Concert in St George, London, 16th November 2012

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

Malibu
Silver Member

Re: Concert in St George, London, 16th November 2012

Post by Malibu »

Hmm, I can get round trip flights for €40 flying into London Stansted.

The problem is the hotel. I have a bunch of Hilton points I can use, but it appears the Hiltons are crazy expensive (even using points). Anyone have any good recommendations for hotels that are close?
Lead, kindly light amid the circling gloom.
Lead thou me on.
The night is dark and I am far from home.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

I was surprised to see the already high booking level on London's hotels.
Maybe there is some big congress in town at that moment ? Even the very cheap hotels in the Argyle area were almost all full. I booked my hotel on the evening of the concert announce, the day next it was full.

I think you have no other choice to go on booking.com or hotels.com and look by yourself for the best combination of location/price/reputation...
Lauren
Silver Member

Post by Lauren »

Malibu wrote:Hmm, I can get round trip flights for €40 flying into London Stansted.

Hi, Tim! Are you flying in from Detroit? Where are you finding such a low price? :o
http://www.mini-angels.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Malibu
Silver Member

Post by Malibu »

Lauren wrote:
Malibu wrote:Hmm, I can get round trip flights for €40 flying into London Stansted.

Hi, Tim! Are you flying in from Detroit? Where are you finding such a low price? :o
Hi Lauren, no, I moved to Germany about 2 months ago, so those prices are from Frankfurt to London. That would be awesome if you could find trans-atlantic flights for that price :)

fan_de_LaK
I'm currently trying to find hotels. I did check booking.com and there are a decent amount that I could actually afford, but they tend to be further out. Anyone know how far out the public transportation system goes? I don't mind a decent walk, but if I had to walk from 5 miles out, that might be a bit much. Ugh, I just don't know anything about London (or big cities in general...)
Lead, kindly light amid the circling gloom.
Lead thou me on.
The night is dark and I am far from home.
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Malibu wrote:Anyone know how far out the public transportation system goes? I don't mind a decent walk, but if I had to walk from 5 miles out, that might be a bit much. Ugh, I just don't know anything about London (or big cities in general...)
I suggest you to use the TFL site (Transports oF London)
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/X ... anguage=en

It will give you the walking duration to go from the address of the hotel you want to check, to the nearest train or underground station.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Lauren wrote:Premium tickets have sold out already! It was around 30 minutes from the time tickets went on sale. Is that a record? :D
Could be, but it is destined to be broken so long as concerts at this venue are repeated. I got my six premium tickets at 10.01 Atlantic Time (for me, my sister and various nieces and nephews - as usual, unfortunately Mrs.B has other commitments).
I did give fair warning that this would happen.
Don't despair. There are still general admission seats available (not for long I suspect) and this will certainly be a night to remember wherever you may be seated.

John
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Malibu wrote: I'm currently trying to find hotels. I did check booking.com and there are a decent amount that I could actually afford, but they tend to be further out. Anyone know how far out the public transportation system goes? I don't mind a decent walk, but if I had to walk from 5 miles out, that might be a bit much. Ugh, I just don't know anything about London (or big cities in general...)
As anyone who was in London for the Olympics will confirm, the London public transport system is excellent. The closest subway (underground) station to St. George's is Lamberh North on the Bakerloo Line and is only about 5 minutes walking distance from the Cathedral. For a one off trip it is probably best to pay at the ticket office, but if you are going to make frequent use of the service it is well worth while to purchase an Oyster card (small initial fee) then top as necessary. Get a subway map at www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/standard-tube-map.pdf . As with most big cities, there are good and bad neighbourhoods. I favour Chiswick (also handy for Heathrow) or Hampstead. Central London is also usually ok, but more expensive and parking fees are ridiculous.The "Mean streets of South London" (Libera's quote, not mine) are an option that I personally would not choose - though I did go to school in Blackheath, not a million miles from Norbury. But that was 50 years ago - and times and have changed.
Good luck

John
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Choirfan wrote:I'd say you'd be lucky to have Christmas songs included given its 9 days earlier than the concert last year, and so might be considered premature. Of course they were also promoting the Christmas album last year as it had just been released. I'm sure it will be on sale there though, and well you never know with these things.

I agree that Still, still and Veni were for me last year the standout songs of that concert.
My money is on some Christmas songs being included. Don't know why, it's just a feeling.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

fan_de_LoK wrote:I was surprised to see the already high booking level on London's hotels.
Maybe there is some big congress in town at that moment ? Even the very cheap hotels in the Argyle area were almost all full. I booked my hotel on the evening of the concert announce, the day next it was full.

I think you have no other choice to go on booking.com or hotels.com and look by yourself for the best combination of location/price/reputation...
I think it might be the Olympics - people didn't visit in the summer because they thought it would be too busy or expensive (everywhere put their prices up) so they are coming later when it has calmed down. Or at least, that is my theory..........

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

john45 wrote: Could be, but it is destined to be broken so long as concerts at this venue are repeated. I got my six premium tickets at 10.01 Atlantic Time (for me, my sister and various nieces and nephews - as usual, unfortunately Mrs.B has other commitments).
I did give fair warning that this would happen.
Don't despair. There are still general admission seats available (not for long I suspect) and this will certainly be a night to remember wherever you may be seated.

John
6? I hope they are paying you back :D No wonder they sold out quickly. Now, I think we need to try and sort out a queuing system that helps reduce the scrum at the front door. Anybody got any suggestions?

Mercy & Love
Lumi
Silver Member

Post by Lumi »

Yorkie wrote:6? I hope they are paying you back :D No wonder they sold out quickly. Now, I think we need to try and sort out a queuing system that helps reduce the scrum at the front door. Anybody got any suggestions?
What type of a system were you thinking?

I'm just wondering how early one needs to be there to make it to the front seats this time. :shock: Last year it took what, three days for the premium tickets to be sold out? Now 30 minutes?
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

john45 wrote:I got my six premium tickets at 10.01 Atlantic Time
I took 4 tickets. Two buyers and already 10% from the quota of 100 premiums was gone :mrgreen:
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

I normally get there about 1pm and there is about 10 people there already. But with premium seats you are always going to be in the first 5 or so rows anyway.
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

Yorkie wrote:
I think we need to try and sort out a queuing system that helps reduce the scrum at the front door. Anybody got any suggestions?
[/quote]

You and I alone could block the door! (Though the svelte FDL might break through).
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Too be fair i dont think a organized queue will work as we all know there are a few that seem to think they can just push in at the front when they get there at 5pm.