Other Choirs, Singers, Musicians that you like

Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

maartendas
Diamond Member

Re: Other Choirs, Singers, Musicians that you like

Post by maartendas »

To add to the Danny Boy topic: if you can find it, there is an excellent rendition of the song I Would Be True by treble Andrew Swait, then still a chorister in the Tewkesbury Abbey Choir, on the choir's CD Light of the World (released by Signum Records in 2005). It uses the Londonderry Air tune and as Wikipedia tells me, it was also sung at the funeral of Princess Diana.

These are the words:

I would be true, for there are those that trust me.
I would be pure, for there are those that care.
I would be strong, for there is much to suffer.
I would be brave, for there is much to dare.
I would be friend of all, the foe, the friendless.
I would be giving, and forget the gift,
I would be humble, for I know my weakness,
I would look up, and laugh, and love and live.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Lumi
Silver Member

Post by Lumi »

http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/calend ... ship/5019/

Duruflé's Requiem, as a part of today's Solemn Requiem at St Thomas. (Also includes Psalm 121 sung to the chant by Davies' – with a lovely treble soloist.)
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Magnificant. To listen to the opening hymn is to be wafted up to heaven on the currants of its notes.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Lumi wrote:http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/calend ... ship/5019/

Duruflé's Requiem, as a part of today's Solemn Requiem at St Thomas. (Also includes Psalm 121 sung to the chant by Davies' – with a lovely treble soloist.)
Loving that St Thomas Service. They have found a great balance in their sound recording (and lack of coughing from the choir and noise from the congregation). I'm off to find some of their CD's now - I've realised my collection of their music is sadly lacking.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

When I first heard this I would never have guessed it was by Rutter...

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]

From time to time RP adds a little link piece in to the start of the second half of the concert. At Guildford we had the magical Kyrie Eleison, and had previously heard Eoghan's stunning Attende Domine. On the way back from London today I listened to this track and couldn't help thinking that it would be perfect for Libera...

Christe Redemptor

Mercy & Love
Lumi
Silver Member

Post by Lumi »

I was about to come here to and flood this topic with the music of Ralph Vaughan Williams, and then I realised I had forgotten about this week's BBC3 evensong! Worth mentioning because it's sung by the choir of Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford, who of course are right up there with New College, King's and St John's even though perhaps less frequently heard of. And conviniently, the anthem is Valiant-for-Truth by Vaughan Williams.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03h3w00

So continuing with my original intention:

Mass in G minor, sung to perfection by ChChCh.

St Paul's – Let all the World (definitely on my short-list for the best recording of anything ever)

St Paul's – O Taste and See

I guess that's enough... For now. 8)
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Lumi wrote:

I guess that's enough... For now. 8)
No, not enough! More needed :-)

Great choices, appreciated the ChChCh particularly &would love to know what else makes up your list of best recordings ever

Mercy & Love
Lumi
Silver Member

Post by Lumi »

Well, what a brilliant coincidence. :D From St Thomas today Mass in G Minor & O Taste and See.

http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/calend ... ship/5020/

I'm not sure it's exactly an actual list that exists... I'll have to think about it. :mrgreen:
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

Faure's Requiem from Kings College is a wonderful piece which I found.

Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
Lumi
Silver Member

Post by Lumi »

I just attended the most amazing Britten concert at a nearby church. They finished with A Hymn to the Virgin with a solo quartet in the organ loft behind and above the audience, and the effect was incredible. Possibly the best concert I have ever attended.

I think this is the performance that comes the closest to their version that I was able to find on Youtube.

And then, of course, on this particular day posting Hymn to St Cecilia cannot be avoided :D :
Lumi
Silver Member

Post by Lumi »

With Christmas getting closer, there is already a whole bunch of great music to listen to online. Advent services are still available by New College, St John's & St Thomas. The carol service webcast by New College is also already online, and at St Thomas there will be a short carol service tonight, webcasted live.

But the one I particularly wanted to point out is this reconstruction of the very first Nine Lessons & Carols service from 1880 at Truro Cathedral from yesterday. It mostly includes hymns as well as some selections from Messiah.
https://soundcloud.com/truro-cathedral/ ... ith-carols

The choir is fantastic as always, and just have a listen to the second and third soloists (or are there four of them?) in 'There were shepherds abiding'. :D I wish they recorded more.

Looking forward to attending the Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols for the first time tonight here in Helsinki.
Szepilona
Silver Member

Post by Szepilona »

Lumi wrote:
But the one I particularly wanted to point out is this reconstruction of the very first Nine Lessons & Carols service from 1880 at Truro Cathedral from yesterday. It mostly includes hymns as well as some selections from Messiah.
First time I read that, I missed the "reconstruction" bit and I was really confused how there could be a recording from 1880! :lol: It makes more sense now! Thanks for sharing
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Has anyone else seen the Carol's service from King's College on Christmas Eve? I saw roughly the first half and was moved to tears by the performance of Once In Royal David's City. I wonder what the name of the soloist is but I couldn't find clips of it on Youtube yet.

ETA - I found the Youtube video: [BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]
Last edited by maartendas on Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Szepilona wrote:
Lumi wrote:
First time I read that, I missed the "reconstruction" bit and I was really confused how there could be a recording from 1880! :lol: It makes more sense now! Thanks for sharing
Tin cylinders!
Lumi
Silver Member

Post by Lumi »

maartendas wrote:Has anyone else seen the Carol's service from King's College on Christmas Eve? I saw roughly the first half and was moved to tears by the performance of Once In Royal David's City. I wonder what the name of the soloist is but I couldn't find clips of it on Youtube yet.
Yes, the soloist was excellent wasn't he. Looks like his name is Tom Pickard.