Right Now

Talk about anything else here

Moderator: Moderators

maartendas
Diamond Member

Re: Right Now

Post by maartendas »

Hello gentlemen, here's my taste of what the Westminster Abbey Choir sounds like these days (as well as St. Paul's Cathedral Choir): http://choirfan.wordpress.com/2012/05/0 ... ay-in-may/
You raise me high beyond the sky
Through stormy night lifting me above
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

maartendas wrote:Hello gentlemen, here's my taste of what the Westminster Abbey Choir sounds like these days (as well as St. Paul's Cathedral Choir): http://choirfan.wordpress.com/2012/05/0 ... ay-in-may/
Interesting write up as always Maarten. I didn't get to St P's this time but I thought they were great last time I was there. There is something really special about sitting in the Quire at WA - it is something of a spiritual experience even for the Godless :D What was the album you bought by the way the first time you visited WA and what was your boyfriends thoughts about his singing trip to England? Is he as in to choir music as you are?
If I’ve got owt to say I says it, and if I’ve got owt to ask I asks it.

Mercy & Love
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Hi Yorkie, this is the album I got last year: http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.as ... 7593&vw=dc

My boyfriend liked the experience but is not a choir geek like me ;) Mind you, he enjoys singing immensely - he knows pretty much the whole Dutch Protestant hymn book by heart, as well as tons of popular Dutch repertoire. But as a Protestant, he is more used to congregational singing than choral singing. Though I got him to join the Taizé project of my own choir, starting this month :mrgreen:
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

Oh, your in a mixed relationship then :wink: I haven't got that one so I'll keep an eye open for it next time I'm in the gift shop.

Mercy & Love
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

Right now I booked 2 musicals and an hotel in London for Saturday 15th December :)
john45
Gold Member

Post by john45 »

fan_de_LoK wrote:Right now I booked 2 musicals and an hotel in London for Saturday 15th December :)
I hope one of them was "Matilda". The new "best show in town".
fan_de_LoK
Diamond Member

Post by fan_de_LoK »

You are right John, finally I was able to get a well seated ticket :)
Usually when I had an occasion to come to London it was too close to the date event and all good seats for Matilda where gone.
Here it's 7 months in advance and good seats were available ;)
Murkskis

Post by Murkskis »

Matilda - 'Comes to life with a buzzing vitality that proves irresistible'! :) The second one might be Billy? I googled ‘Musicals in London’ and found many different options for December - the well known Billy Elliot, also Wicked, Shrek and others. Wish I could see the musical „Phantom of the Opera”. I've never heard a live version. Considering its worldwide popularity it also has to be a great performance too.
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

I've been watching the pageant on the Thames for Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee on telly all day. Great way to spend a quiet rainy Sunday indoors :) Especially after having visited London not too long ago, so plenty of fresh memories from walking along the river and recognizing some places. It was fun to see a Dutch vessel called Neeltje in the pageant as well which got quite some coverage on the BBC. Also, one commentor praised the Dutch canal system for being so well cared for :)
In return, I paid my tribute to the Brits by succesfully making a Jamie Oliver recipe for the first time in my life ;) It worked out pretty well actually ;)
Yorkie
Diamond Member

Post by Yorkie »

maartendas wrote:I've been watching the pageant on the Thames for Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee on telly all day. Great way to spend a quiet rainy Sunday indoors :) Especially after having visited London not too long ago, so plenty of fresh memories from walking along the river and recognizing some places. It was fun to see a Dutch vessel called Neeltje in the pageant as well which got quite some coverage on the BBC. Also, one commentator praised the Dutch canal system for being so well cared for :)
In return, I paid my tribute to the Brits by successfully making a Jamie Oliver recipe for the first time in my life ;) It worked out pretty well actually ;)
Hmmmh, just goes to show how we all see things differently - frankly I was bored senseless and was hoping a big wave would sweep up the Thames and sink the bloody lot of them :lol:

What was the recipe?

Mercy & Love
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

To be honest it was actually an American recipe ;) called Painted Hills potatoes (I tried to find a decent link anywhere but couldn't find one) that I combined with a piece of grilled fish. And my boyfriend made vanilla panna cotta which altogether made us feel we'd been out to a restaurant :D
LennesSL
Silver Member

Post by LennesSL »

Right now I'm dreaming of yesterday!! The first perfomance with my vocal group since I came back from Ethiopia. We won two of the three public awards and were nominated for a jury award. We're only excisting for a year so we are SOOO happy. Because we got two out of three public awards. We were pointed to perform those two songs again. And when we did a arrangement of Chasing Cars (when I have the film material I shall put it here) It's a really small nice song (not the Snow patroll version) and when we were finished the song (It was our best performance of the day, we did it three times) it was deadly quite for like 8 seconds (we counted) and then there was a BIG BIG BIG BIG!!!!! thunderous applause for like ten minuts and a standing ovation almost direct!! It was bizare!! But such a good experience!!

So I'm sitting like this :D the whole day!
Life is but a journey
Tides are always turning
Seasons come and go here but you’ll never be alone here
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

LennesSL - that's awesome! :D Thanks for sharing this experience - looking forward to the footage :)
maartendas
Diamond Member

Post by maartendas »

Yorkie wrote:
viabuona wrote:
Yorkie wrote:Now, that makes me wish I was staying an extra night in London.
Well, you should really think about :roll:
I visited Rome four times and I never had a chance to listen to this choir. I think it's really something special (and as I'm well trained for queuing ...)
So what was it like and were they good? Also, how was the Abbey choir (when you get to see them as obviously I'm asking before you have actually been)?

#edit# found this write up:

http://areluctantsinner.blogspot.co.uk/ ... nster.html
Something to look forward to - and compare both choirs:
The Choir of Westminster Abbey will sing for Pope Benedict XVI with the Cappella Musicale Pontificia ‘Sistina’, the Sistine Chapel Choir, at the Papal Mass marking the Solemnity of St Peter and St Paul, on Friday 29th June in St Peter’s Basilica. The combined choirs will sing music from the Roman tradition by Palestrina and Perosi, and the Abbey Choir will also sing music from the English choral tradition. The service will be broadcast live across the world.
Source:
http://www.westminster-abbey.org/music/ ... ntecassino
viabuona
Gold Member

Post by viabuona »

maartendas wrote:The combined choirs will sing music from the Roman tradition by Palestrina and Perosi, and the Abbey Choir will also sing music from the English choral tradition. The service will be broadcast live across the world.
Hm, the question is in which quality this will be broadcasted :roll:

BTW: I'm just back in the hotel from an amazing concert with the Riga Dom Boys Choir. I'm so happy that I took also a ticket for tomorrow's concert :mrgreen: