UK Concert Guildford May 11 2013

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

viabuona
Gold Member

Re: UK Concert Guildford May 11 2013

Post by viabuona »

Choirfan wrote:Yay! Count me in for this one.
Great! You made a good decision. :D
Poor Yorkie, I think Billy and confetti are getting weaker and weaker. :mrgreen:
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

After a hard days work I was very tired last night when I caught this thread about the concert in Guildford. I awoke this morning completely forgetting that the concert had been announced, and I had booked a hotel. I only remembered when I checked my email and saw the hotel conformation that the concert had been announced. What a nice surprise to wake to :)

Looking forward to meeting everyone again.
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

We won't be able to make this one. But we're hoping to make it to a UK concert in November, if there's one.
Have fun everyone who does go!
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Sue
Silver Member

Post by Sue »

Count me in for this concert, too.
Also booked the Mandolay hotel, which airport is nearest to Guildford?
viabuona
Gold Member

Post by viabuona »

Sue wrote:..which airport is nearest to Guildford?
After Google this would be Farnborough Airfield, Hampshire with a distance of 9,5 Miles. But maybe you should first take a look with wich company you will fly. Regarding schedule and prices :wink:
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Sue wrote:Count me in for this concert, too.
Also booked the Mandolay hotel, which airport is nearest to Guildford?
Nearest airport is probably Gatwick Sue, but Heathrow is only a couple of miles further = both under 20 miles from Guildford I reckon.

If you can get cheap flights to either of those two it shouldn't be too expensive to get to Guildford.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Karppoo

Post by Karppoo »

Hello!

I´mk the new one here in Libera Dreams. I´ve seen Libere twice, both times in London 2011 & 2012 November. And I have been listening Libera many years. We are gonig to be in Guildford and Mandolay hotel too !!! Can't wait....
catherine

Post by catherine »

People, you are all so lucky to get to go to so many Libera concerts ! I'm quite envious actually :lol:
Karppoo wrote:Hello!

I´mk the new one here in Libera Dreams. I´ve seen Libere twice, both times in London 2011 & 2012 November. And I have been listening Libera many years. We are gonig to be in Guildford and Mandolay hotel too !!! Can't wait....
Hello and welcome to the forum !
maybe you can tell us a little bit more about yourself here > http://www.libera-dreams.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=9 hehehe.
Hope you'll enjoy it here :)
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Tickets sales for Guildford concert will start next week, Thursday 14/02/13 at 14:00.

http://www.ticketweb.co.uk/event/libera ... kets/40341

Premium Tickets (front few rows): £30
General Seating: £17.50

Get ready for the rush, remember what occurred twice last year ;)
Arundel, all 100 Premiums tickets sold in 50 minutes.
St George, all 100 Premiums tickets sold in 30 minutes !
theforestdweller
Silver Member

Post by theforestdweller »

Thanks for the tip-off. I shall have two PCs connected via broadband link to the Ticketweb site and my Laptop connected via a slow speed modem to the telephone line as a failsafe in case the broadband goes down :)
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe" - Einstein
paul
Site Admin

Post by paul »

Thanks FDL i shall be in the restroom at work 5 minutes prior to ticket sales :)
Joe Snelling Quote: "It's odd cuz my voice is low but I do quite a lot of the top notes"

"Music and rhythm find their way into the secret places of the soul"

- Plato
Choirfan
Silver Member

Post by Choirfan »

Lets hope Ticketweb do not make a mess of the tickets like they did the last time. I think they should forego the steep booking fee for those affected by the non showing up of tickets for the UK concerts in November (like they will ever do that!)

And Paul, i thought only yankees refer to it as the restroom, isn't it called The Bog in england?! :lol:
"You are not alone"
alpha

Post by alpha »

Hi,

It will be my first time too. I am driving down as I only live about an hour away.

What to expect??? Any hints and tips for a first timer?? What to wear, what not to wear??

Camera?? Photos during the performance?? (That has to be a No??)

Is there usually a programme?? Does it cost???

Meet and greet???

Will the cathedral be open during the day? Will there be tech rehearsals??

Is there anything else that could enhance the day/evening.

Cheers.

PS. I'm quite excited about this!!!!
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Hi Alpha :)

Here my thoughts, based on my experience of concerts.

What to expect???
Expect a nice concert and nothing else :)
Last year a French newcomer came to Arundel, expecting a lot of things unrealistic, like chat and talks with the boys, contact, handshake, video recording and so. He had "only" a very nice concert, on a very well located seat, and despite this he felt deeply frustrated, causing him crisis and depression.
this person is an extreme case and is not representative fortunately, but this is the message : to be short and dry, we will sit, they will sing, we will leave.
Having a brilliant concert is what you have to expect :)

Any hints and tips for a first timer??
The main point : don't arrive too late at the queue. Better for you to loose 2 or 3 hours in a small queue rather than to save 2 or 3 hours and find yourself seated far in the back of the church.
Have with you a folding umbrella, a little snack.
Be prepared to talk and exchange with unknown people around you :)

What to wear, what not to wear??
Just dress in a nice and comfortable way for you :) Some (a lot) are in jeans, some wears a jacket (a few), almost none wears a tie ;)

Camera?? Photos during the performance?? (That has to be a No??)
Absolutely no photo is allowed during the concert. A few people use the vague moment at the very end, during the bowings, to take a few photos, but this is the max you may do.
of course before the concert you can take a lot of photo of the venue, the building, inside, outside, the empty stage...

Is there usually a programme?? Does it cost???
Yes, there's always a programme.
A few years ago it could have been a simple A4 B&W photocopied paper sheet, nowadays it's more a 8-12 A4 pages libretto, full color :)
Price is usually cheap in UK 2-3 pounds. it's possible they also sell pre-signed programs at price £5 or £10 (?)

Meet and greet???
No chance at all. There was no M&G in UK since 2008. Don't expect anything because there will be nothing.

Will the cathedral be open during the day? Will there be tech rehearsals??
Usually the church on a concert day remain open to the public until 15:00, 15h30 or 16h00 at max.
before that you are free to walk in and see the technical setup, lights, sounds... be careful not to disturb the techs ;)
When the choir will arrive, the church will closed and the queue will start to really forms. The boys will enter by a side or back door and you will not see them. All the choir rehearsals are done with doors closed, you will see nothing and hear almost nothing ;)

Is there anything else that could enhance the day/evening.
Depending of the announced weather, dress yourself in adequate way to bear the cold, the rain, the sun....
Check 5 times that you have not forgotten your ticket at home :)
if you start the queue early, which I encourage you to do, be prepared to have no diner till the end of the concert, so a snack in a backpack is a good idea.
If you have one, try to have with you a small cardboard tube, if there's any poster sold at a desk at intermission.
Last edited by fan_de_LoK on Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Patrick has covered everything very thoroughly. If you do get there early make sure you introduce yourself - we don't wan't another secret fan like Jimmy Riddle! Try and play the 'put a name to the person in the queue' game. Not sure if I'll be there but if I am keep an eye open for the Morgan Freeman lookalikey :D
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love