Instruments

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

Flora
Silver Member

Post by Flora »

whitetail1985 wrote:No sadly not, our highschool band never competed :cry: And our director never mentioned touring bands like the Madison Scouts which is right down the road :evil: I didn't find out about them until I was 20 so trying out just for one year didn't make sense to me :?

Flora have you ever been to the DCI world championships? I got to go to one when it was held here in Madison 8)

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm sorry you didn't get to compete! It's very fun, but very stressful. Competitive or not, though, marching band is one of the most fulfilling experiences ever! I'm so happy you got to be involved. Can you tell me more about the Madison Scouts?

OH MY GOODNESS!! You know about the Cavaliers?? They are my favorite drum and bugle corps of all time!! Here in Colorado we hold Drums Along The Rockies (http://datr.bknights.org/) and I was privileged enough to see them in 2002. The Cavs won, naturally, and their performance was what inspired me to stay in band camp. I owe them so much! Here was their show that year, if you ever have time to watch it. (In the second part, 4:11 to the end is one the most amazing bits of marching band choreography I've ever seen.)

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... re=related
Last edited by Flora on Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
Flora
Silver Member

Post by Flora »

TEB wrote:I was a member of the Westshoremen Senior Drum & Bugle Corps for 8 years. I played second soprano bugle for all 8 years. The Westshoremen belonged to and competed in the DCA( Drum Corps Associates). When I joined, we were in 10th place(last) at the finals. We rose to 2nd place and then dropped to 4th, which was my last year. As I said before, the touring schedule got to me. Every weekend from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Sometimes 2 shows a weekend. With several practices during the week. While I do miss the performing, I really don't miss the touring.
That is amazing! I admire your dedication in staying with them for so long, since it sounds like it ate up a lot of your time...what a rewarding experience, though!!
whitetail1985

Post by whitetail1985 »

Flora wrote:Can you tell me more about the Madison Scouts?

OH MY GOODNESS!! You know about the Cavaliers?? They are my favorite drum and bugle corps of all time!!
(In the second part, 4:11 to the end is one the most amazing bits of marching band choreography I've ever seen.)
Well they are much like the Cavies... This year at the world champ, they finished 15th i believe, so they are not quite as good as the Cavies :) Its an all male Drum and bugle corps they usually perform in many of the same competitions as well http://madisonscouts.org/Madison_Scouts/Home.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course I know about the Cavies they are also my favorite Corps of all time :D and those clips...I didn't need to watch them, I've seen them about twenty times before :D The show was about ten miles from my home so can you guess which one of the crowd was me?? And i'm pretty sure that this was the first year DCI allowed more open choreography and the Cavies used it to their advantage :D I think the colorguard may have got a perfect score for this show :?:

Its too bad though 2006 was the last year they championships were held in Madison so for the next like 10 or so years they are gonna be held in Indiana :(
Dennis
whitetail1985

Post by whitetail1985 »

Flora have you ever seen BLAST the show??
Dennis
Narnian

Post by Narnian »

Flora wrote: I forgot to ask, does anyone here know any Libera songs? I’ve been practicing some of them along with Tomoliena’s lovely piano versions on YouTube.
Not yet but I would like :roll:
If somebody knows chords of Liberas songs, please be free to post it or make a new topic for chords! ;) why not? :)
:wink: it’s nice to be important, but it’s more important to be nice :wink:
Flora
Silver Member

Post by Flora »

whitetail1985 wrote:Well they are much like the Cavies... This year at the world champ, they finished 15th i believe, so they are not quite as good as the Cavies :) Its an all male Drum and bugle corps they usually perform in many of the same competitions as well http://madisonscouts.org/Madison_Scouts/Home.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course I know about the Cavies they are also my favorite Corps of all time :D and those clips...I didn't need to watch them, I've seen them about twenty times before :D The show was about ten miles from my home so can you guess which one of the crowd was me?? And i'm pretty sure that this was the first year DCI allowed more open choreography and the Cavies used it to their advantage :D I think the colorguard may have got a perfect score for this show :?:

Its too bad though 2006 was the last year they championships were held in Madison so for the next like 10 or so years they are gonna be held in Indiana :(
Sorry for the late reply; it’s been a busy few weeks!

The Madison Scouts sound awesome. I’m only an active follower of the Cavs and the Blue Knights (local pride!) but it’s impossible for me not to admire any band that makes it to the world championships. Also, the Scouts have amazing uniforms!

You’ve seen the Cavaliers over twenty times? I am so jealous!! Thanks for the information—yeah, new choreography rules would certainly explain that killer ldance break of theirs. I’d totally believe the guard got a perfect score. Phew, all those talented gentlemen…I swooned when I saw them. The Cav’s guard is easily as iconic to me as the corps itself, for good reason, I think.

Sorry to hear about the change of venue! Do you ever take road trips to Indiana to see them, or is that too much of a hassle?

I’ve never seen Blast! Have you? If you have, you should tell me all about it!
Narnian wrote:Not yet but I would like :roll:
If somebody knows chords of Liberas songs, please be free to post it or make a new topic for chords! ;) why not? :)
Seconded! I arranged a few very basic passages from Libera songs to use as ringtones for my cell phone, and it sure gave me some perspective on how intricate their harmonies are.
yo-tiffa-gurt

Post by yo-tiffa-gurt »

Not yet but I would like :roll:
If somebody knows chords of Liberas songs, please be free to post it or make a new topic for chords! ;) why not? :)[/quote]

Well i know that "you were there" is in C sharp major (so you can form your own version off that.) and i'll fiddle around and try to figure some out. :D
dance like no one is watching,
sing like no one is listening,
and live life to the fullest.
Flora
Silver Member

Post by Flora »

You know what Libera song is ridiculously hard to play (at least on flute)? Sancte. In their key, these are the first notes:

B natural
E flat
A flat
B flat
B natural
A flat
E natural
D flat
G flat

I can't carry a tune, so I won't say that singing is easier to do, but sometimes lovely vocals create nightmares for instrumentalists.
ellensi

Re:

Post by ellensi »

Hello! I see that you are waiting for some string players. I play violin and piano. :)
Actually, I participated as a member of the string quartet on Libera's recent concert in Singapore.
Flora wrote:You know what Libera song is ridiculously hard to play (at least on flute)? Sancte.
I can't carry a tune, so I won't say that singing is easier to do, but sometimes lovely vocals create nightmares for instrumentalists.
That is so true. Libera loves "black" keys, and they prefer flats to sharps. The song Sanctissima featured in the Singapore concert was in A-flat minor (7 flats); and Steven knew well that it had been string players' favourite! :wink:

I don't really understand why they had used 7 flats instead of the enharmonic 5 sharps—perhaps to produce a darker tone. The song I Vow To Thee used 5 sharps, and it sounded a bit brighter in tone. Therefore, I think the song Sancte would be in the "dark" A-flat minor (7 flats); and the song You Were There would be in D-flat major (6 flats).
Narnian wrote:If somebody knows chords of Liberas songs, please be free to post it or make a new topic for chords! ;) why not? :)
Sounds good! What chords are you referring to? Do you mean plain text chords like guitar chords? I can help transcribing chords, but Libera's harmonies are often too complicated to be written in a chord symbol!
Two staffs will make it: a single bass line plus a chord line. Not an exact piano sheet music, though.

I am dreaming of an online orchestra. Do you think we can do it?
Last edited by ellensi on Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sue
Silver Member

Re: Instruments

Post by Sue »

I play piano/keyboard & the melodica. Love the melodica the most, it's such a simple & handy instrument.
Better for travelling than the big keyboard :D
maartendas
Diamond Member

Re: Re:

Post by maartendas »

ellensi wrote:Hello! I see that you are waiting for some string players. I play violin and piano. :)
Actually, I participated as a member of the string quartet on Libera's recent concert in Singapore.
Hello and welcome to the Forum!
Wow that's interesting and such an honour that you got to play with them :) Perhaps you can tell us more about your experience? Like how you got involved and what it was like to work with so much talent in one room 8) :D

I have to say by your first post alone you made me look at Libera songs in a way I never looked at them before!
I have the sheet music for Song of Life sitting on my keyboard (I know how to play the piano, a little - quit lessons as a kid, sadly) but I still haven't learned it...
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
ellensi

Re: Re:

Post by ellensi »

maartendas wrote:Wow that's interesting and such an honour that you got to play with them :) Perhaps you can tell us more about your experience? Like how you got involved and what it was like to work with so much talent in one room 8) :D

I have to say by your first post alone you made me look at Libera songs in a way I never looked at them before!
Yes, it was indeed an honour to be invited to play with them when we weren't professionals. We were just from our university string orchestra. We had a network with the event organiser, and they invited us to collaborate with Libera as a quartet.

We rehearsed with the boys for a very short time only, so I didn't feel working with them in one room. We were involved more with the music and sound-engineering works. They did an excellent concert planning. Before the concert day, we got some quartet sheet music and tracks for listening. We discovered that they used such unguessable sound-engineering techniques to make the boys sing in pitch and in tempo. For a bit more detail, refer to Libera Timeline Part 5 blog and search for my name.

I knew Libera just when I was invited to perform, and we only met them on the concert days.
But Libera, together with their crew, has really been an inspiration for me! :D
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Hi Ellensi,

Thanks for sharing your stories and insights! :)
It gives us all some idea about the professional standard of Libera and how they manage to uphold that (not surprising but it's still impressive). They must have taken some risk in recruiting instrumentalists that they didn't have any previous experience with. It shows confidence and a willingness to work with people from the country they're touring in. It must be a cost-efficient thing as well.

I hope your musical journey will always be inspired, with Libera and other artists, influences and experiences :) And you're always welcome to share your thoughts and participate in the discussion here :)
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
LuxVenit
Silver Member

Post by LuxVenit »

Oooh, I didn't notice this thread before - glad it's revived! I play trumpet, clarinet, and oboe (in that order). I picked clarinet to learn in middle school, then when we got a new band teacher who challenged us more and I picked up trumpet for pep band. I'd always liked trumpet anyway, but it seems like there's 45 trumpets for every 1 of all the other instruments, so I went with clarinet instead. Oboe was just something I did after school when basketball season wasn't going, for another challenge. I taught myself to play trumpet and oboe.

Today I have my own trumpet and clarinet, but have only played my trumpet for church. The clarinet is/was in the process of being recorked/repadded, but I haven't had the funds to get it finished. It'd be cool to play Libera songs on my instruments...probably clarinet more than trumpet, but they're both B flat key instruments so any music I can figure out could be used for both. Anyway, that's my instrumental repertoire. 8)
“My heart, which is so full to overflowing, has often been solaced and refreshed by music when sick and weary.” ― Martin Luther