The Joy of Libera's Descants

Talk about Libera here in.

Moderator: Moderators

PaulWSpaceRockDodger

The Joy of Libera's Descants

Post by PaulWSpaceRockDodger »

One of the most charming aspects of boys' choirs in general, and Libera in particular, is the use of descants, defined by one commentator as "the counter-melodies that are sung at a higher pitch than the main melody". I am not a musical expert, but to me it seems that there are at least two different types of descants: those that are sung by several boys, and those that are sung as solos. An example of a descant soloist is Liam Connery, whose spectacular rendition of a solo descant many years ago (at the Leiden, Netherlands concert?) can still be enjoyed on video. On the other hand, the choreography of a song sometimes places a descant soloist behind the other boys, so it is sometimes difficult to see who is doing the solo. For example, at a Libera concert in Toronto in April 2011 that I attended, there was a wonderful descant solo that I believe was performed by Matthew Rangel-Alvares. As I said, I am not a musical expert, so I would welcome commentaries on descants by more knowledgeable Libera fans, as I would like to deepen my understanding of this impressive element in Libera's music.
Amie_Hill
Silver Member

Re: The Joy of Libera's Descants

Post by Amie_Hill »

I'm also a lover of Libera descants, and a section called "On a High Note" in Part One of the Libera Historical Timeline
http://liberatimeline.blogspot.com/
includes the great descant singers, with links to recordings or videos.

In my opinion, the greatest of all so far was Joe Platt. If you check out the "Free" CD, he can be heard on the original "Voca Me" and "Adoramus," not to mention on the lead vocal of "Stay With Me," with Joe Sanders-Wilde on the descant. Joe P. could do it all—breathtaking harmonies (to Ben Crawley's lead) in songs like "Do not Stand at My Grave and Weep," solo lines as in "when a Knight Won His Spurs," amazing descants in "Vespera/Te Lucis," and "I am the Day," not to mention holding up the high end on choral numbers.

Not far behind him is Tom Cully, another one who could do it all. Conor O' Donnell had a great descant voice, but was not often featured in that capacity. Ditto Steven Geraghty and Ben Crawley. Adam Harris, Joe Snelling, and Matthew Rangel-Alvarez were all excellent, as were Liam Connery and Ed Day on their rare descant solos. Of current descantors, Tom Delgado-Little at the moment has the range, but has not yet developed the magic. Michael Ustynovych-Repa also had great descant skills, but is no longer with the group.

Now who did I leave out?
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Amie_Hill wrote:
Tom Delgado-Little at the moment has the range, but has not yet developed the magic.
I take it you have yet to hear Tom's "Voca Me" and "I'm Dreaming of Home". Both "magical".
In my opinion, Tom D-L has undoubtedly one of the best and most magical descant and solo voices of any Libera member, past or present.

Who did you miss?
Dylan Duffy has most ably taken over Jacob de Menezes-Wood's erstwhile descant role in "Sanctus".
Last edited by john45 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Amie_Hill wrote: In my opinion, the greatest of all so far was Joe Platt. If you check out the "Free" CD, he can be heard on the original "Voca Me" and "Adoramus," not to mention on the lead vocal of "Stay With Me," with Joe Sanders-Wilde on the descant. Joe P. could do it all—breathtaking harmonies (to Ben Crawley's lead) in songs like "Do not Stand at My Grave and Weep," solo lines as in "when a Knight Won His Spurs," amazing descants in "Vespera/Te Lucis," and "I am the Day," not to mention holding up the high end on choral numbers.

The Joe Platt/Joe Sanders-Wilde "Stay With Me" question is interesting. Clearly the excellent video filmed in the basement of The Roundhouse (iirc) shows both Joes in the parts you describe but I have heard it said that Joe Platt sang both the lead vocal + the descant on the recording and Joe S-W was given the role purely for the aesthetics of the video (which is of course re dubbed with the studio recording after the filming). This is possibly of borne out by the credits for the album which only mention Joe Platt.

I would love to know if it is true but it is one of my favourites regardless. And I have to agree with John about Thomas D-L - I think he has astounding quality now (at what? 11?) give him a couple of years and...
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Amie_Hill
Silver Member

Post by Amie_Hill »

I would absolutely love to hear Tom D-L sing the descants in "Voca Me" and "I'm Dreaming of Home," and expect them to be wonderful when they appear in some form or other this year. You'll notice my phrasing: "at the moment" and "has not yet," indicating that Tom is a work in progress, or at least was IMO at the time of the Christmas DVD recording, which, along with the "Big Sing" and US TV appearances, is all I have seen/heard of his singing.

Tom did a marvelous job on the DVD, considering the pressure all the singers were under, but unlike Michael U-R, Isaac London, Ben Fairman, Sam Wiggin, and the other boys close to his age, he seemed to be producing the notes without being caught up in the music, and did not appear to be enjoying himself much. I'm assuming that his voice and stage presence have continued to develop (noticeable on the "Tonight" show), and that he soon will have (or has already) gotten to the point where he can relax and just let those beautiful notes soar. I imagine that at the St. George's concert in December, he felt much more at home and I know from reviews how impressed the lucky concertgoers were and are.

Regarding the "Stay With Me" video, Both Joe Platt and Joe Sanders-Wilde are credited on the comprehensive AngelVoices site database as soloists in the video. I've heard the stories about Joe S-W faking the singing, which seems like a very un-Libera thing to do, but who knows, except those directly concerned?

Either way, Libera's past and future descant singers are impressive.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

I see you are tough to impress Amie!

Tom's ability to hit those pure high notes is breath taking. When the Voca Me filmed at Armagh is released I think even you will be pleasantly surprised at how excellent it was. I don't agree about him not feeling the music; I think he is just very focused when he performs and shows a surprising amount of concentration for his age. A lot like Isaac actually. But the behind the scenes stuff shows that he clearly enjoys being in Libera and is having fun.

We seem to be blessed with a good group of boys at the moment with a lot of talent and with a bit of luck they'll stay together like the class of 2007 - and if they do we'll be in for some vocal fireworks :D

Re the "Stay With Me" video - I don't think it would be faking. Joe S-W could have sung the part and then they dub over the studio track from the CD. That is just how videos are made (think O Sanctissima by mini Ben for SoP - we know when it was filmed and Ben wasn't singing those notes at the time). Maybe I'll get the chance to ask RP one day and find out the truth :wink:
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Amie_Hill wrote:You'll notice my phrasing: "at the moment" and "has not yet," indicating that Tom is a work in progress, or at least was IMO at the time of the Christmas DVD recording, which, along with the "Big Sing" and US TV appearances, is all I have seen/heard of his singing.

I really don't know how you can use such phrasing "at the moment" and "has not yet" based on such limited knowledge or actual experience of his live performances.

"...... he seemed to be producing the notes without being caught up in the music, and did not appear to be enjoying himself much. '''

Same applies to this statement.

Were you there? How can you reach such a conclusion based on a few random camera shots?

I suggest you read some of the reviews on this forum of his live performances over the past 18 months written by those who were actually there. Despite his tender years, Tom has been a major force in Libera for at least that long and puts both heart and soul into his singing, even though it may sometimes appear effortless.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but negative comments that have no basis in fact are not helpful, especially if they get back to the individual concerned
Last edited by john45 on Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amie_Hill
Silver Member

Post by Amie_Hill »

Well, everyone, I have been thoroughly taken to task (in a private message) by John, who seems to think that I should "retract my remarks" about Tom Delgado Little's DVD performance. So, no problem, I hereby abjectly apologize to Tom, John, and anyone else who thinks my subjective observations were out of line as part of discussion in a public forum. (Obviously the positive comments didn't register.)
PaulWSpaceRockDodger

Post by PaulWSpaceRockDodger »

I have enjoyed everyone's comments in the preceding exchange of views on Libera's glorious descants. While people have different perspectives about individual singers, what unites us as Libera fans is an appreciation of all the boys, their wonderful dedication, and their evolution as singers under the direction of Robert Prizeman.
Horticult2000

Post by Horticult2000 »

I agree with Yorkie, the present group is comprised of an exceptional set of boys with Thomas D-L as the best example. He may seem disenfranchised, but in concert his pokerface hides his professionalism. Not only does he do the descants as one of the best I know of, but during concerts I see him taking the whole group to a higher level if necessary. For instance during the Channel Islands tour several experienced boys had left and the remaining group was not exactly up to their usual level. Thomas and Matthew Jansen went the extra bit and caused the concerts to be successful.
Lauren
Silver Member

Post by Lauren »

I just read this thread and would like to say a word about Tom Delgado-Little.
Amie_Hill wrote:I would absolutely love to hear Tom D-L sing the descants in "Voca Me" and "I'm Dreaming of Home," and expect them to be wonderful when they appear in some form or other this year. You'll notice my phrasing: "at the moment" and "has not yet," indicating that Tom is a work in progress, or at least was IMO at the time of the Christmas DVD recording, which, along with the "Big Sing" and US TV appearances, is all I have seen/heard of his singing.

Tom did a marvelous job on the DVD, considering the pressure all the singers were under, but unlike Michael U-R, Isaac London, Ben Fairman, Sam Wiggin, and the other boys close to his age, he seemed to be producing the notes without being caught up in the music, and did not appear to be enjoying himself much. I'm assuming that his voice and stage presence have continued to develop (noticeable on the "Tonight" show), and that he soon will have (or has already) gotten to the point where he can relax and just let those beautiful notes soar. I imagine that at the St. George's concert in December, he felt much more at home and I know from reviews how impressed the lucky concertgoers were and are.
I first saw Tom D-L on the US Summer 2011 Tour. He was maybe 8-9 years old then. The solos at the time were sung by Ralph, Daniel, Jakob, Eoghan, Freddie, Luke, and even Josh on "Eternal Light." Who knew that the little newbies there had the voices we're all enjoying sing solos now? Robert Prizeman sure did!

At the Armagh DVD-recording concert, I was blown away by Tom's voice. There are so many great voices in this group of boys, but Tom was shining. He was no "work in progress." My only complaint about the DVD is that there should've been fewer shots of the audience and more of Tom. There are times that he is singing those stellar high notes, but you don't realize it because you can't see that it's he. He is a star, and I told his dad so that night. Hopefully the camera will be on Tom more when we get to see "Voca Me."

As to whether or not he appears to be enjoying himself, I can promise you he is. He's quite lively and funny at the M&G's. I have noticed through the years that many of the kids who normally wear glasses genuinely can't see well without them, so Tom kind of squints a bit while on stage. But talk to him at an M&G, and you can tell he's super sharp and with it. But really, I'm more amazed at how calm and cool he is on stage. I'm not sure why you think he needs to relax. He shows no nerves at all and just belts out those high notes like they're effortless. Maybe they are. :)

Oh, and you forgot to mention Lucas Wood in your list, another kid with a stellar voice that you may not notice because he also makes it look so easy. And yep, he's enjoying himself as well. :)

I really hope that you get to see Libera live. (I actually wish that happiness on everyone.) I promise that you will be stunned by what they sound like in person, and you will totally change your mind about Tom. I can't imagine what he's going to sound like at his peak. :shock:
http://www.mini-angels.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
alcesalcesobservator
Silver Member

Post by alcesalcesobservator »

As a performer myself, I can tell you that it is indeed possible to look blank, spaced out, or even cross while performing, and still be relaxed and having a lot of fun. It's just the concentration.
Amie_Hill
Silver Member

Post by Amie_Hill »

Thanks to all for the instructive, corrective, open-minded and enlightening remarks. It's been fun.