of the recent publicity from Libera. His volume, intonation, articulation, and everything else amazed me, not to mention he did this all in kneeling position! The nervous hand movements from the D.C. recording were gone as well. He carried “Going Home” so well that I was moved to tears, unable to believe that this Libera classic can come back with full force. It was beautiful watching Isaac and Mr. Prizeman (figuratively) speak without words during “Danny Boy.” Isaac’s eyes were as if saying “I got this” as he precisely followed the baton to the last beat. Throughout all of his solos, I caught only one slightly-out-of-pitch note. Lastly, I must praise his down-to-earth-ness during the meet and greet!

Alessandro: He is a rising star. He’s got a smooth singing voice as well as the skills. He took over Sam's solos for “Wayfaring Stranger” and “How Great Thou Art” (perhaps not so long ago) and did them superbly. He harmonized quite well also. His coughing before a solo led me to think that he would have done even better without the cold.

Matt M: His presence on stage seemed reassuring both to the young ones and to me. It was nice seeing the young ones cluster around him, one of the tallest guys there.

James: He was very well-prepared for this concert. What can go wrong when you already have so many relatives in Libera?

Michael M: He played a great supporting role, but could probably take a solo or two in the near future.

Alex M: I had overlooked him until now. He supplied many high notes in "Voca Me" and "Salva Me" (and maybe other songs) with satisfactory precision. It must have been a nerve-wrecking task because these notes were unaccompanied and spontaneous. His handling showed great potential for future solo roles.

Cassius: Our good old extremely old Cassius was an impressive spokesperson of Libera. He was remembered for his well-phrased speeches that made the rather reserved audience laugh. I was of course delighted to meet him and have him sign on top of himself on the Christmas Album. He commented that he’s the only one remaining out of the five boys. Please, stay with Libera for as long as you can!

Taichi: He was confident and spirited, great qualities to look for in newbies. He seemed well-rehearsed also, for both the songs and the speeches.

Camden: He sang the solo to “Lullaby” well. The notes were right-on, and the execution was commendable. Still, I was surprised by how deep his part was compared to Josh’s. Did Mr. Prizeman move the melody down an octave?

Rocco: He was also afflicted by a cold, coughing multiple times in between songs. I was glad to see him overcome it as he sang.

Mark: He was obviously very happy to sing on stage. I hope he will someday be better than his brother Michael UR.

Joseph: He seemed to fit in Libera very well.

Sam: I felt quite bad seeing this recently featured soloist placed in the back corner and stripped of his solos. As we have seen from the D.C. recording and the WWI videos, Sam is a very capable singer with a unique voice. I couldn’t tell if his voice broke when I met him. Maybe Mr. Prizeman just needed his expertise for the lower parts, as nobody over 14-years-old was on this tour?

Lucas: Where was he? I was looking forward to seeing him. He sang very well on the D.C. recording.

Josh*: His calm composure made me believe that he was pleased with the younger generation’s performance of his solos, notably “Going Home” and “Lullaby.”
Hark, we hear a distant music and it comes with fuller swell
’tis the glorious song of heaven and our fears it will dispel.

Concerts attended: 8 | Last concert: NYC (2023)

https://twitter.com/HenryLiberaBlog
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOluil ... dUezvPVhDA
LuxVenit
Silver Member

Post by LuxVenit »

Reading the reviews you guys have posted is making me more and more excited, but more nervous too! If my ride cancels on my I think I might do something extreme...gah.

One question - I'm assuming there have been meet and greets (signings, whatever you want to call them) at these concerts, but when have they occurred? Are they announced before the concert and happen after, or do you just hear of them and show up? I haven't looked at the concert info on the Libera website, which would probably help, but I was just curious. It would be neat to attend one, but not completely necessary for me anyway. Since I'm driving 6+ hours though I'd like to get as much out of the experience as I can! I can't wait!!!
“My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary.” ― Martin Luther
hiskeys
Silver Member

Post by hiskeys »

wpgoalie03 -

"I attended my first Live Libera performance last night in San Antonio, and I cannot adequately express how great this experience was for me. It was absolutely phenomenal."

I'm so happy for you. You might want to consider sharing your 'euphoria' by also posting (perhaps a shorter version) on Libera's website guestbook area -
http://www.libera.org.uk

or the US site under Guest Blog
https://libera.org/category/guest-blog/
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

LuxVenit wrote:One question - I'm assuming there have been meet and greets (signings, whatever you want to call them) at these concerts, but when have they occurred? Are they announced before the concert and happen after, or do you just hear of them and show up? I haven't looked at the concert info on the Libera website, which would probably help, but I was just curious. It would be neat to attend one, but not completely necessary for me anyway. Since I'm driving 6+ hours though I'd like to get as much out of the experience as I can! I can't wait!!!
The answer to your question can be found here and here.

So it will probably be announced in the program.

If unsure, just follow the crowd :wink:
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Thanks to everybody for taking the time to write about your experiences, it is much appreciated for those of us who didn't get to go. For those of you who were going for the first time I'm glad the concert was everything you hoped it would be.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

Thank you all for the reviews. This little mister Montoro makes me curious like a little mister London in 2011 did :wink: I'm interested in how Alexander will evolve from now.

Strange that one Ustynovich-Repa brother left the choir at such a young age and another Ustynovich-Repa brother stays inside the choir.
Also..I'm brooding about the fact that Matthew Madine never sang a solo......
henrylonghorn wrote: Sam: I couldn’t tell if his voice broke when I met him. Maybe Mr. Prizeman just needed his expertise for the lower parts, as nobody over 14-years-old was on this tour?
If that were the reason Robert would have chosen a boy who has had no solos (so far). When a boy's voice begins to change you can't hear it in his speaking-voice always.
Thunderhawk261
Silver Member

Post by Thunderhawk261 »

Despite being in the program, Lucas is not present on tour. I don't know the reason for his absence but I understand there is no cause for concern, though we will,of course, miss his presence on tour.
I didn't notice until after I had left the venue, but some cheeky boy had written "Secret Moose" as an autograph under Lucas' photo in my program.
Surpinto
Platinum Member

Post by Surpinto »

Yorkie wrote:Thanks to everybody for taking the time to write about your experiences, it is much appreciated for those of us who didn't get to go. For those of you who were going for the first time I'm glad the concert was everything you hoped it would be.
I second this sentiment. It was a pleasure to read all of these wonderful reviews. Sometimes I read things here but forget to say "thank you" while the original posters are probably wondering if anyone read or appreciated what they took the time to share. The answer is a resounding yes!
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Surpinto wrote:
Yorkie wrote:Thanks to everybody for taking the time to write about your experiences, it is much appreciated for those of us who didn't get to go. For those of you who were going for the first time I'm glad the concert was everything you hoped it would be.
I second this sentiment. It was a pleasure to read all of these wonderful reviews. Sometimes I read things here but forget to say "thank you" while the original posters are probably wondering if anyone read or appreciated what they took the time to share. The answer is a resounding yes!
Here's a nice review from the Yahoo group (link didn't seem to work).
Thanks Frank.

I had a long novel written about the concert and hit a wrong button and POOOF! So I'll try again.

This was the first live concert of Libera I have attended and have only one word to describe it - utterly fantastic!!! (OK, so that's two words, but it really was). The open strains of the first selection, Joyful, Joyful moved me to tears and I sat in rapture through the entire performance. Since I am not familiar with the boys and who did solos, I will merely give my general impressions of the wonders I beheld based on my experiences teaching music in the public schools.

Watching a video or listening to their music on a CD is NOTHING compared to seeing them perform live! The entire experience of the live performance is almost overwhelming. How can a groups of 24 boys (mostly pre-teens) create such exquisite and heavenly music? It defies all explanation.
The Tobin Center is small, yet eloquent performing hall surrounded by the bustle and business of downtown San Antonio. It is within easy walking distance of the Alamo and other much visited sites, but the night of the Libera concert, it was in a world of it's own. The acoustics were fantastic and I don't think there was a bad seat in the house. Unfortunately, there were some of the seats that were not filled that evening. But there was a very good sized crowd who were extremely receptive to the group.
Not everyone in attendance know exactly who Libera was. In fact, several I talked to had never heard the music. They were there because a friend invited them, or they got an email from someone suggesting the concert to them. I'm certain that many of those "unwashed" became converts that night.
I met people from all over including several parts of Texas, Oklahoma, Boston, Washington DC, Atlanta, New York City, Canada, Mexico and even a family from Japan. I'm sure if I was able to meet this wide of a group, there were probably many other cities and states (and countries?). I overheard two couples talking during intermission and they had both attended over 40 Libera Concerts! There were also members from numerous childrens choirs in attendance. In fact, there was an entire choral group from one organization present. Some boys from other groups wearing shirts with their choir group's names, etc. It was a shame there weren't even more aspiring children singers there to witness what dedication and hard work can accomplish.
The boys did a fantastic job and I know I sat mesmerized on the edge of my seat through the entire evening. The audience was a little slow welcoming the boys to the stage, but quickly warmed to them as they performed and finished with elation and standing ovations. Many times I heard gasps of excitement and disbelief as the boys reached new heights of musical expression throughout the concert.
As in any live performance, they were a few very minor issues with pitch (during a couple of solos), and miscues in stage movement, but, after all they are boy performing in front of 1500 adults, many of whom consider themselves as Libera "experts". Many of the issues were not even noticeable to those who have not had extensive musical training.
I personally found the newer pieces astonishingly exquisite: Wayfaring Stranger, Amazing Grace and America the Beautiful soared to unbelievable reaches. That is not to say that the more familiar pieces were not just as good. However, as the makeup of the group has changed and changed voice parts have been added, they sound different (in a very good way). Don't know if that makes any sense, but that is what I thought at the time.
Whoever had the boys do the narrations had a stroke of genius! The audience loved it. I realize that they have been doing this previously because I remember of their very first DVD a couple of the boys actually read off of cards a couple times. But, since then the narrations have grown and included several during the performance.Even when there were a few instances of memory lapse, it only endeared the speakers even more to the audience. I think it showed that these very talented performers were still boys and not performing robots.
Speaking of Narration, from the reaction of the audience - especially the mothers and grandmothers around me, there is a new rising star of adorability (?) in Libera. Even though he is a new member on his first tour, he shows an immense degree of stage presence and self-assurance. He is the shortest in stature, but his face glows with a smile that adds feet to his height and years to his experience. As one of the mothers (who was also a teacher) said during intermission. "He is so cute he could away with anything!" Keep an eye out for Taichi Shinokubo. You'll know him when you see him in pictures and videos. For someone so short, he's impossible to miss!
The Meet and Greet seemed to go well. Even though the boys had been on stage for almost two hours, only one looked like he was about to fall asleep (not that I could blame him). I joked with him about being bored after that brought a sly smile to his face we talked about how much energy and effort had to be put into a quality performance. Of course he was tired and it was very understandably why. They patiently signed their pictures and posed for pictures for the patrons and guests. (Want to guess who probably had his picture taken the most during the session?) I was at the very end of the line and was amazed to see that the boys were still attentive and seemed to be full of energy. Many of the older boys actively engaged the audience guests, thanking them for coming to the concert and asking or answering questions asked. Some of the younger ones seemed to have lost some interest, They signed their names, passed the books on to the next and chatted with their friends sitting close to them. It was slightly disturbing to see a large security guard standing in the middle of the room watching everyone - disturbing, but unfortunately understandable.
It appeared that the Libera items John and his helper had on display were selling very well. I chose to purchase my items before the performance and was glad of it. By the end of the concert, numerous pieces were sold out. I went back to secure a moose and they were all gone. (A word to the wise for future concert attendees. Also, these items are available as cash only, so go prepared.) Unfortunately, as John makes clear in several articles and on his blog site, ticket sales and souvenir sales do NOT cover the multitude of expenses involved in organizing a concert tour such as this one. If you check out John's web site (libera.org.) and check out the store or donation areas you will see how the expenses add up very quickly.

I realize how fortunate I am to have been able to attend a live concert of Libera. It can be an extremely expensive enterprise from many of us. Sometimes it takes months or years of planning, saving, of making payments on credit cards to afford just this one night of heaven, but believe me, it is worth all of that and much more. Please understand, that if I can manage it with the extremely limited resources, just about anyone can. Just as Libera accomplishes the near impossible through dedication and hard work, so can you. It may be too late for this trip, but there will be other concerts and tours in the future and I'm certain your response to your first one will be just as fantastic as mine.

BTW - attached is a copy of the San Antonio program

Frank Stuart