A first timer....

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Moderator: Moderators

alpha

A first timer....

Post by alpha »

Hi, i have just 'discovered' Libera. I was looking for some Christmas music and came across Libera. Wow, I was absolutely smitten by the Christmas Album and went on the hunt for more, youtube and iTunes ect. There has been nothing else playing in our house this Christmas....... I feel that I have probably watched every video and downloaded every track in a week!!!!!

I was a boy soprano in 2 church choirs, quite some time ago now, nothing flash, but our choirmaster was at that time just out of St Paul's Cathedral. So standards were high!!! I particularly enjoyed Christmas services, the thrill of singing the descant parts to the traditional carols was one I will never forget and I guess those feelings are something close to what the boys get from singing with Libera.

A house move as a child ended my choral singing days as our new church had an all girls choir (hmmm!!) and I was quickly 'promoted' to Altar boy!!! I was at that time learning the Cornet (Brass Band - Trumpet??) This became my main musical focus, performing with some exceptional Brass Bands and later with some Marching Bands. I still teach brass with a local youth marching band. The similarities with Libera are quite startling, everyday kids, perfecting their music in an unconventional way, dedicating huge amounts of time and commitment and touring as one massive family. It's great to belong to an organisation and having a part in developing kids to excel in music. It's good for the soul. As part of our marching band, it's a Drum and Bugle corps for those in the states, we have an adult Big Band where I get to squeal away with my trumpet, kinda making up for no longer being able to sing the high parts. Although I will admit to singing a few descants at church this week, albeit falsetto soprano - badly!!!!

Anyway, that's probably enough from me ....... as you may have worked out, I'm in the UK. Now all I want is to get to see them live. Asia is out of the question, heres hoping there will be some UK dates this summer.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Re: A first timer....

Post by maartendas »

Welcome Alpha!
Thanks for sharing your musical journey. It's true that belonging to a group of musicians can teach you different values and offers beautiful experiences. I hope you enjoy your time spent here :) and I'm sure you will get to see the boys live sooner or later.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Hello Alpha - is your favourite song 'I Am The Day'?

Welcome is as welcome does:

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
alpha

Post by alpha »

Yorkie wrote:Hello Alpha - is your favourite song 'I Am The Day'?
Thanks for the welcome, how sweet!,

Why do you think that 'I Am The Day' would be my favourite?

I think it shows the great range of Libera, both vocally and styles, but my favourites are 'Going Home', 'Lullaby', 'Far Away' and 'Libera'.
Probably a bit conventional but it is still a voyage of discovery for me at the moment.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

alpha wrote:
Yorkie wrote:Hello Alpha - is your favourite song 'I Am The Day'?
Why do you think that 'I Am The Day' would be my favourite?
Because of the lyrics:

"I am the Alpha and Omega..."

;)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
alpha

Post by alpha »

Ah... I see now. Lol

Alpha was the name of my first boat. I use it a lot, it's special to me. :D
LuxVenit
Silver Member

Post by LuxVenit »

Brilliant! A former choirboy, altar boy, AND brass player! Welcome to Libera Dreams, and to the stunning world of Libera!

While I was never a choirboy (I am the wrong gender, hehe) I did function as somewhat of an altar assistant when I was a kid, though the term "altar boy" or even "altar girl" isn't really used in my church denomination. Same idea though I'd imagine. I also play trumpet, though it sounds like not quite the same way you do, lol, but we're all kindred screaming brass spirits at heart, right? And to have found Libera AND this forum? Quite fortunate you are, methinks. ;)

Anyway, welcome welcome.
“My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary.” ― Martin Luther
alpha

Post by alpha »

LuxVenit wrote: While I was never a choirboy (I am the wrong gender, hehe) I did function as somewhat of an altar assistant when I was a kid, though the term "altar boy" or even "altar girl" isn't really used in my church denomination.
Even in the 1980's the UK had a long way to go with political correctness.....