Other Choirs, Singers, Musicians that you like

Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

maartendas
Diamond Member

Re: Other Choirs, Singers, Musicians that you like

Post by maartendas »

@Lumi: Thanks :)
Haha, he did - like he said - seem rather shocked when he sang his solo but he did a wonderful job :)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Post by alcesalcesobservator »

Just as a F.Y.I, the girl group "Cimmorelli" posted on their FB page a short clip of them trying out Libera's arrangement of "Be Still My Soul", before hitting a wrong note and dissolving in giggles.
Lumi
Silver Member

Post by Lumi »

Evensong from New College - their last BBC broadcast with Edward Higginbottom it would seem – is still available until the end of this week. Purcell and Bach.

Also came across some footage from St Paul's – a broadcast from last year of the Templeton Prize awarding ceremony. Very well recorded and filmed, which is nice since there aren't too many recordings of the choir from the past few years.

Skip to 28:15 for Hadley's My Beloved Spake and to 1:23:05 for Britten's Jubilate Deo in C. Good stuff. :D

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Lumi wrote:
Also came across some footage from St Paul's – a broadcast from last year of the Templeton Prize awarding ceremony. Very well recorded and filmed, which is nice since there aren't too many recordings of the choir from the past few years.
Thanks Lumi, just got round to watching this. I particularly liked the part where the Dalai Lama kept tapping the mikes as the Dean of St P's was trying to speak. LOL funny!
Last edited by Yorkie on Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Lumi
Silver Member

Post by Lumi »

Yorkie wrote:Thanks Lumi, just got round to watching this. I particularly liked the part where the Dalai Lama kept tapping the mikes as the Dean of St P's was trying to speak. LOL funny!
:mrgreen: Also a funny scene when the Dalai Lama is meeting the choristers after the ceremony.

I guess you may already know of this, but New College Choir are publishing a free recording every month from now to August, the first one (Greene's Lord Let Me Know Mine End) was published earlier this week. There's also a seven-minute commentary on the recording by Edward Higginbottom. I could listen to him speaking for hours. :D

http://www.newcollegechoir.com/1/post/2 ... loads.html

Meanwhile across the town, Christ Church Cathedral Choir are trying out a new choral tutorial project. So here is a relatively rare glimpse of the choir, singing Faure's Libera Me. On the website of the project you can find a 20-minute rehearsal clip, recordings of each voice part and short tutorials by singers from each of the SATB voices.

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Lumi wrote: :mrgreen: Also a funny scene when the Dalai Lama is meeting the choristers after the ceremony.
YES! A naughty thought crossed my mind as to what Barbara & Eleanor would do if the Dalai Lama manhandled one of the Libera boys in such a familiar way!!! :lol:
Lumi wrote:I guess you may already know of this, but New College Choir are publishing a free recording every month from now to August, the first one (Greene's Lord Let Me Know Mine End) was published earlier this week. There's also a seven-minute commentary on the recording by Edward Higginbottom. I could listen to him speaking for hours. :D
Yes thanks. I'm very nervous about the future sans Mr H
Lumi wrote:Meanwhile across the town, Christ Church Cathedral Choir are trying out a new choral tutorial project. So here is a relatively rare glimpse of the choir, singing Faure's Libera Me. On the website of the project you can find a 20-minute rehearsal clip, recordings of each voice part and short tutorials by singers from each of the SATB voices.
Good find, enjoyed that. good Baritone on the Libera Me - sounds just like me :D

Mercy & Love
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

To be fair people were manhandling the Dalai Lama coming and going, begging for his touch. His merest touch is thought to bring a lifetime of blessings. They got their picture taken with the Dalai Lama. If they got their picture taken with the Archbishop of Canterbury and happened to show it on their travels around the world, a few people would know what it means. If they show their picture with the Dalai Lama on their travels around the world, pretty much everyone is going to know what it means.
Lumi
Silver Member

Post by Lumi »

Many congratulations to former King's organ scholar Robert Quinney, who has been appointed Director of the Choir of New College Oxford. Quinney succeeds Edward Higginbottom, Organist at New College for nearly forty years.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Quinney
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

The end of days..... :wink:

Mercy & Love
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

April the 1st, eh?
PaulWSpaceRockDodger

Post by PaulWSpaceRockDodger »

Among the various great videos produced by the King's College Cambridge Choir, I highly recommend the choir's ongoing series of short interviews with their choirboys under the title, "Meet the Choristers":

These videos are aimed at potential recruits and their parents (for whom the video theme, "Give your child a voice", resonates nicely), but they are also an effective way of communicating with fans. It would be wonderful to see a similar series of video interviews with Libera's members!
Lumi
Silver Member

Post by Lumi »

Helium Miserere was the most hilarious thing I've seen in a while. :lol:

The Choir of Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford are on their USA Tour, and their concert this evening will be broadcasted live. Midnight UK time – I don't think it will be available later.

http://www.wdav.org/26_269_509.cfm?do=view&id=676
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Lumi wrote:Helium Miserere was the most hilarious thing I've seen in a while. :lol:

The Choir of Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford are on their USA Tour, and their concert this evening will be broadcasted live. Midnight UK time – I don't think it will be available later.

http://www.wdav.org/26_269_509.cfm?do=view&id=676
Oh no, I missed it :(

#edit# But the good news is the second link has a podcast :D

Might be interesting to catch up with their blog of the tour too - I remember that the one they did a couple of years ago was enjoyable with lots of music, videos and interesting insights:

Tour blog

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Not a choir that has featured much on here. Not sure what I make of the pieces that mix soprano & trebles...

Jesus College Choir

Mercy & Love
Lumi
Silver Member

Post by Lumi »

A few pieces of music I wanted to share...

First an older recording I came across just two days ago: St Paul's Choristers singing an excerpt from Boyce's 20-minute anthem Lord, Thou Hast Been Our Refuge in 1979:

http://barryrose.co.uk/mp3pages/stpauls-boyce.html

Then continuing with the theme of treble voices – an exceptionally good recording of John Ireland's Ex Ore Innocentium by Well's Cathedral Choir:

And finally something that definitely has a place on my list of best recordings of anything ever (though I still have yet to come up with an actual list), King's under Willocks singing Rejoice in the Lamb. :D I had to upload it when I noticed it was missing from Youtube: