Other Choirs, Singers, Musicians that you like

Talk about other music related artists you like

Moderator: Moderators

Yorkie
Diamond Member

Re: Other Choirs, Singers, Musicians that you like

Post by Yorkie »

TullyBascombe wrote: What color would one choose for an Anglican choir if not red? Chartreuse? Fuscia? Magenta? There are only so many colors that would be appropriate. I suppose you could use blue, but surely not green or yellow.
Various shades of blue & black definitely, I have something lodged in my mind that says green (not overly sure on that one, maybe it was a Catholic choir or an American one :wink: #edit# nope, not losing it just YET ) and white of course.
TullyBascombe wrote:Looking around the internet Ive discovered the following English choirs other than the royal choirs and the Cambridge choirs wear red cassocks at least for some services: York Ministry, Lichfield Cathedral, Coventry Cathedral and Worchester Cathedral, and who knows about all the small church choirs that never get posted on YouTube.
I'm beginning to think that perhaps there is something more going on here - possibly to do with a specific shade of red. The wiki article specifically mentions scarlet so perhaps there is normal, boring red for 'ordinary' choirs and a certain racy shade of red for the 'Queen's boys'. That might explain both.
TullyBascombe wrote:It's ..... It's....... It's Republicanism I tell you. Do you want your children to sing the Marseilles? Do you want Boney fo your king? Yes! Yes! We do! ( Loud splash as Russell Crowe is thrown overboard. )
Oh dear heavens man, calm down and have a nice cup of tea - nothing to get excited about (of course, you need to make sure you pay the tax on that tea this time).
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Yorkie wrote: Various shades of blue & black definitely,
Why not just sell them to the mortician? Black was good enough for Oliver.
Yorkie wrote:
I'm beginning to think that perhaps there is something more going on here - possibly to do with a specific shade of red. The wiki article specifically mentions scarlet so perhaps there is normal, boring red for 'ordinary' choirs and a certain racy shade of red for the 'Queen's boys'. That might explain both.
If you scan videos of those choirs on YouTube some of those reds are definitely the same scarlet as New College or the Royal choirs, others are closer to burgundy.[quote="Yorkie"}

Oh dear heavens man, calm down and have a nice cup of tea - nothing to get excited about (of course, you need to make sure you pay the tax on that tea this time).[/quote]
Sorry, I'm a coffee drinker. Coffee's better for asthma.
Lumi
Silver Member

Post by Lumi »

Yorkie wrote:I'm beginning to think that perhaps there is something more going on here - possibly to do with a specific shade of red. The wiki article specifically mentions scarlet so perhaps there is normal, boring red for 'ordinary' choirs and a certain racy shade of red for the 'Queen's boys'. That might explain both.
This is my understanding of the matter as well – that a royal permission is required for a choir to wear the specific shade of scarlet.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

I think if you look at videos of the choirs I mentioned some of them seem to be wearing robes that pretty much could be described as scarlet. It's not like the crown forbids the general public from wearing scarlet. Anyway, one certainly wouldn't expect such a rule to apply outside of the United Kingdom.
Liesma

Post by Liesma »

I realy like Michael W. Smith, for example "Agnus Dei", "Above all" and "Our God is avesome God".
I like "Kelly Family", some songs by "Newsboys" and other singers and groups.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Liesma wrote:I realy like Michael W. Smith, for example "Agnus Dei", "Above all" and "Our God is avesome God".
What about Riga Dom Boys Choir?

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

TullyBascombe wrote:I think if you look at videos of the choirs I mentioned some of them seem to be wearing robes that pretty much could be described as scarlet. It's not like the crown forbids the general public from wearing scarlet. Anyway, one certainly wouldn't expect such a rule to apply outside of the United Kingdom.
I don't think YouTube and online photos can be relied upon to give an accurate colour reproduction Tully. From further research I have confirmed that 'Royal Scarlet' is specific shade of red that can only be worn by officials and choirs in Anglican churches with a Royal decree. The Queen can not prevent the general public from wearing a certain colour but, as Head of the Church of England, she can prevent her churches from using it. Whilst that control may not extend to the US, I suspect it might extend to Anglican churches in other Commonwealth countries such as Canada, Australia and New Zealand where she is also Head of State. In fact I'm not sure she can prevent her churches from wearing it, but as it is now an ancient tradition it would be respected and nobody would breach it.

I certainly didn't expect the 'rule' to apply in the States; as I explained before, it was just my sense of humour.

Mercy & Love
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Every national church that is a member of the Anglican Communion is completely autonomous. Each church has its own Prayer Book, its own Hymnal, its own structure. The relationship is completely voluntary. They share in certain basic creeds and rites. In theory a church that strayed too far from those basics might be disciplined in some sort of fashion. Remember the controversy over Bishop Robinson? Some member churches ( encouraged by certain outside influences ) attempted to supplant the Episcopal Church with one of their own choosing but the effort fell flat on its face because it is utterly canon in the Anglican Communion - members do not interfere in each others sovreign territory. So no, I don't think the Queen of England decrees the choir dress codes even in the churches of Commonwealth of Nations members. I've seen photos of celebratory events attended by the prelates of the Anglican communion, there isn't even a common dress code for the archbishops of the member churches.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Who knows Tully, you might actually be correct on that one. My comments came because when I was researching the 'Royal Scarlet' colour I noticed reference to certain Royal Peculiar churches in Canada & the fact that the Queen had appointed some Canadian clergy to be her personal priest which gave them the right to wear the scarlet cassocks.

Anyway, my interest is exhausted now that I have the answer about the red cassocks so I won't hijack this thread any further. Thanks for your thoughts and for the discussion.

Mercy & Love
Liesma

Post by Liesma »

Yorkie wrote:
Liesma wrote:I realy like Michael W. Smith, for example "Agnus Dei", "Above all" and "Our God is avesome God".
What about Riga Dom Boys Choir?
I don't listen them so often, but in last time sometime I listen them to compare with Libera. (If I can say that, because this is Liberas forum, sorry :oops: )
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Liesma wrote: I don't listen them so often, but in last time sometime I listen them to compare with Libera. (If I can say that, because this is Liberas forum, sorry :oops: )
Yes you can say :D no problem with that but if people disagree with you then expect them to say so. I don't think you can directly compare Libera to Riga Dom as they are very different in what they do. How popular are Riga Dom in Latvia?

Mercy & Love
Liesma

Post by Liesma »

Yorkie wrote:
Liesma wrote: I don't listen them so often, but in last time sometime I listen them to compare with Libera. (If I can say that, because this is Liberas forum, sorry :oops: )
Yes you can say :D no problem with that but if people disagree with you then expect them to say so. I don't think you can directly compare Libera to Riga Dom as they are very different in what they do. How popular are Riga Dom in Latvia?
I think that Riga Dom is quite popular. I am generally not interested for Riga Dom boy choir, so I can't say something more about it. But I know that many people like and are interesed in this choir.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Nice little video on the St John's website:

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]

Mercy & Love
Lumi
Silver Member

Post by Lumi »

BBC Radio 3 Evensong from St Paul's

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... Cathedral/

Introit: Hymn of St Godric (Britten)
Canticles: Chichester Service (Walton)
Anthem: Hymn to St Paul (Judith Bingham) (first performance)

Impressive treble solo in the Magnificat.

Also some exciting news from New College's Facebook page:
But it's back to work on Monday, when we'll be recording Mozart's Vesperae solennes do Dominica and Litaniae Lauretanae
And looks like they have changed their webcasting format to a new one that is not Flash-based, which is nice.
chris17

Post by chris17 »

This is the Gloria from Haydn's Nelson Mass - I just bought the album this is from, which I've been really enjoying lately. I was hoping to find the Kyrie and Benedictus on YouTube as well, but I couldn't seem to find any decent versions of them. I also liked a hymn that was included on the album, Insanae et Vanae Curae, and I found a different performance of that: