Right Now

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

Szepilona
Silver Member

Re: Right Now

Post by Szepilona »

TullyBascombe wrote:I just got home from vacationing in Williamsburg. We left for vacation last Saturday. The night before we were hit by a huge storm, a "Derichio", with winds approaching 100 mph (160 kph). These storms are normally confined to Mexico and the Southwest US, but for about a week before the storm the Midwest had been experiencing record temperatures, well above 100 Fahrenheit. The Friday night the stored energy released in the form of a massive windstorm stretching from upper Illinois and lower Michigan, crossing Indiana, Ohio, Tennessee and West Virginia before sweeping over Pennsylvannia, Maryland, Virginia and North Carolina before finally abating over the mid-portion of the US East Coast. It knocked out power for 5 million people initially, by late Saturday 2 to 3 million people were still without power.
The power at my house flickered a few times, but stayed on. My friends across the river, however, were without power into the middle of the week.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

As of late last night about 200,000 people in West Virginia were still without power.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

I hope all our US members and friends are doing okay again.

Here's a question for all of you, but especially for Yorkie - can you caption this picture? (hint: it's choral related...)
:)

(Funnily enough it's also related to the Inspector Lynley episode I just watched ;))
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Caption the picture? Not sure what you mean Maarten but I know who they are :D - next you'll be watching Inspector Morse.

Speaking of watching tv, I've just been watching the first episode of the 90's tv show 'The Choir' with Anthony Way.
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Yorkie wrote:Caption the picture? Not sure what you mean Maarten but I know who they are :D - next you'll be watching Inspector Morse.

Speaking of watching tv, I've just been watching the first episode of the 90's tv show 'The Choir' with Anthony Way.
I meant: give a description of what you see in the picture - isn't that what you call a caption :?:
You had a good TV evening as well then :)
P.S.: for everyone else - the picture shows the choral scholars of New College Oxford preparing for a concert... ;)
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

maartendas wrote: I meant: give a description of what you see in the picture - isn't that what you call a caption :?:
P.S.: for everyone else - the picture shows the choral scholars of New College Oxford preparing for a concert... ;)
Yes, caption at its most literal means that but often putting a caption to a picture in the UK would mean trying to come up with something funny rather than descriptive.

Have you ever seen The Choir? The music is a bit lacking in truth but it is an interesting tale of politics in a religious setting. If you've never seen it I could maybe try and upload it to YouTube or something.

Mercy & Love
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Yorkie wrote:
maartendas wrote: I meant: give a description of what you see in the picture - isn't that what you call a caption :?:
Yes, caption at its most literal means that but often putting a caption to a picture in the UK would mean trying to come up with something funny rather than descriptive.

Have you ever seen The Choir? The music is a bit lacking in truth but it is an interesting tale of politics in a religious setting. If you've never seen it I could maybe try and upload it to YouTube or something.
Ah okay, I see ;)

I don't think I've ever seen The Choir, only heard of it.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

maartendas wrote:I don't think I've ever seen The Choir, only heard of it.
I've uploaded episode 1

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]

I can do the other episodes if you think you might be interested.

Hmmh, the lip synch seems a little out when I watch on my netbook - is that the same for you?
Last edited by Yorkie on Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

and episode 2 is here:

[BBvideo 425,350][/BBvideo]

Mercy & Love
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Thanks! Something to look forward to in the coming weeks. I tried a random bit and the lip synch seems a tiny bit off but not too bad :)
Lumi
Silver Member

Post by Lumi »

Thank you Yorkie for uploading those! I have been looking for the series absolutely everywhere on the Internet.
Szepilona
Silver Member

Post by Szepilona »

right now, I'm using the computer in our local library, due to the power outages in my town. Over 40 trees have gone down in the 10 block radius around my house, causing damage to 3 transformers and 7 elecricity poles. Fortunately, I have not seen any major damage to houses or cars, and no injuries have been reported. Unfortunately, my sister had her wisdom teeth removed today and there isn't power to keep ice for her mouth or for air conditioning in the very humid 90oF. There isn't word from AEP yet on how long we will be without electricity.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

Are you guys out west sending us another Derecho? You can stop now. Really you can.
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Lumi wrote:Thank you Yorkie for uploading those! I have been looking for the series absolutely everywhere on the Internet.
Why didn't you say? :D I'll try and get the other three episodes uploaded today. Let me know what you think.

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Szepilona wrote:right now, I'm using the computer in our local library, due to the power outages in my town. Over 40 trees have gone down in the 10 block radius around my house, causing damage to 3 transformers and 7 elecricity poles. Fortunately, I have not seen any major damage to houses or cars, and no injuries have been reported. Unfortunately, my sister had her wisdom teeth removed today and there isn't power to keep ice for her mouth or for air conditioning in the very humid 90oF. There isn't word from AEP yet on how long we will be without electricity.
That sounds like a nightmare, hope it gets fixed soon. Never understood why you don't bury the local electricity network in the States like we do over here - protects the wires from wind/ice. Of course burying the cables does have it's downside - if you need to work on them you have to dig up the road which causes its own disruption, but much more manageable than losing power to whole districts for days on end in those kinds of temperatures.

Mercy & Love