Summer 2012 Concerts - Jersey and Guernsey

Talks and reviews about Libera concerts or public appearances

Moderator: Moderators

john45
Gold Member

Re: Summer 2012 Concerts - Jersey and Guernsey

Post by john45 »

Yorkie wrote: John, just a thought but will the rental company let you take the car out of the UK? I kind of doubt they will let you take it on the ferry to be honest.
Taking a rental car out of the UK is certainly allowed but I'm beginning to think that despite the hassle of getting from Heathrow to Gatwick and the fact that Jersey only seems to have limited automatic cars (eg ford fiesta which is rather small for my size), flying might be the better option for me. Ferry takes about 4 hrs from Poole and is not cheap.
Have you looked at hotels? I have made provisional reservations through booking.com ( no deposit/no commitment) just in case rooms are in short supply later on. My biggest concern is what to do in the four days between concerts. I have never been to the Channel Islands and don't know what it has to offer other than beaches - and I am not a beach person.
tom413
Gold Member

Post by tom413 »

Before this morning, I'd never even heard of the Channel Islands.
Assuming I can get some travel details worked out, I plan to go there. :)

Doing some scouting around on the travel sites, it seems my best bet
would be to fly directly into and out of the islands.

One of the big questions in my mind is when to leave Jersey and head
for Guernsey. I'm hoping somebody in the group has been there before and can discuss
which place is worth more of a tourist's time.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

So it's going to be like a little summer island holiday for the boys.
TullyBascombe
Platinum Member

Post by TullyBascombe »

So it's going to be like a little summer island holiday for the boys.
Rebecca (:
Platinum Member

Post by Rebecca (: »

I was really hoping to go, but it's just too last minute for me to fly all the way over there and such! Absolutely gutted! :( Hopefully next time...
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

john45 wrote:
Taking a rental car out of the UK is certainly allowed but I'm beginning to think that despite the hassle of getting from Heathrow to Gatwick and the fact that Jersey only seems to have limited automatic cars (eg ford fiesta which is rather small for my size), flying might be the better option for me. Ferry takes about 4 hrs from Poole and is not cheap.
Have you looked at hotels? I have made provisional reservations through booking.com ( no deposit/no commitment) just in case rooms are in short supply later on. My biggest concern is what to do in the four days between concerts. I have never been to the Channel Islands and don't know what it has to offer other than beaches - and I am not a beach person.
I think it is pretty much beaches and walking to be honest John. Agree about the car as the cost of getting it there is probably not worth it. By all accounts there are lots of buses on the islands and nothing is too far away - so you wouldn't need to spend a huge amount of time in the car.

Hotels have me worried and I've panic booked a couple on both islands - not the 5* luxury you will be used to of course but pricier than I was hoping :wink:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/artic ... udget.html

http://jersey.com/english/sightsandacti ... fault.aspx

http://www.visitguernsey.com/attractions/
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
Horticult2000

Post by Horticult2000 »

Yorkie wrote:Sorry to hear that Viabuona, it won't be the same without you :(

This is an interesting choice but not without its challenges, particularly transportation. I can get to and from Jersey from my local airport at a reasonable cost but then you have to get too and from the airport and Island hop + back to Jersey for a flight home. A car would seem essential,

Currently looking at flights in to Jersey on the 31st July and out of Jersey on the 9th. There is a ferry between Jersey and Guernsey but taking a car adds about 80 Euros to the fare so probably easier to just hire a car on each island.

Looks like there is some planning to do and is it worth looking at accommodation without knowing the location of the concerts? I also wonder if the same guy that took the Drakies to the Islands is the guy who is helping Libera?
Hello Yorkie, Some planning to do indeed, and a choice to make. For me there is a flight from Rotterdam, but only on saturdays, so I have to take a week, one saturday going and the next back. Two weeks is just too much. The ferry is possible, but I found the ferry from St.Malo very expensive, especially with a car. I think I will pick Guernsey, you too?
Johan
Horticult2000

Post by Horticult2000 »

TullyBascombe wrote:So it's going to be like a little summer island holiday for the boys.

That is exactly what it is I think. I know they did not want te be around London during the Olympics, so this fits quite nicely
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

paul30003 wrote:Can I suggest a cheaper option FDL.

Eurostar to London, then train from London Liverpool street to London Southend airport. My local airport. Easyjet offer flights return from £44
Thank you very much for the suggestion Paul, it's surely a very cheap way to join Jersey from England :D

Seen this morning, the fare is even lower to £44 : £32, with an incredible £2.50 for the way back :shock: (a bug ? ) Image
I carefully checked each schedule so see if all was compatible together and it is.
Including all (eurostars, trains, flights, boat to go back from Guernsey to Jersey), the total amount of the journey from France is around 200-220 € (~ £175) :)
From Paris to Jersey, the journey will be 6h30 long for way in and 12h30 long for way back, mostly due to the ferry from Guernsey and a long wait in St Pancras for the eurostar.

It's cheap for sure, but 12h30 is a little long. Especially when remembering than Jersey is only at 22 Km away from French coast ! (I could go quicker by walking if it was possible :lol:)

So I kept my chose to use Flybe for flights Paris-Jersey and Guernsey-Paris, 300 € return.
More expensive but much more easier and comfortable ;)

I exposed you suggestion Eurostar + Easyjet to Bullehynka, she is located in North of France and this solution may be very helpful for her, especially with the Eurostar stop in Lille. In addition her journeys would be shorter than leaving from Paris.
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

Patrick have you found any nice hotels yet?
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

No Dani, I have not yet found a nice Hotel, because I have not yet started to look for anything there.

I had very few free time this week, I just did my flights booking.

I will look for hotels and tourist places to go this week-end ;)
JimmyRiddle
Diamond Member

Post by JimmyRiddle »

fan_de_LoK wrote:So I kept my chose to use Flybe for flights Paris-Jersey and Guernsey-Paris, 300 € return.
More expensive but much more easier and comfortable ;)
Why is it so much more expensive to fly direct from Paris to Jersey when compared to some of the UK airports it's much closer in distance?

If i did go and looking unlikely at the moment it would only be for 2-3 days in Jersey to cover their first two concerts. However i might just wait until their next UK concert. Whenever that may be. Hope the locals turn out for them, i'm sure they will.
My Twitter; JimmyRiddlez
dani
Diamond Member

Post by dani »

fan_de_LoK wrote:No Dani, I have not yet found a nice Hotel, because I have not yet started to look for anything there.

I had very few free time this week, I just did my flights booking.

I will look for hotels and tourist places to go this week-end ;)

Thanks for the update :D

I am now all booked. It has already set me back £200 so i conclude that must make me crazy :lol:
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

To help in planning 'stuff' for your trips:

Things to do in Jersey

Jersey attractions

Mercy & Love
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Best have something for Guernsey too:

Things to do in Guernsey

Guernsey things to do

Mercy & Love