Spam

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

kay
Silver Member

Spam

Post by kay »

Someone mentioned the attacks by these recently. I can't even being to understand what the spammers get out of it. No-one takes the blind bit of notice, all it does is clog up the board.
So a big hand for the moderators who have the unenviable task of taking these down, a task they could well do without.
I Listen To the Music Of Angels
maartendas
Diamond Member

Re: Spam

Post by maartendas »

Oh but it's one of life's little pleasures, sweeping these boards clean :mrgreen:
And to be honest, it doesn't have to happen that often.
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

In the past few weeks its become very frequent.
viabuona
Gold Member

Post by viabuona »

Yes, we have at the moment a really nice 'Spam-Attack' and what you are seeing is only the top of the iceberg. We deleted/banned/blocked around 240 Members/IP- and e-mail adresses only in the last seven days (a big 'Thank you' to the moderators for the great help).

I made some changements on the forum settings to minimize this and I will install in the near future also some tools against. Of course I'll not say here what was done and what will be made :wink:
kay wrote:I can't even being to understand what the spammers get out of it. No-one takes the blind bit of notice, all it does is clog up the board.
The reason for spamming is not that people will buy whatever they announce (in difference to the e-mail spam). Spammers includes links in the posts and usually also in her profile and signature. The meaning for this is to increase the rating in the search engines. More links from different websites to the same endpoint means more importance for that site.
timjanni

Post by timjanni »

For quite a long time I had something like 50 new account registrations on my board every day. I checked them all manually against spam databases and deleted or confirmed them. Finally I implemented a Libera related question in the registration process and got my life back. :)

Seems that no spam bot ever heard of Libera. ;)
viabuona
Gold Member

Post by viabuona »

Yes, I had the same idea and I'm sure this helps for some short time. Spamers are doing a stupid work - but behind there are some smart programmers.
I'ts a real cat and mouse game - and I prefere to be the cat :mrgreen:
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

It's getting insane on the board. Does it help you guys if everytime I visit I tag each spam message, or how about if I just tag the top one in the thread? From now on I'm just going to hit the little exclamation mark and not bother to click on the type of spam or the notify me circles.
viabuona
Gold Member

Post by viabuona »

TullyBascombe wrote:It's getting insane on the board. Does it help you guys if everytime I visit I tag each spam message, or how about if I just tag the top one in the thread? From now on I'm just going to hit the little exclamation mark and not bother to click on the type of spam or the notify me circles.
To tag each spam message would be fine so we can see those messages with a red background and they are also reported. Thanks for your help :D
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Just reported about 15-20 messages, the spammer is online and he spreads his shit everywhere.
Too bad for him, everything will be cleared in no time... :roll:
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Seems there is some targeting going on - could we temporarily set up a system where new members have to be cleared by an Admin/Mod before they can post?

I can't help but feel that there is some malicious targeting of the forum going on here. If you need a hand, temporarily, to deal with removing spam i would be willing to help out until the problem reduces.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
viabuona
Gold Member

Post by viabuona »

Most important the forum as biger the spams. And don't forgett: Even the Justin Biber fans starts to announce her tickest sales places here :lol:

Well, the first changements for registrations are made and in the next few hours I'll install a new CAPTCHA-System and I hope that then we can reduce this nonsens. :roll:
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Thanks Antonio, keep up the good work :D
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Nutz, I hate captcha.
It's very irritating though when I've gone through most of the forum I see a bunch of new spam messages have appeared in sectionsd I've already viewed.
Last edited by TullyBascombe on Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

You guys must be doing an amazing job because when I log in there is hardly any spam. And I log in often during daytime (Dutch daytime that is ;)).
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
kay
Silver Member

Post by kay »

I agree with maartendas you're doing a great job. I also pop by several times, although I dont log in each time, to see what's happening.
I Listen To the Music Of Angels